Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,319 times

Advertisements

First of all, I am a white girl who works in Palisades Park, NJ. I recently read a few posts on here that I believe to be rather disgusting and racist against the Korean population that resides in Pal Park, NJ. I think the mentality of the white people in the Pal Park area toward the Korean population is outdated, outrageous, and appalling. It seems as though they are afraid for some reason whenever they see hangul characters...as though they feel something has been "stolen" from them, that something that was "theirs" has become someone elses. And I bet most of them who complain about the Korean restaurants, stores, shops, etc. have never even tried Korean food...and since they haven't tried it, they don't even know how good it is!

I love working in the town and have never, ever had a problem. I go to the Korean restaurants, I shop at the H-Mart, and I eat Korean food almost daily...and I love it. I am usually the only non-Korean in the places I frequent. And this isn't because the restaurant won't serve non-Koreans (which is what the white people in the area would have you falsely believe)...it's because non-Koreans are "afraid" to go there for some reason.

The Korean food in Pal Park is pretty much the best food I have ever eaten. No Pal Park Korean restaurant has ever refused to serve me on account of me being white and they have always been gracious and giving and so on. I even am considering moving to Pal Park or Fort Lee to be closer to work.

I am troubled by some of the white people at my job who make disparging comments about "everything being Korean" and refusing to try any of the food. I find it to be a subtle form of racism that they try to cover up by only discussing their racist feelings with other white people. They don't understand that I, being white but I suppose more culturally aware, am offended by their remarks.

I am sick of reading posts on here that bash Pal Park and I am disturbed by hearing white people at my job bashing Korean people who don't speak English well. One person at my job even told me once that she doesn't think that the Korean people in the office should be allowed to speak Korean to one another...and I thought how mean is that? So...you would rather watch someone who doesn't speak English well work so very hard daily to even chat with her friends. White people in America don't understand how difficult it is to speak English when you don't know the language very well. When people speak Korean at my job, it is does not phase me or bother me one bit. And in fact, I am considering learning Korean.

I went on Facebook and saw this group called "You Know You're in Fort Lee when..." and nearly every single solitary post was a negative, slanderous remark against the Asian people in Fort Lee. I am starting to believe that my generation is no better or culturally aware than the previous generations.

I am sick of posts on here written by white people who make racist comments in regards to the Korean neighborhoods in Bergen County.

It is 2010 and we are in New Jersey...

Last edited by Veronica3; 02-28-2010 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 07:28 AM

367 posts, read 960,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica3 View Post

I am sick of posts on here .....
Don't let the door hit you etc, etc, etc,.......

Old 02-21-2011, 08:08 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,316,442 times
Default TROLLing the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica3 View Post
I am sick of posts on here...
Really? But this is your very first topic. You're already "sick of posts on here"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett View Post
Don't let the door hit you etc, etc, etc,.......
She's already gone! (And there's plenty of sunshine!) Look at the date. The original post is a year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoby View Post
You sound like a self-righteous idiot. I bet you're fat
(Weight is irrelevant.) What Veronica sounds like is... A TROLL!

Hey Everyone -- let's ignore this piece-of-trash thread and make this the last post in it. There are legitimate issues we can discuss instead.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:30 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Wow, seems the OP touched a rather big nerve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: