Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 06:08 PM

20 posts, read 67,006 times

Advertisements

Gosh there is so much great information on these boards! I really appreciate so many people taking the time to help out others by offering thoughts and suggestions.

I was hoping for some from Scotch Plains/Westfield/ Cranford people. We are looking at a couple of houses and wanted to get any feedback you may have on these particular areas.

In SP- Mountain Ave near Scotland.

In Westfield- area to the NE of Central Ave and Sycamore Street and also Hazel Ave near Brookside park.

In Cranford -200 blk S Union.

I was just looking for general info- amounts of traffic, parking, general feel and walkability.

Our family is moving this summer from Seattle- we are 2 kids , 7 and 11; 1 large dog; hubby working in Bridgewater; sahm who will be transitioning to workforce in next couple of years (hopefully) as a teacher.

We are looking for the things that everyone wants- great schools, safe area, (relatively) quiet street, kids to play with, accessible activities for kids, etc, etc.

Thanks for all the info!!

Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 06:41 PM

478 posts, read 1,749,863 times
Westfield is nice..Cranford not so nice.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:51 PM

I actually like Cranford too. I was just wondering if there was some specific information someone could share about those particular areas I listed. Just wondering.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:46 PM

18 posts, read 43,312 times
Smile Cranford

I have lived in Cranford for over 30 years and don't think you could go wrong anywhere in the town.

Schools are excellent, 2 town pools, newer rec center, sports programs for kids, houses of worship. The people of the town are for the most part friendly and just nice people (every town has a few of the other). My neighbors are great and so are the friends I have made through my kids and local groups.

I can't comment on that area in detail (I will check out that block this week). I will comment on that specific block when I do.

I really think you should check us out!

Old 04-18-2010, 05:06 PM

Thanks Shady!! I really appreciate you looking into that area. Keep me posted.

L.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:06 PM

26 posts, read 68,863 times
I know that there has been certain areas in Cranford which flood terribly and I am not certain if the town/county/state/feds have done anything to correct it. Perhaps some Cranford residents can fill us in on the status of those areas. Out of the 3 towns you mention, Westfield was always considered the pinnacle of status.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:48 AM

Oh yeah, the flooding- I was going to ask about that! How does one go about finding out about flood risk of a particular property or neighborhood? Is there a central place to find how often a particular place has flooded. So flood insurance is probably a good idea?!?

Old 04-19-2010, 06:46 AM

Unhappy Flooding

If you are in a flood zone,you will have to purchase flood insurance to get your mortgage. We did and have claimed damage twice. We are on the North Side near the college.

I am sure there are ways to check if an area has flooded before (they must disclose). Talk to your real estate agent and then decide if you want to get it 'just to be safe'. The town hall could help with information also. My Uncle ,who is a builder, swears almost all of NJ has the potential to flood if the conditions are right.

Watch in all three of these towns. I have friends in Westfield and Scotch Plains who also have had floods.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:32 PM

Default 200 Block S. Union

I rode down the block this AM to check it out. Lovely older well kept homes. Seems like a charming neighborhood. Walkable to downtown,parks etc.

I have never heard of this area of Cranford flooding but I would check it out to be safe.

Good Luck whatever town you choose!

Old 04-19-2010, 01:20 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo2009 View Post
Westfield is nice..Cranford not so nice.
Cranford "not so nice" ??? What?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey