Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 09:53 PM

39 posts, read 123,761 times

Advertisements

Recently moved to LS and looking for a dance school for my 4 year old.
I've looked at Dance Plus in LS as well as Kick in Fair Haven and the Academy of Dance Arts in Red Bank...

Wanted to know if anyone has sent their children to any of these schools and any feedback you may have on them.

Don't want a dance factory - just a fun place (not too stressed out) for my daughter to learn from great teachers (not teenager students!)

Also, that the owners are really into teaching the kids and not yelling all the time. I know recital time gets nuts but not looking for too much craziness.

Also- perhaps you may have feedback on the quality of the recitals/lesson/instruction given...

May try some short summer classes out to get a feel of the instruction.
Also, I'm aware some schools may use instruction not appropriate for the very young-- meaning the physical aspects of certain moves may not be good for 4 year olds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 02:44 PM

417 posts, read 1,068,388 times
I used to attend the Academy of Dance Arts in Red Bank for years when I was younger..although I didn't switch to that school until about 5th or 6th grade. I don't know what the toddler classes are like but in my opinion, the teachers and owners of that school expect that everyone attending will eventually become a prima ballerina and in turn need to take hours of classes every week (which can be costly). It may not be that bad at the younger age but I eventually left the school because I was told I could no longer run for my track team since I was "developing the wrong muscles". The parents there are also very clicky..I remember my mother constantly complaining about that because if you're not willing to volunteer hours of your time making costumes and sitting backstage during recital rehearsals than they don't want to know you. The school itself really does teach you alot and the teachers are amazing but if you're looking for more of a fun place for your daughter than I would go with Dance Plus...just my opinion and as I said I don't know how the younger classes are there..they may be totally different. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2010, 09:04 PM

390 posts, read 1,510,547 times
Do they permit you to observe a class before joining?

Btw, Congratulations on your new home. I hope everything is working out for you.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:04 PM

39 posts, read 123,761 times
Yes, I'll have to do that : )

Thanks! We LOVE it and definitely we made the right decision by moving to LS : )

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2010, 05:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,133 times
Welcome to the area! I am also the mom of a 4 year old (and a 2 year old) , and the proud owner of Kick Fitness and Dance! I moved to Fair Haven 3 years ago to be closer to the studio and we love it here! I recommend checking out the local Newcomers group. I met so many wonderful friends at Newcomers event!
I hope you don't mind me replying to your thread about dance...and of course I hope you choose Kick for your child's dance education!!
As a mom, I totally understand your concerns. Kick is a smaller school and I am personally involved in all classes and programs. Teaching ages 6 and under is a special skill. The three of us at Kick who teach this age group are all professional teachers with young children of our own. Age appropriate is so important, as well as variety. My favorite class for this age group is our dance sampler where children learn ballet using our "fantasy garden" curriculum and then finish with some jazz/musical theater style dance.
We do have and end of the year performance at the Count Basie Theater where our dancers have the opportunity to showcase the years accomplishments. Classes are not focused on the performance at this age. We are more process oriented with the young ones. The most important thing we can teach young dancers is a love for dance. Without that, all the lovely technique you teach is wasted, because the child will likely not continue to dance without the love.
I would like to invite you to a complimentary trial class during the summer. We have Dance Sampler on Wednesdays at 9:30AM, and Ballet stories on Wendesdays at 4PM. Our website has all the details.
You can also stop in and observe a current class on any day at any time.
Hope to see you at Kick soon!

Old 05-09-2010, 07:09 AM

377 posts, read 1,115,283 times
I sent my daughter to A Step in The Right Direction in Shrewsbury, right on the border of Red Bank. I loved it, very laid back. They even have a princess camp in the summer. The girls can wear whatever they want to classes and the teacher makes it fun with books and even has parties on different occasions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey