Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 03:44 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
Is there a way? I would like to know if I should waste my time with this property or not - listed for 5 months, did not even get an offer yet. Other homes in this town are selling in a week or two if they are priced right, and I've seen quite a few go under contract lately. That makes me think this place is overpriced. Trulia and Zillow state that this house was last sold for $375 over 15 yrs ago, yet, this owner is asking for more than double, and does not seem very willing to negotiate. I wonder if he is plain clueless about today's market, or is he really stuck with a big second, etc. Anyone any thoughts? I like the house a lot, but I don't want to be anybody's fool...
Actually it's none of your business how much is left to pay on the mortgage. It also does not matter how much somebody paid for a property. You either like it enough to make an offer or go on to something else. You obviously think it is overpriced so why bother? I would like to buy a mansion but they are all overpriced or maybe I am just underfunded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 05:21 PM

564 posts, read 1,722,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Actually it's none of your business how much is left to pay on the mortgage. It also does not matter how much somebody paid for a property. You either like it enough to make an offer or go on to something else. You obviously think it is overpriced so why bother? I would like to buy a mansion but they are all overpriced or maybe I am just underfunded.
I am not underfunded at all. However, if I have the money that doesn't mean that I will pay a premium for this house, even though I like it a lot. This is a buyers' market. I don't think the prices will go up any time soon, and if anything, they may continue to come down until the unemployment figures get better... I don't want to overpay for this property, that's all... And to a previous point that was made here, if they owe too much on this house and can't come down I will try to find a different one. If that's not the case, I may wait a few weeks and see if they accept my offer after all. I am looking out for myself, as I should, and so is the owner. We'll have to see how it all ends...

Old 03-11-2010, 03:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
It also does not matter how much somebody paid for a property.
How much someone paid for a house is everyone's business. It's public knowledge.

Where I live, all property purchase prices are listed in the county real estate assessment website.

Doesn't matter if you bought it 30 years ago or last year, I can find out the selling price with a click of the mouse on the internet.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:52 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
How much someone paid for a house is everyone's business. It's public knowledge.

Where I live, all property purchase prices are listed in the county real estate assessment website.

Doesn't matter if you bought it 30 years ago or last year, I can find out the selling price with a click of the mouse on the internet.
\\
You are correct that it is public information but it in no way has anything to do with how much a house can be sold for.
My father paid 9k for the house I grew up in. Today those houses sell for 300k. Should I tell an original owner I know you only paid 9k so I'll offer you 18K and you doubled your money.
There is absolutely only one thing that determines the cost of homes or anything for that matter. Supply and demand.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:27 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Quote:
\\
You are correct that it is public information but it in no way has anything to do with how much a house can be sold for.
My father paid 9k for the house I grew up in. Today those houses sell for 300k. Should I tell an original owner I know you only paid 9k so I'll offer you 18K and you doubled your money.
There is absolutely only one thing that determines the cost of homes or anything for that matter. Supply and demand.
It's also impossible to build a house at that price today. Building Materials cost so much more, thats why you can get more house with a resale than you can with a new home.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:31 AM

39 posts, read 176,817 times
Knowing how much a person owes on a home only gives you a glimpse into their finances. So although someone has a big mortgage they may have a lot of money tucked elsewhere or vice versa. Don't forget that an appraisal would also be done on any property in which you are buying and obtaining a mortgage. Years ago houses always seemed to appraise out whereas in the current economic climate a house may not appraise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: