Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 10:44 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL. When I was a kid, a mean old lady used to come out on her front porch and yell at us to stay off her lawn...when we were on the sidewalk in front of her house walking home from school.

When I was a small child, we moved to Bayonne, and within a few weeks, my mother was visited by the crotchety old woman who lived two houses down the block from us. She complained to my mother that I was riding my bike past her house--on the sidewalk--several times each day.

My mother asked if I had ever ridden my bike on her lawn or on her driveway, or had done any damage of any kind to her property, and the neighbor responded, "no".
My mother asked, "What, exactly, is the problem?", and the woman responded that it made her nervous when I rode my bike past her house.

From then on, I went into the street while passing that house, and then returned to the sidewalk.

When dealing with irrational people, it is best to try to avoid confrontations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 11:08 AM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
When I was a small child, we moved to Bayonne, and within a few weeks, my mother was visited by the crotchety old woman who lived two houses down the block from us. She complained to my mother that I was riding my bike past her house--on the sidewalk--several times each day.

My mother asked if I had ever ridden my bike on her lawn or on her driveway, or had done any damage of any kind to her property, and the neighbor responded, "no".
My mother asked, "What, exactly, is the problem?", and the woman responded that it made her nervous when I rode my bike past her house.

From then on, I went into the street while passing that house, and then returned to the sidewalk.

When dealing with irrational people, it is best to try to avoid confrontations.
Good advice. I do remember that my friend's older brother yelled back to the woman that he wasn't on her lawn, and her response was "Yes, you must be, because I can hear the leaves swishing, and the leaves are in the yard, not on the sidewalk."

Mrs. Meer. I even remember her name. I'm talking about 45 years ago.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:10 AM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I expect one of the few high points of aging is to be able to pull that off. Another 10 years... maybe I should get a couple of John Deere hats now to give them that authentic worn look. Already have a rusty old rake :-)
Ah, I see we have similar ambitions. My goal is to be the scary old woman who lives with her cats. I already have the cats, and I'm six foot one, so that helps with the scariness. I've been walking on the treadmill to knock some pounds off, because I want to be a tall SKINNY old lady. I'll get a long black dress, too, to complete the look.

Old age might be fun!

Old 04-06-2013, 03:12 PM

550 posts, read 965,828 times
I realize that this is a pretty old thread, but if it were me, I'd invite the parents over for pizza and beer (and juice for the kids) one night and shoot the breeze. If the opportunity arises, then talk about what's bugging you. If not, at least you'll be less uncomfortable bringing it up if/when you need to.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,513 times
Default How to politely tell kids not to play on your property

I It doesn't really matter if you have children or not. It balls down to kids being supervised and the parents being responsible. Basic respect for your neighbor‘s property and peace is something that should be considered. We have four and hey are allowed to horse around and get crazy but not at other folks experience.

We had a similar problem in our quiet children friendly neighborhood. The kids from the nearby homes start playing on my neighbor’s property and after exhausting complaints to the parents the neighbor called in the assistance of the police department. Unfortunately the police had to be involved because the parents did not step up. The young couple that called I know them and they are very nice. Afterwards the neighbors that kids were made to stop intruding by the police they stop talking to the couple. This is a form of bullying folks. For stances, if you move into a neighbor and teens are playing loud music at all hours disturbing your peace and you complain to their parents and they don’t stop after repeated complaint’s ...should you just be told to get use to it because they are just teens?

Old 07-29-2014, 08:28 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times
Thanks for digging this gem up from last spring to proffer your advice.

Super topical, they probably haven't solve it by now.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:38 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
The neighbors kids used to play football on the side of my front lawn that adjoined theirs but I didn't mind.

What DID p#ss me off is we have one neighbor who treats his precious little front lawn like it's made out of gold. Always watering & cutting it to a certain millimeter. He let his kid jump his bike onto our front lawn while we were away. One of our nosy neighbors filled us in.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:50 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
If this is still a problem from the Spring of 2010 read on.

Install invisible dog fence. Allow German Shepherd or Pit Bull or any large Black dog to roam free in your yard. Guarantee no kids will be playing in your yard.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 460 times
I disagree, I have kid’s and don’t like other children using my property as a public park. They used your lot while it was vacant to play and their parent’s allowed it because the house was empty. Now you’ve moved in, it’s private property, YOUR property. You don’t owe anyone an explanation as to how you’d like to maintain your home. In fact, it’s inconsiderate of your neighbors to put you in the position of having to say anything at all. These parent’s should have explained t their children that the house and it’s property now belong to someone else and they need to respect that. Respect, an important universal rule that we all must learn.
I’m sorry you’re being placed in this position but, politely explain to these parent’s and then their children that you’d rather they play/draw elsewhere. END OF STORY. There is no malice intended by your request. Say it kindly but directly. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:21 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
i like the *I just treated my lawn with toxic chemicals response
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey