Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:49 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
It's all relative. You can have a stress-free commute in NJ, also. I am sure that's not at all the real reason for your move. I have a stress-free commute from Park Ridge to Paramus. I'm there in 10-15 minutes, even with rush hour traffic.

The weather isn't that much different, either.

It's the money.
It is not!! YOUR WRONG! We inherited a good sum, Have a Secure 401K, no stocks, and we have it for 30 years. Its not money. Oh yeh, we live fancier here, but its not nessessary. My husband has to work in an area where his office has a branch, Nashville is actually the main office. His commute from NYC was over 2 hours, and NJ does not have large offices in the insurance industry, at least not ones that deal with million plus accounts, which he does. He is a Vice President.
i ALSO DON'T WANT TO BE SHOVELING SNOW IN A FEW YEARS WHEN he RETIRE. My husband is 60.

Diane G

Diane G

Old 10-04-2009, 10:58 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I did not move for the Money. We moved because of the stressful commute, and all the stress involved living in a fast paced place. We moved for our children, having not to endure that stress.
Also, we have not used a snow shovel yet, so the weather also. We have 4 seasons, but they are not as severe.

Diane G
Diane did your husband have a job when you moved or did he get one after?

Well I did a little research and I hate country music but I do like Leann Rimes so I looked up her house (former ) and it is in Franklin, Tn. This area as you once mentioned has a ton of rich people and fancy homes. I am sure these super mega country stars dont like crap so there has to be a pretty good area for them, they are now the new mega stars. I am sure that area is pretty nice.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
In other words, they have the same exact things in TN that NJ has, but TN is not as wealthy as NJ.
And who cares. Our homes are built better, better construction, brick.
There are people here with money in Nashville, and Williamson County.

This house would cost more in NJ, but not a drop in the Bucket. Just Remember those rich Country Singers live here including Carry Underwood who lives 7 min from my Home.

Alan Jackson Lists His Tennessee Home For $38 Million

Diane G

Old 10-04-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Diane did your husband have a job when you moved or did he get one after?

Well I did a little research and I hate country music but I do like Leann Rimes so I looked up her house (former ) and it is in Franklin, Tn. This area as you once mentioned has a ton of rich people and fancy homes. I am sure these super mega country stars dont like crap so there has to be a pretty good area for them, they are now the new mega stars. I am sure that area is pretty nice.
Marilyn, he works for the NY office of his company so just relocated. He deals with a Huge California company that takes over large businesses, so although his boss is in NY, and lives in NJ, he is in their TN office at a NY salary.

Diane G

Old 10-04-2009, 11:06 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,785,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
It is not!! YOUR WRONG! We inherited a good sum, Have a Secure 401K, no stocks, and we have it for 30 years. Its not money. Oh yeh, we live fancier here, but its not nessessary. My husband has to work in an area where his office has a branch, Nashville is actually the main office. His commute from NYC was over 2 hours, and NJ does not have large offices in the insurance industry, at least not ones that deal with million plus accounts, which he does. He is a Vice President.
i ALSO DON'T WANT TO BE SHOVELING SNOW IN A FEW YEARS WHEN he RETIRE. My husband is 60.

Diane G

Diane G
If he worked in NYC and you lived in Englewood, Fort Lee, Weehawken, or any other towns closer to NYC you would not have a 2 hour commute, but a 1/2 hour commute. And it would be by bus or train which is much more stress-free than driving.

But for some reason you moved to TN instead of just closer to your husband's NYC office to ease the stress and commute on him.

It was the money, just admit it.

And I don't buy the "shoveling snow" argument. I used my little snowblower once or twice last year, and I use it for even the slightest snowfall or else I'd never use it. But if you hate shoveling snow, you can afford to pay someone to do it a couple times and it would be very cheap.

Your "stress" and "commute" excuse just doesn't add up. BTW, my brother just told me that when he would go to his Nashville office the rush hour traffic was nasty, it took him 10 minutes to go a mile on 440, but his hotel was close to the office so it wasn't so bad for him, yet his co-worker who lived in a suburb had a 1-hour commute to work. And no "covered" parking.

Commute has nothing to do with one place over another. No matter what city or metro area you're in, if you live close to where you work, your commutee will be easier and less stressfull than if you live very far from where you work.

How do you not understand this concept? How do you actually think that by living in TN you have an easier commute?

Old 10-04-2009, 11:37 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,897 times
Quote:
If he worked in NYC and you lived in Englewood, Fort Lee, Weehawken, or any other towns closer to NYC you would not have a 2 hour commute, but a 1/2 hour commute. And it would be by bus or train which is much more stress-free than driving.

But for some reason you moved to TN instead of just closer to your husband's NYC office to ease the stress and commute on him.

And I don't buy the "shoveling snow" argument. I used my little snowblower once or twice last year, and I use it for even the slightest snowfall or else I'd never use it. But if you hate shoveling snow, you can afford to pay someone to do it a couple times and it would be very cheap.

Your "stress" and "commute" excuse just doesn't add up. BTW, my brother just told me that when he would go to his Nashville office the rush hour traffic was nasty, it took him 10 minutes to go a mile on 440, but his hotel was close to the office so it wasn't so bad for him, yet his co-worker who lived in a suburb had a 1-hour commute to work. And no "covered" parking.

Commute has nothing to do with one place over another. No matter what city or metro area you're in, if you live close to where you work, your commutee will be easier and less stressfull than if you live very far from where you work.

How do you not understand this concept? How do you actually think that by living in TN you have an easier commute?

ohh Johnny boy take it easy on poor Diane, she has a stress free life with those Hillbillies!!!! She has some positives, the smell of wood smoke all day from hillbillies burning their trash, meth labs close by, junior johnsons ham, and dont forget they are so thin and healthy !! Where else can you meet Morgan Shepard in the supermaket. Plus dont forget all that great domestic light beer, ummm very good too. High Frustose corn syrup in the pork UMMMM!! She has a stress free life with the goats and chickens and lovely smells in the air.

Diane you know IM KIDDING YOU RIGHT!!!

Seriously she actually lives in a very nice area, its where all the mega country stars are and to be honest, Diane really likes it there so who the hell cares the reasons she actually has been telling us for awhile how great it is. I am sure there are some nice areas there. If she hated it why would she not just say it? I hated where I moved too, I lived with bigger hillbillies than where I am now in NW, NJ.

I have figured out finally what areas to live in, You go to the whole foods website and find the closest one in that area in that state and there is the good spots to move to. If the state has no whole foods, DONT GO!!! If there is no whole foods within 15 miles your screwed! Its hillbillies and or not worth it.

Johnny good early post too!

Old 10-04-2009, 11:46 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,418 times
Quote:

Seriously, I can see why you would; I would, too, under the right circumstances, at least for just a few years. They have almost perfect weather year-round. It's a beautiful city with plenty to offer. I loved working in San Diego. I prefer Los Angeles, but I could enjoy San Diego as well.
Not an L.A. fan somehow. Too crowded and expensive and materialistic and looks-obsessed.

San Diego has a vibe I really like, and of course, all of those gorgeous beaches.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
ohh Johnny boy take it easy on poor Diane, she has a stress free life with those Hillbillies!!!! She has some positives, the smell of wood smoke all day from hillbillies burning their trash, meth labs close by, junior johnsons ham, and dont forget they are so thin and healthy !! Where else can you meet Morgan Shepard in the supermaket. Plus dont forget all that great domestic light beer, ummm very good too. High Frustose corn syrup in the pork UMMMM!! She has a stress free life with the goats and chickens and lovely smells in the air.

Diane you know IM KIDDING YOU RIGHT!!!

Seriously she actually lives in a very nice area, its where all the mega country stars are and to be honest, Diane really likes it there so who the hell cares the reasons she actually has been telling us for awhile how great it is. I am sure there are some nice areas there. If she hated it why would she not just say it? I hated where I moved too, I lived with bigger hillbillies than where I am now in NW, NJ.

I have figured out finally what areas to live in, You go to the whole foods website and find the closest one in that area in that state and there is the good spots to move to. If the state has no whole foods, DONT GO!!! If there is no whole foods within 15 miles your screwed! Its hillbillies and or not worth it.

Johnny good early post too!
I have 2 Whole Foods within 15 min of me, one in the Green Hills section of Nashville, and one in the Cool Springs area. We have a Trader Joes, also in Green Hills. We also have the Mall at Green Hills, which is the same owner of the Mall at Short Hills in NJ. I frequently run into Nicole Kitman there.

Diane G

Old 10-04-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:

The traffic in Nashville goes from North to South, North is the cheaper area of the city, south of downtown is more expensive. My husband passes from the south 440 in the morning. He is at the office park where is company is located by the airport in 20 min, same going home. Reverse commutes get more traffic because its cheaper to live there.
I paid close to what I sold my house in NJ for but got 4500 sq ft, vs 2500 sq feet, so it was not the money. Only 2 of us live in the house at present because my daughter has an apt accross from her college(Murfreesboro) and my son lives and works in the same town.
Those towns you listed in NJ, Kill me before I would live there, old crapy houses . Fort Lee? your kidding by the GW bridge. There are nice places in NJbut they are not near NYC, or too urban for me.
BTW, my husband did take the bus from The Wall Street area. There was not a week that there was not a Bomb threat in the Tunnel.
He was in the City 9/11, he does not want to be there when it happens again, and with the recent subway threat it will. We lost a great deal of friends, so it was time to move on.

Diane G

Old 10-04-2009, 06:03 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,806,951 times
I moved to Ga last year. Better climate, better schools, a better quality of life for us. People are friendly and helpful. Sure, the fact that our RE taxes are now $2800 instead of $11k is a bonus. My husband was transferred and kept his NJ salary. His commute is 10 min instead of 2 hrs. More time with family. Companies here realize that employees have a life outside of work.

You have to live in the place that makes you happy. We're happier here. We do miss NJ, but probably will never return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey