Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 10:02 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times

Advertisements

Medical marijuana advocates protest drug charges levied against ill Franklin man - NJ.com

And to kick him when he's down, he cant mention his disease at trial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 02:48 PM

20 posts, read 52,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Medical marijuana advocates protest drug charges levied against ill Franklin man - NJ.com

And to kick him when he's down, he cant mention his disease at trial.
I admit I know next to nothing about marijuana, but if it can help sick people, for heaven's sake let them have it! Don't drive while under the influence; it should be used with common sense, but hey - have mercy on suffering people. And NO, I don't use it nor have I ever. Just being realistic here.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:09 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
I despise pot-heads and the pot subculture, I think it's the most ridiculous thing on earth.

But I think medical marijuana is a whole different ball game, and I think it's utterly ridiculous that it can't be prescribed for those who can benefit from it. Very recently, I learned from one of my best friends who has had MS for years that he does smoke marijuana and it's the best thing for easing his misery from that disease. I am 100% sure that he is not using his MS as an excuse to get high, because I knew him all throughout college and ever since, and he was NEVER into marijuana. His wife says he was reluctant to even try it but relented when other treatments weren't working. But I thought he was getting a prescription; it was only a couple weeks ago he told me that it's only legal for prescription in Oregon (I think it's also California, but I don't know).

But yeah, this is ridiculous.

The one thing I'll say for the guy who got caught is he should not have grown it so conspicuously. I mean, this is the Garden State, can't you plant it amongst some Tomato plants or Jersey sweet corn???

Still, he's getting very unfairly reamed over this, and that law has to change to make marijuana at least as legal as opiates are, thru prescription.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:13 PM

636 posts, read 1,423,443 times
Why is weed illegal?

Old 08-22-2009, 03:14 PM

744 posts, read 1,405,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Michigan Man View Post
Why is weed illegal?
Because the government likes to be big. And people in general are idiots and rejoice as their rights are trampled upon.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:22 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,624 times
Possession of small amounts of marijuana should be completely legal. No, I'm not a "pot head," and the last time I smoked anything was in college. But as long as you're not driving or operating heavy machinery under the influence, what is the big deal? Why is alcohol accepted and marijuana isn't?

At the same time, I believe we should be working to get the law changed rather than breaking it. Obviously, the potential prison term this person is facing is insane, but it IS the law and he knowingly broke it.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:17 AM

923 posts, read 1,429,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I despise pot-heads and the pot subculture, I think it's the most ridiculous thing on earth.

But I thought he was getting a prescription; it was only a couple weeks ago he told me that it's only legal for prescription in Oregon (I think it's also California, but I don't know).
Medical marijuana is legal in 14 states.

Active State Medical Marijuana Programs - NORML

Old 08-23-2009, 11:59 AM

13 posts, read 30,331 times
That is um crazy. My kids grandma has ms severly. there are times where she does really good and other times where she's in excrutiating (sp?) pain. She smokes marijuana. And it relieves her. She has a doctor's order tho. They shoulda thrown out the case as soon as they confirmed that he had ms. Its sickening. Why not grow it instead buyin it off of the street from someone whou could of laced it with anything.

I don't smoke weed but I think it should b legal. The medical benefit outweighs the scare tactic cons that the fda like to play up.

U mean to tell me doctors are authorized to prescribe us drugs that most don't know exactly how they work and have very disturbing and life threatening side effects? (I have a pdr and the info is quite frightening). But they wanna throw an ailing patient with a disease that can't be reversed in jail for using a natural substance to ease his pain of the disease. Sick

Old 08-23-2009, 01:34 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
"Last August a helicopter pilot spotted marijuana growing behind the house he rented on Skillmans Lane and alerted State Police."

What a douche.

"Wilson will not be able to mention his medical condition at trial and cannot assert a personal use defense."

F that. I would be shouting out "I have MS" as soon as I had a chance to speak. Let them strike it from the record...the jurors will still remember.

I don't smoke pot, did in college and found it utterly disgusting. But please, are there not bigger things to worry about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: