Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 11:27 PM

3 posts, read 25,778 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I'm considering moving to Sip Avenue and Tonnelle Avenue. Is that area safe? I notice it is only a short walk from the Path (is this a safe walk?). Is it safe for an early 20 years old girl to walk around there? I also notice there is a C-Town around there, is it save around C-Town too? I heard from threads posting avoid the Bergenline buses at all costs. These buses are far away from the Sip Ave. and Tonnelle Ave., right? Anything will help! Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 07:13 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clovers View Post
Hi guys, I'm considering moving to Sip Avenue and Tonnelle Avenue. Is that area safe? I notice it is only a short walk from the Path (is this a safe walk?). Is it safe for an early 20 years old girl to walk around there? I also notice there is a C-Town around there, is it save around C-Town too? I heard from threads posting avoid the Bergenline buses at all costs. These buses are far away from the Sip Ave. and Tonnelle Ave., right? Anything will help! Thanks guys!
I'm not sure what the issue is with the buses. You won't have much use for them. I don't see how those buses will give you much trouble unless you use their services or you're stuck behind one of them while you're driving.

The area is OK. It's a city, so you would want to keep your wits about you if going for a 3am stroll (though it is well lit, and there are local businesses open very late such as the diner and some of the arab groceries). During the day, it's fine.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:48 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
There are plently of hookers in that location. That alone should give you an idea on how safe it is not.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:51 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
There are plently of hookers in that location. That alone should give you an idea on how safe it is not.
Are you sure you're not mixing this up with the 1/9 truck route ? OP is referring to the area near the JSQ shops, not 1/9 truck.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:18 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
Are you sure you're not mixing this up with the 1/9 truck route ? OP is referring to the area near the JSQ shops, not 1/9 truck.
Haha, I saw a few streetwalkers there the other night. I had thought that the cops cracked down, as I haven't seen them there in a while.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:11 AM

But where is that 1/9 truck area though? Plenty of hookers at the sip ave. and tonnelle area area or at that 1/9 truck area? I probably only go out during the day time to work and come back in the evening and spending day time out during the weekend around the area though. Thanks guys!!!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:32 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Sip/Tonnele is a fine area. The neighborhood is a bit grimey, but it's not very dangerous in terms of violent crimes. But I'd keep my eyes open when walking around. The Sip/Tonnele intersection is among the top in the state for vehicle/pedestrian crashes. Lots of hurried left-turns and red-light running there, and the buses are some of the worst offenders. So walk with care.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:55 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clovers View Post
I think you mean Bergen Avenue buses. Bergenline is Union City. You have no need to take them unless your traveling south towards the greenville area or Bayonne. As Lamminus posted it's busy and a commercial area so keep your head up or you will have tire treads on your back. As for safety not the best nor worst I would put it in the middle. Large middle eastern population. The first world center bomber had a mosque at that location 4 buildings north of Sip and Tonnele. Luckily he's doing a life sentence now.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:37 PM

478 posts, read 1,749,183 times
I grew up in that area when I was a teenager...my best friend lived in that area his mom owned a hair stylist business for women (believe it was called Stella's Salon on Sip ave.) Lots of very old but nice apt. buildings there. Its a very good area to walk to Path trains to work in NYC thats for sure.
There is a house just a few blocks from there where George Washington had a meeting once..think its called the Apple tree house.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:55 PM

Thanks guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey