Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 04:38 PM

3 posts, read 6,127 times

Advertisements

I know you all have done this way too many times but would appreciate some more insight.
Son and his girlfriend need to establish an address in jersey city for fire dept.
Of course they would love downtown but cannot afford it.

they want to buy, they currently are looking in Journal Sq and The Heights.
some homes they have seen on internet in their price range are, Montgomery,Van wagenen, Fairview, Van Reipen ave also,Kensington,Harrison ave and Corbin..
Any input would be greatly appreciate, I know you all are tired of beating a dead issue,looking to get job on Fire Dept so he needs to live there.
Can only afford about $160,000 condo maybe 170

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 07:25 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,277,486 times
Those areas -- McGinley square and Journal Square are very hit-and-miss, so it's worth taking a careful look at your block before you buy.

Of these streets, Montgomery is a busy street in McGinley square neighborhood. Van Wagenen and Corbin are residential streets in JSQ, the others in McGinley Square area.

There are a few nice blocks between West Side and JFK and a small handful between JFK and Bergen (that I know of: Highland, Greenwood, Duncan).

That isn't a huge budget but it should be enough to get you 1-2 bedrooms in a nice building with decent neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mominjersey View Post
I know you all have done this way too many times but would appreciate some more insight.
Son and his girlfriend need to establish an address in jersey city for fire dept.

some homes they have seen on internet in their price range are, Montgomery,Van wagenen, Fairview, Van Reipen ave also,Kensington,Harrison ave and Corbin..
Any input would be greatly appreciate, I know you all are tired of beating a dead issue,looking to get job on Fire Dept so he needs to live there.

thanks in advance

Old 03-05-2010, 09:55 AM

3 posts, read 6,127 times
Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:23 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,274,470 times
Why not rent in downtown JC and save up for a large down payment on a house downtown? Terrible idea to rush in and purchae something in a city they know nothing about. RENT FIRST! Downtown has much, much more stuff to do. In fact, the other parts of Jersey City really have no nightlife, and very few restauraunts that you'd like to go into. I wish it were different, but I'm just telling it like it is.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:54 PM

592 posts, read 2,188,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mominjersey View Post

thanks in advance
160k?

a studio in st johns condo (201/225 st pauls ave, 10 huron), or a 1br in the lowrise next to it, i forgot the name.
or
a similar sized small 1br in 135 montgomery or 270/280 marin blvd. The reason why they are so cheap in good downtown location is because they are coop, not condo.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:08 AM

467 posts, read 1,489,577 times
Truthfully they are better off renting and not buying.....Save money and buy somewhere else when they
are able..Do they still have the ruling that you have to live in the city? not sure on that....

Old 06-01-2010, 09:45 AM

5 posts, read 17,645 times
150 Hopkins Ave in Jersey City Heights/ Journal Square can be a good solution. I have seen a renovated 2 bedroom condo there. There was an open house last week. I think it is listed with Weichert from Jersey City for around $165,000. I am sure that if you give them a call you will be able to get an agent's name and #.
I used to live in Journal Square area and in my opinion any street past Montgomery Ave is not the best choice. I would go with Heights as it is much more quiet, walking distance to Path and on street parking is not a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey