Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:10 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Surprise, surprise!!! What a turn of events!!!
So am I. I went to St. Anastasia CCD after school.
Silly me for assuming you were an immigrant from a "smaller minority" in Teaneck who might feel isolated & marginalized.
Either way................................ This blows my mind even more. I don't even know what to say. Adapt or get out of the way, I guess. America is for everyone, not just you.
Did you get beat up in school? Did the scary brown kids make fun of you?
Listen, I got some fat lips & bloody noses along the way, but I also learned & made good friends of all sorts.
I'm done. Make of my posts what you will.
What smaller minority is there in Teaneck than a white Irish-American Catholic girl? You think Teaneck was fun for me? You think it's fun constantly being made fun of for your skin color, or your "well-meaning" friends telling you to go get a tan, or your black Girl Scout leader making it clear that you're not welcome anymore as she ignores you every single week. Oh that's right, you're a big tough guy. Screw that.

I'll tell the truth now. I think Teaneck is a friggin messed up dump of a town that deserves it's sh*tty reputation and is only going to get worse. You want a divided town, Teaneck is your answer. Oh, yeah, we all live together in peace and harmony, you're full of it and you know it.

Why don't you answer her questions BTW? I see you're avoiding that. Why?

And you know what, I'm going to keep saying what I think about Teaneck on here when someone asks.

Go on Urbandictionary.com and type in Teaneck. That's where the honest answers are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 09:30 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
You're a real jerk. Really? What smaller minority is there in Teaneck than a white Irish-American Catholic girl? You think Teaneck HS was fun for me? Or did you even go to THS? You think it's fun constantly being made fun of for your skin, or your well-meaning friends telling you to go get a tan, or even your Girl Scout leader making it clear that you're not welcome anymore as she ignores you every single week. Oh that's right, you're a big tough guy. F that.

I'll tell the truth now. Teaneck is a friggin messed up dump of a town that deserves it's sh*tty reputation. You want a racist town, Teaneck is your answer. Reverse racism. Coming from all angles. Why don't you answer her questions BTW? I see you're avoiding that. I've been nice to you and even apologized and you've done nothing.
Wow.............. We apparently had vastly diff experiences in Teaneck (both being Irish Catholic & all).
It sounds to me like you allowed yourself to get picked on & became the victim. While I'm sorry for that, Teaneck should not be shaped through your skewed perspective.
I don't know what kind of soap opera you lived in, but my younger days were filled with good memories. And my neighborhood was full of a wide variety of people.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:55 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Wow.............. We apparently had vastly diff experiences in Teaneck (both being Irish Catholic & all).
It sounds to me like you allowed yourself to get picked on & became the victim. While I'm sorry for that, Teaneck should not be shaped through your skewed perspective.
I don't know what kind of soap opera you lived in, but my younger days were filled with good memories. And my neighborhood was full of a wide variety of people.
You're Irish and you went to St. A's? Really? When?

Last edited by luckyshoes; 07-20-2009 at 11:04 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 11:14 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
You're Irish and you went to St. A's? Really? When?
CCD, the after school confirmation program.
I attended Teaneck public schools.
Longfellow (now defunct), Bryant, Hawthorne, Thomas Jefferson, Teaneck High.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:59 PM

256 posts, read 841,856 times
i have no idea where lesbians would live in NJ. You should probably be looking into NYC or something like that if you are planning to have children. I dont think that would go over well at all in the vast majority of NJ towns i am familiar with to be honest with you

Old 07-21-2009, 04:03 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForegoneConclusion View Post
Hi all.

My partner and I are considering a move to Teaneck because it offers a quick commute to NYC (a necessity for both of us) and there seem to be decent houses in the $285-$300 range. We're not in a position to buy anything more expensive.

When I first started to investigate Teaneck, I was struck (favorably) by how diverse it is and how progressive it seemed. My partner and I are both white, non-Jewish, and female, so a liberal, inclusive climate is ideal. However, in continuing my research, I have found conflicting accounts on just how progressive Teaneck really is. Some websites indicate that it is highly segregated and that there are serious racial tensions. There are also reports of increased criminal activity.

Would we feel uninvited or even unsafe if we were to move into any part of town, whether it be the more traditionally Jewish enclaves or the more predominantly African American neighborhoods? I want neighbors of all races, ethnicities, and religions, and I don't want to feel like an outcast because I'm not Jewish or I'm not African American. I certainly do not want to feel endangered because I am gay, either.

My partner and I are family-oriented people who like to live in clean, well-cared for neighborhoods. It's much more important to me that my neighbors take pride in their homes and share my middle-class, family values than where they attend religious services or the color of their skin.

So...

Is Teaneck truly a progressive place, or is it riddled with racial tensions?

Is crime (serious crime, like gang activiy) on the upswing, or is that a myth fueled by racism?

Are the town's demographics relatively stable, or has there been a sharp incline in any one particular group? (I ask only because I'm wary of investing in a town that's on its way to becoming homogenous.)

Do people generally respect each other and take good care of their homes?

If you really think Teaneck is a bad choice: Are there other towns within a 30-35 minute commute of NYC that offer affordable housing and which might be a better fit for my partner and me?

Thank you very much for your insight.
I know Teaneck well and its absolutely the ideal situation for what you want. Trust me, its perfect!!!

Old 07-21-2009, 04:04 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times
I would say just the opposite. I don't think people much care.
I wonder why the OP has zeroed in on this particular community though. I don't think it is known as particularly "progressive". That obviously means different things to different people but it is no longer 1970. What went on then I would not trivialize but it was a different time.
Other than the OP- I really would not bother with asking people their ethnic/racial background here. It is a waste of time.
People can conveniently say they are anything and many of these threads are started by the same person anyway. They have numerous ID's and can easily be the exact opposite of what they claim to be.
No place can ever be perfect for any given situation but I think I understand why someone would post that here.
This type of thread "deserves" that type of answer if you know what I mean.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:08 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times
I will further elaborate , Teaneck is progressive and very open minded with more liberal views than most towns. Its got a large Jewish population and Jewish people are more open minded and liberal than lets say WASPS. Its got an orthodox community and black community that mix very well. There is a nice urban beat at times on Cedar Lane. A Hopsital that is very advanced. Major highways too get in and get out. I think Teaneck is a fine choice and will be just what she is looking for. They have an open minded attitude a lot more than most of bergen county!

Old 07-21-2009, 04:11 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times
It really depends on what you are used to.
I would call Berkeley progressive and there are plenty of wasps there.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:47 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo99 View Post
i have no idea where lesbians would live in NJ. You should probably be looking into NYC or something like that if you are planning to have children. I dont think that would go over well at all in the vast majority of NJ towns i am familiar with to be honest with you
South Orange, Montclair, Maplewood. In NYC: Brooklyn (especially Park Slope and Cobble Hill)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey