Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 8,543 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We are a couple that are planning on moving to Edgewater or Fort Lee in the coming months. Since we are from out west, we did not have time to become familiar with the area. Please give your comments or thoughts regarding these cities.

In addition, we are also asking for your opinions regarding two condo complexes - PALISADES (Old Palisdes Rd.) and HUDSON HARBOR (River Rd.). Any comments, opinions, and thoughts would be appreciated in our decision process.

James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 08:48 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,256 times
Ooooooooooooh, I have location-envy !!! I live about 3 miles away from Edgewater. Edgewater is a beautiful area, on the rise and being built up beautifully!! So many beautiful attractive condos and townhouses along River Road area. I see a more professional upper/middle class moving in and taking over. There is lots to do - it's close to NYC, low violent crime rate, lots of restaurants, upscale shopping, a Whole Foods, Barnes & Noble, and a heavenly view of the NYC skyline ... There's a walking path that goes along the Hudson River you can get in your jogging/walking every day with that magnificent view that is so inspiring and motivating ... Oh yes, and the NY Waterway is there, close to Hoboken, trains, buses, etc ...

I think Hudson Harbor is "Garden apartment" type of living, isn't it? I live close enough if you want me to take a ride for you I will ....

Fortlee, too much traffic !!

Old 03-01-2010, 07:05 AM

15 posts, read 146,613 times
My husband and I just relocated to the area and those are the two towns we found the most appealing.We researched quite a bit and spent time in each town to get a feel for daily living. If you are looking for a condo, Hoboken is also a good place to look. (Be sure and get parking though, since street parking in Hoboken can be tough to find!)
We chose Fort Lee because it was easier to find a house - but Edgewater is a great town. If you are commuting to the city this area makes the most sense IMHO. The ferry and the bus are both good commuting options, there are great views and there is lots to do. Jersey City is also an option if you are looking for a more urban feel, but you need to be slightly more cautious about the neighborhood choice there.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:03 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,798 times
OP, is this to purchase or rent? If it's for purchase, I'd recommend against both in both buildings. Spend more time on google search and you should be able to draw your own conclusions and I recommend you rent for bit & look around in-person.

For renting, if you are more budget conscious then I'd recommend Hudson Harbour. All utils and assigned parking spot(s) are included so depending on which unit you end up renting, only thing you'll pay extra is for internet and possibly TV cable. Some units have TV cable service already included. It has 24/7 doorman and service is pretty good. No extra for amentities for outdoor swimming pool and tennis court. There's 50 bucks a year for key to small gym. Downside is that the building is old. It was built in 60s? 70s? and renovated later. So building has problems related to it's age. As for ethnic makeup of the building. It's largely asians, cauasians, and some african americans. I lived here for a year and I enjoy it very much.

I've never lived in The Palisades in Fort Lee but did not hear much good about the building. It's advertised as luxury building but finishes and experience folks I've talked to online and in-person was not positive. Plus I swear it looks like the building is tilted and leaning toward River Road.

Fort Lee and Edgewater is so close to each other though so you'll end up going back and forth between the two towns.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:29 AM

747 posts, read 2,758,687 times
What are your commuting or other preferences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey