Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 10:25 AM

986 posts, read 2,809,046 times

Advertisements

We were told by our landlordes that we are to pay the 2 sewer bills that come 4 times a year. We went to put the bills into our name. We were told that they need to be in the homeowners name because they get a tax credit at tax time. Are we responsible for paying bills that are not in our name here in NJ?
We are landlordes in Arizona..anything that can only be put in our name we are responsible for and need to pay as the homeowner.
Are the rules different in NJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 10:46 AM

429 posts, read 932,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
We were told by our landlordes that we are to pay the 2 sewer bills that come 4 times a year. We went to put the bills into our name. We were told that they need to be in the homeowners name because they get a tax credit at tax time. Are we responsible for paying bills that are not in our name here in NJ?
We are landlordes in Arizona..anything that can only be put in our name we are responsible for and need to pay as the homeowner.
It simply sounds like they want you to pay the bills, then they'll get the money you paid deducted from their taxes . . . It also sounds like you're already in the apartment? Did they not tell you the above prior to your renting? If they did tell you prior to renting, and you accepted the deal, then I don't know if there's much you can do. If they sprung it on you later (and you're renting already), I'd be up front about it. Say that if you're paying it, you should effectively get the deduction at the end of the year--so they should have to reimburse you. Get that in writing as well. And if they're not willing to do that, you're simply not paying it, as you never agreed to that.

If you're not renting already, you just need to balance how badly you want the apartment against the additional expense.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
Is there anyway I can get this question moved to the rental forum. Who would I contact to do that for me...Thanks

Old 07-23-2010, 09:02 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,317,828 times
Default In NJ, most sewer bills are liens against the property so they remain in the owner's name.

These bills stay in the owner's name because they're a lien against the property. Whose name they're in is irrelevant to you if you agreed to pay them. You owe the money. In NJ, if your lease stipulates that you'll pay these bills, payment will likely be considered additional rent due and owing.

The tax credit answer you received was one of the typical "blow-off" answers you get from someone who really just wants to get you off the phone of out of the office. I suspect they don't know what they're talking about. Or maybe they're confused about the difference between a tax credit and and tax deduction, and their just talking out of their arse.

Yes, your landlord gets a deduction when these bills are paid, but (s)he must also inlcude your payment of the bill in his/her income so it's a wash! As for you, they're deductible expenses if this is a commercial rental -- either as sewer expense or rent expense depending on how your accountant wishes to treat it.

It doesn't sound to me like anything shady is going on here.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
These bills stay in the owner's name because they're a lien against the property. Whose name they're in is irrelevant to you if you agreed to pay them. You owe the money. In NJ, if your lease stipulates that you'll pay these bills, payment will likely be considered additional rent due and owing.

The tax credit answer you received was one of the typical "blow-off" answers you get from someone who really just wants to get you off the phone of out of the office. I suspect they don't know what they're talking about. Or maybe they're confused about the difference between a tax credit and and tax deduction, and their just talking out of their arse.

Yes, your landlord gets a deduction when these bills are paid, but (s)he must also inlcude your payment of the bill in his/her income so it's a wash! As for you, they're deductible expenses if this is a commercial rental -- either as sewer expense or rent expense depending on how your accountant wishes to treat it.

It doesn't sound to me like anything shady is going on here.
Thanks for the response....I looked at my lease again. We did agree to pay for the utilities. I am fine with that. The two sewer places are the ones that questioned the fact that we had to pay for something that can not be put into our name. They said usually the home owner pays for anything that would put a lien on their home. Thats why I asked the question here before we say anything to our new landlordes. They are really nice people. This is their first time being landlordes. So if you are telling me that is how it works I guess I will work how to pay them if the bills will not be coming to my house...thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey