Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2009, 07:35 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,987 times

Advertisements

I heard about it and my mother saw an article in the paper but I can't find anything online.

Does anyone know about this new tunnel or light rail stop that is supposed to be coming to Union City. Im not sure what it is, except it was supposed to be near 20th st I think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 07:47 AM

231 posts, read 587,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I heard about it and my mother saw an article in the paper but I can't find anything online.

Does anyone know about this new tunnel or light rail stop that is supposed to be coming to Union City. Im not sure what it is, except it was supposed to be near 20th st I think
She might have been talking about the phase 2 stop being built on 22nd in Bayonne.

Hudson–Bergen Light Rail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Light rail work reaches new heights in Weehawken

Old 07-07-2009, 08:06 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,987 times
Possible, but I would doubt it, she is familiar with teh difference between all those areas out there, but I'll run taht by her.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:13 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
NJ Transit doesn't have any plans to extend any new light rail lines elsewhere in Union City. Maybe the city wants more light rail in its own long range plans, but it isn't on NJT's radar/list of priorities. The only changes coming to HBLR in the future are (A) the extension down to 8th St in Bayonne, as goonsquad mentioned, (B) extension of the West Side Ave branch in Jersey City to the Honeywell redevelopment site, and (C) a northward extension from the current terminus on Tonnele Ave to either (a) Tenafly, (b) E. Rutherford, (c) both.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,794 times
Default Light Rail

Quote:

Your mom is not the only person concern. There are to many documents to read. Yet NJ transit is walking from house to house with a lawyer offering $5,000.00 to buy your underground property. My advise is before signing any document you must understand what you are singing. Do not sign what you do not understand. There are documents that can make you liable and yet you do not know until it happens. (201)679-6317

Union City resident

Old 06-20-2010, 12:12 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanda perez View Post
Your mom is not the only person concern. There are to many documents to read. Yet NJ transit is walking from house to house with a lawyer offering $5,000.00 to buy your underground property. My advise is before signing any document you must understand what you are singing. Do not sign what you do not understand. There are documents that can make you liable and yet you do not know until it happens. (201)679-6317

Union City resident
Huh , what are you talking about the Govt has right of way to seize land for any Public Works Project......and the Tunnel has been open for 4 years....

Old 06-20-2010, 08:09 AM

478 posts, read 1,749,346 times
Quote:

Besides the tunnel they are working on now for trains NJ & NY.

The latest news about another rail tunnel your mother might of read lately is:

Amtrak Considers New Hudson River Tunnel

Updated: Thursday, 17 Jun 2010, 11:27 AM EDT
Published : Thursday, 17 Jun 2010, 11:07 AM EDT
NEWARK - Amtrak is studying whether there's a need to build a second rail tunnel to handle a growing number of passengers between New Jersey and New York City.
The tunnel would be built within 20 years and join the century-old Hudson River crossing and an $8.7 billion tunnel that NJ Transit plans to build by 2017.
More than 1,000 trains arrive at New York's Penn Station from NJ Transit, Amtrak and the Long Island Rail Road each weekday.
Amtrak's master plan for the Northeast Corridor says ridership between Washington and Boston is expected to double by 2030.
The plan says NJ Transit’s new tunnel is expected to provide only "some" relief.

Just notice this topic is almost a year old..my bad!

Old 06-20-2010, 05:27 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,959,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
NJ Transit doesn't have any plans to extend any new light rail lines elsewhere in Union City. Maybe the city wants more light rail in its own long range plans, but it isn't on NJT's radar/list of priorities. The only changes coming to HBLR in the future are (A) the extension down to 8th St in Bayonne, as goonsquad mentioned, (B) extension of the West Side Ave branch in Jersey City to the Honeywell redevelopment site, and (C) a northward extension from the current terminus on Tonnele Ave to either (a) Tenafly, (b) E. Rutherford, (c) both.
Why Tenafly of all places? It's a very, very nice town & all (down right wealthy in parts). It just seems like an odd choice. How many people are going to take the Light Rail to the country club? I could picture towns like Ft. Lee, Englewood, Teaneck & def Hackensack though.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:45 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Why Tenafly of all places? It's a very, very nice town & all (down right wealthy in parts). It just seems like an odd choice. How many people are going to take the Light Rail to the country club? I could picture towns like Ft. Lee, Englewood, Teaneck & def Hackensack though.
Its where the line goes , also has one of the highest suburban Commuter rates to Jersey City / Lower Manhattan. So this line would be well used. Theres alot of TOD along the line in towns between North Bergen and Englewood and north of Tenefly. The ultimate goal is to restore service all the way up into NY State. Since CSX barely uses the line anymore that would be easy.

The Hawthorne - State Street - North Bergen JCT line is way behind schedule and the freight corridor link between NBJ and SEC has been canceled. The Cross-County line would be diesel. The Northern Branch would be an Electric or extension of HBLR , both have Governor Christies support.

Making Links in North Jersey « The Transport Politic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey