Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,605 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I recently graduated from Rutgers (like everyone else in Jersey) and I'm working at a chemical company in the North Ironbound section of Newark near the docks. Currently I'm living with my parents and commuting from the Plainfield area. This is not a bad commute, but 22 and 78 can both be horrible at rush hour. I'm looking to move out in a few months somewhere in or near Newark. I have a few criteria in mind for an apartment:

1) around $1000/month for 1BR
2) near PATH for easy access to NYC
3) relatively safe neighborhood, but I have no problem with a more a working-class or "up-and-coming" neighborhood
4) street parking

The Ironbound, Harrison and Hamilton Park, JC all seem pretty great, but the apartments there were pricier than I thought and there was not much available.

Forest Hill is also great, but even less available, and a bit far from the PATH.

What other neighborhoods or areas should I consider?

Or am I simply asking for too much and am going to be paying more no matter what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 11:10 PM

22 posts, read 68,437 times
South Orange, Maplewood and West Orange are all easy commutes via either 78/280, and you can definitely find places in that price range if you look. Good luck!

Old 07-23-2010, 11:21 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,914,638 times
Ironbound & Harrison are 2 places you should look into , Harrison is quieter then the Ironbound. The Ironbound is = to a mini Europe dominated by the Portuguese. JC is more expensive , but its closer to NYC. The Whole NJ Gold Coast is Expensive. South Orange , Maplewood ,& West Orange will be in the range of 1500-2000$ and far form the PATH.

Last edited by DarkWolf; 07-24-2010 at 12:33 AM..

Old 07-24-2010, 12:25 AM

728 posts, read 1,971,272 times
Idk about South Orange or Maplewood but u wont get a place in West Orange for a 1,000.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:42 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,289,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anfonyd View Post
Hi all,

I recently graduated from Rutgers (like everyone else in Jersey) and I'm working at a chemical company in the North Ironbound section of Newark near the docks. Currently I'm living with my parents and commuting from the Plainfield area. This is not a bad commute, but 22 and 78 can both be horrible at rush hour. I'm looking to move out in a few months somewhere in or near Newark. I have a few criteria in mind for an apartment:

1) around $1000/month for 1BR
2) near PATH for easy access to NYC
3) relatively safe neighborhood, but I have no problem with a more a working-class or "up-and-coming" neighborhood
4) street parking

The Ironbound, Harrison and Hamilton Park, JC all seem pretty great, but the apartments there were pricier than I thought and there was not much available.

Forest Hill is also great, but even less available, and a bit far from the PATH.

What other neighborhoods or areas should I consider?

Or am I simply asking for too much and am going to be paying more no matter what?
You could probably find something near Journal Square for that price (e.g. I can see plenty on craigslist). You'll probably end up paying more if you want to live in a nicer neighborhood.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:47 PM

2,394 posts, read 2,354,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryblossoms View Post
South Orange, Maplewood and West Orange are all easy commutes via either 78/280, and you can definitely find places in that price range if you look. Good luck!
Like the OP said, rush hour is a real pain to get to work. What about Kearny? Closer to the docks and less expensive.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:52 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,914,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Like the OP said, rush hour is a real pain to get to work. What about Kearny? Closer to the docks and less expensive.
Kearny is on the otherside of the river and during Rush hour can be hell.....

Old 07-24-2010, 02:43 PM

22 posts, read 68,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Ironbound & Harrison are 2 places you should look into , Harrison is quieter then the Ironbound. The Ironbound is = to a mini Europe dominated by the Portuguese. JC is more expensive , but its closer to NYC. The Whole NJ Gold Coast is Expensive. South Orange , Maplewood ,& West Orange will be in the range of 1500-2000$ and far form the PATH.
There are lots of apartments in these Maplewood and South Orange for less than 1500-2000. My building is filled with them, here a two-bedroom is 1100, my one bedroom is 925.

If you look in West Orange Valley Road area you will find one bedrooms for under 1000.

As far as the commute, if 280 doesn't work for you, you can take the roads straight through town, Central Avenue right to downtown Newark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey