Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2010, 10:28 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

Trying to make sense of your state.

Seems like you have a lot of variation...coastline and the cities that border NYC & Philly. I guess I'm most interested in those areas that border NYC & Philly.

They seem to me...like a mini-Brooklyn...? Seems like very neighborhood-ish...I mean, wherever you go in those areas, you can walk everywhere, right? Yet, at the same time, strikes me as a place that most people probably drive around in cars nontheless.

You got real big houses with almost no spaces between them. Seems like. Most people...I don't know what they do in NJ? Maybe just work in basic regular places all over, right? And the people who might actually work in NYC or Philly even, would be a completely different breed of people...who you might not really consider as New Jersians?

Also...seems like you have pretty much everyone you can imagine living there. Black, white, large latino groups, large asian groups in pockets as well. Seems real mix of people. But, I would think most are very solidly in the working class or the poorer classes. However, for whatever reason, I would imagine the asian groups are a bit better off somehow? Just seems like that is a regular occurence.

Big question. You know, NJ strikes me as one of those places that Immigrants groups like Latinos, Asians, etc. would GO TO. If a person was european or white american from outside of the NY/NJ/PA region...I don't think you get many do you?

I mean, can you think of the last time you met some generic white guy who moved from Iowa so he could see what Newark was like? Just an observation....true one though?

Speaking of which, I think I did read of hipsters from NYC moving over to Jersey City for better real estate? Is that true?

Lastly...seems like prices are pretty out of whack high...especially in those areas near NYC & Philly, right? I'm imagining this might be driving people right out of the region altogether? I mean, the American-born ones anyways. Seems like the immigrant groups that end up in NJ, seem to want to stay, it seems to me anyways.

Also, seems like NJ would have a gazillion really good ethnic restaurants all over...and with the high density, probably usually walkable and such. I guess I'm imaging something similar to Brooklyn?

Anyways...just trying to make sense of New Jersey a bit..so feel free to add or subtract or whatever else...I guess I also think of a NJ attitude a bit like a Brooklyn on as well...thinking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 09:55 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
Some of the things you say are accurate, and some are completely off base, lol.

NJ is a unique state. The areas around NYC are very closely tied to NYC, and the areas around Philly are tied to Philly. The vast majority of NJ is suburban, and a part of NYC metroplitan area or the Philly metropolitan area. Like many other states, NJ does not have a "major city" ... but UNLIKE most other states, NJ has amazing access to two of the nation's largest and most dynamic cities.

People who work in Philly or NY are most certainly still considered NJians. There are a TON of people who do this. A ton. NY and Philly are our cities, too...NJ is a huge, huge part of both cities' metro populations.

No, most people in NJ are NOT in the poor or working class. NJ is the wealthiest state in the US! The majority of NJ's population is white collar, not blue collar. In fact, I'd guess that overall NJ is the most white collar state in the US.

Yes, we get plenty of people from all over the country and all over the world that move to NJ, and yes, many of these people are white.

I don't think somebody from Iowa would move to Northern NJ to see what NEWARK was like, but every day people move to Northern NJ from all 49 other states to work and play in NYC. Remember Northern NJ is the suburbs of NYC. NYC is the major city here.

Yup, tons of great ethnic restaurants here.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:58 AM

412 posts, read 1,327,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Some of the things you say are accurate, and some are completely off base, lol.

NJ is a unique state. The areas around NYC are very closely tied to NYC, and the areas around Philly are tied to Philly. The vast majority of NJ is suburban, and a part of NYC metroplitan area or the Philly metropolitan area. Like many other states, NJ does not have a "major city" ... but UNLIKE most other states, NJ has amazing access to two of the nation's largest and most dynamic cities.

People who work in Philly or NY are most certainly still considered NJians. There are a TON of people who do this. A ton. NY and Philly are our cities, too...NJ is a huge, huge part of both cities' metro populations.

No, most people in NJ are NOT in the poor or working class. NJ is the wealthiest state in the US! The majority of NJ's population is white collar, not blue collar. In fact, I'd guess that overall NJ is the most white collar state in the US.

Yes, we get plenty of people from all over the country and all over the world that move to NJ, and yes, many of these people are white.

I don't think somebody from Iowa would move to Northern NJ to see what NEWARK was like, but every day people move to Northern NJ from all 49 other states to work and play in NYC. Remember Northern NJ is the suburbs of NYC. NYC is the major city here.

Yup, tons of great ethnic restaurants here.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:43 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
Our cities are deprived from an identity.
Newark was an industrial mecca that shaped a lot of the north east's financial growth, so it was a popular place for european immigration way back when. Newark wasn't always a poor, sad, cold place- It used to be an affluent city, with a population of around 450K at one point. Like every industrious city, hard economic times and race riots hit hardest in these cities- Newark experienced the roughest time out of all the cities because of it's density and location.
It's getting better, but tourist can care less about Newark- let alone know anything positive about the place.

As for Jersey City- It's thought as the "6th borough" - Outsiders move there for Manhattan, not JC itself. I honestly think Hudson County in general needs to annex itself and consider itself a city. It's less than 50 square miles. Cities like Baltimore, Atlanta, Buffalo, and Minneapolis all have larger land masses, but all have a lower population than Hudson County- NJ's cities need an identity, and they're perfectly capable of doing so instead of calling cities "cities" when they're the size of neighborhoods (Hoboken, Weehawken, Union City, etc).
~~~

What people around the nation don't understand is that we're just as much a part of NYC as NYS. Economically NJ has more ties to NYC than anywhere else in NYS. The Port Authority of NY/NJ for example shared the WTC, they share the Shipping ports in Newark-Elizabeth/Brooklyn/Staten Island, they share PATH, they Share Newark/JFK/La Guardia/Teterboro/Stewart Intnl, and the George Washington Bridge/Holland Tunnel/Lincoln Tunnel- And few other things.

When people say "NJ doesn't have a major city of its own" it's because they're not used to the kind of case NJ is in. NYC and Philly are our "Major cities" in the sense that they're MSA's are half located in NJ. I belive most of Manhattan is ran by NJians more than anywhere else outside of NYC. Philadelphia has more ties with PA, but when it comes to summer, the Jersey shore is where its at.

We're the 4th best educated state.
We're have the lowest suicide rates in the nation.
We're arguably one of the most diverse states in the nation.
We're one of the wealthiest states in the nation (salary wise)
We have the lowest rape rates in the nation.
We have the 4th lowest poverty rates.

All these things are thanks to our abundant suburbs. We're trashed beyond true recognition because of the urban blight the state has, but the suburbs outweigh it all tremendously. We have the widest range of suburbs in the nation, rich history is seamed throughout the state, and we're definitely the most convenient, most accessible state in the nation- Hands down.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:58 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Our cities are deprived from an identity.
Newark was an industrial mecca that shaped a lot of the north east's financial growth, so it was a popular place for european immigration way back when. Newark wasn't always a poor, sad, cold place- It used to be an affluent city, with a population of around 450K at one point. Like every industrious city, hard economic times and race riots hit hardest in these cities- Newark experienced the roughest time out of all the cities because of it's density and location.
It's getting better, but tourist can care less about Newark- let alone know anything positive about the place.

As for Jersey City- It's thought as the "6th borough" - Outsiders move there for Manhattan, not JC itself. I honestly think Hudson County in general needs to annex itself and consider itself a city. It's less than 50 square miles. Cities like Baltimore, Atlanta, Buffalo, and Minneapolis all have larger land masses, but all have a lower population than Hudson County- NJ's cities need an identity, and they're perfectly capable of doing so instead of calling cities "cities" when they're the size of neighborhoods (Hoboken, Weehawken, Union City, etc).
~~~

What people around the nation don't understand is that we're just as much a part of NYC as NYS. Economically NJ has more ties to NYC than anywhere else in NYS. The Port Authority of NY/NJ for example shared the WTC, they share the Shipping ports in Newark-Elizabeth/Brooklyn/Staten Island, they share PATH, they Share Newark/JFK/La Guardia/Teterboro/Stewart Intnl, and the George Washington Bridge/Holland Tunnel/Lincoln Tunnel- And few other things.

When people say "NJ doesn't have a major city of its own" it's because they're not used to the kind of case NJ is in. NYC and Philly are our "Major cities" in the sense that they're MSA's are half located in NJ. I belive most of Manhattan is ran by NJians more than anywhere else outside of NYC. Philadelphia has more ties with PA, but when it comes to summer, the Jersey shore is where its at.

We're the 4th best educated state.
We're have the lowest suicide rates in the nation.
We're arguably one of the most diverse states in the nation.
We're one of the wealthiest states in the nation (salary wise)
We have the lowest rape rates in the nation.
We have the 4th lowest poverty rates.

All these things are thanks to our abundant suburbs. We're trashed beyond true recognition because of the urban blight the state has, but the suburbs outweigh it all tremendously. We have the widest range of suburbs in the nation, rich history is seamed throughout the state, and we're definitely the most convenient, most accessible state in the nation- Hands down.

I thought that too about Hudson County. Since I moved here over a year ago I been trying to understand why Hudson County was broken up into so many different municipalities for such a small county. Most of the time you can't tell when you cross the border from one into another.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:19 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I thought that too about Hudson County. Since I moved here over a year ago I been trying to understand why Hudson County was broken up into so many different municipalities for such a small county. Most of the time you can't tell when you cross the border from one into another.
I know , its weird. Its not like the other counties , Form Bayonne to Fort Lee is one giant city. I should be Gold Coast City , i mean why not?

Old 09-28-2010, 11:09 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I know , its weird. Its not like the other counties , Form Bayonne to Fort Lee is one giant city. I should be Gold Coast City , i mean why not?
It's not as bad as Hudson county, but Bergen county has way too many "towns". I believe there's about 70 towns in Bergen county. It's criminal, and it says a lot about NJ's tax burden.
And I actually thought "Gateway City" would be a good name too.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:24 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,921 times
Quote:
It's not as bad as Hudson county, but Bergen county has way too many "towns". I believe there's about 70 towns in Bergen county. It's criminal, and it says a lot about NJ's tax burden.

Yeah, Bergen has a lot of towns too, but at least it is a big county tho.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:56 AM

605 posts, read 2,147,714 times
I really wish NJ had more urban, relatively safe, cool areas with super easy access to NY. The one thing I loved about Boston is all the neighborhoods that were easily accessible via the T(subway). You could live in an apt, condo, or single family home and still be within a 5 min walk of the T. I do feel a little lost in the burbs. It was hard to go from living midtown Manhattan to the burbs. We didn't look in Brooklyn/Bronx/Queens, etc. because we didn't want to be at the mercy of the city to get out of the area. I can't tell you how many times are plans got ruined because of a parade or a race or something! We looked in Hoboken but the prices were still outrageous back in 2007. We wouldn't have gotten that much more space. Oh well. We are happy.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:03 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,675 times
Default A bit of stats on Hudson and Bergen

Quote:
According to wiki, Hudson County is 47 sq mi with 12 municipalities and a total population of 608,795 and the 6th most densely populated county in the nation. I never knew this, but they also have a page here on the territory known as "North Hudson" comprising North Bergen, Weehawken, West New York, Union City and Guttenberg. Wouldn't be such a bad idea to merge these into one big North Hudson Township. <A HREF="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hudson,_New_Jersey">North Hudson, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</A> But this is nothing like Bergen County.

Bergen County is 234 sq mi with a 2009 estimate of 895,250 people, making it the most populous county in the state with 70 municipalities, most of them boroughs, which came from some kind of county-imposed tax issue around 1900 causing all these secessions to happen, they call it "boroughitis" now. <A HREF="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boroughitis">Boroughitis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</A> If these tax issues don't apply anymore, then they should see about merging them back, because it is ridiculous to have that many different governments for only a few thousand people.

Merging is something that needs to happen all over the place, esp up in Bergen County since that is the most divided one. Lots of the ones in Hudson I never even heard of, like Guttenberg and East Newark. I never knew "East Newark" was its own tiny little municipality which is also in a different county from Newark. Hmmm, have we discovered a tiny inconsequential secession from Essex County that has already happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey