Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 11:47 PM

577 posts, read 981,020 times

Advertisements

605 School Districts = 605 Superintendents & thousands of Assisstant Superintendents& thousands of other administrators.

Make up 21 County Districts with 21 Superindentants & 21 Assistant Superintendents Period. One principal per school.Max of two other administrators per HS, one max per other schools. Teachers max salary 75K, self funded 401K, 50% contribution to health plan. No paid health coverage upon retirement. Must show up to work 185 days per year any sick, emergencies, personal days etc taken will result in no pay so the substitute gets paid from missing teachers deduction.

Teachers will still get 180 days off and will generate much interest.

Police Depts. Now about 575 different Depts with 575 highly paid chiefs, thousands of Asst Chiefs, thousands of Capts etc.

Make up 21 County Police Depts & another 12 or so City Depts for Cities like Newark, Camden, Paterson, Trenton Atlantic City etc.
County Depts will Have 1 Chief, 1 Asst Chief and about 6 to 10 Pcts per County headed by a Capt and a Lt. 10 Sgts & about 1500 Cops. All cops on patrol and about 10 civilians per pct for administrative work. Each County PD would also be responsible for jails, crime scene & detectives.
Offer existing cops opportunity to apply for county jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 12:29 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,889,835 times
I've been saying this for years, it's so obvious. Even if we had 40 school districts it would be an improvement. As for the whole cop thing, I'm not 100% for it, but the school district bit would save MILLIONS, if not BILLIONS.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:04 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,330,033 times
One thing thats always perplexed me about NJ is the lack of county police forces. Here on Long Island we've always had county police. Except for a handful of villages and east end towns, areas are patrolled by county police.
Not only does merging police and schools save money, but it also provides better communication. When it comes to police, thats quite important.
Does any county in NJ have its own police force?

Old 05-03-2010, 04:04 AM

85 posts, read 178,283 times
Tremendous idea, unfortnately it will never happen because it is....COMMON SENSE. Too many people are benefiting from the current system.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:13 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,282,681 times
Where do you get 60% from ? Why not 59% or 61% ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
605 School Districts = 605 Superintendents & thousands of Assisstant Superintendents& thousands of other administrators.

Make up 21 County Districts with 21 Superindentants & 21 Assistant Superintendents Period. One principal per school.Max of two other administrators per HS, one max per other schools. Teachers max salary 75K, self funded 401K, 50% contribution to health plan. No paid health coverage upon retirement. Must show up to work 185 days per year any sick, emergencies, personal days etc taken will result in no pay so the substitute gets paid from missing teachers deduction.

Police Depts. Now about 575 different Depts with 575 highly paid chiefs, thousands of Asst Chiefs, thousands of Capts etc.

Make up 21 County Police Depts & another 12 or so City Depts for Cities like Newark, Camden, Paterson, Trenton Atlantic City etc.
County Depts will Have 1 Chief, 1 Asst Chief and about 6 to 10 Pcts per County headed by a Capt and a Lt. 10 Sgts & about 1500 Cops. All cops on patrol and about 10 civilians per pct for administrative work. Each County PD would also be responsible for jails, crime scene & detectives.
Offer existing cops opportunity to apply for county jobs.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:17 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,944,473 times
It might save NJ 60% (although I doubt it) but do you really think those savings will be passed on to you, the taxpayer? Never going to happen....

Also I will add that I think it's a terrible idea (from a purely personal point of view). I Love our smallish top school district and safe little town where everybody knows your name. If living here costs me 25k a year in taxes, so be it. I knew that going in (as did most of the people with young families here) and I'll suck it up until my kid's are out of school.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:49 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,761,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post

I am all for consolidation and I think it would save way more than just administrator salaries. Shared services like traveling teachers, guidance councilors, special ed, less buses, food concessions, etc would all help lower costs.

So woo hoo for consolidation.

Now I will tell you as a federally highly qualified teacher, I would not work in NJ for what you laid out above. That is the trade off we chose for our, less money but more benefits than those in private industry. If we are getting paid less AND no pension/benefits why would anyone who is highly qualified stick around?

And as a side note you mention 180 days a year off as if that is a huge attractant. Most comparable industry jobs have around 220-235 days working and most teachers work around 190. Not as large a difference as you are making it out to be above. Additionally teachers do not get paid for their time "off" so it completely evens out. In industry/academia (which is where I came from so hence my comparison) no one gets docked pay for sick days.

The problem with not having federally highly qualified teachers is the districts will lose the largest chunk of federal money, which then has to be made up at the state or local level. There goes your savings or at least a large chunk of it. And without highly qualified teachers, school achievement could decline which we know effects property values. But I suppose that could lower taxes even more.

As for the police I am not well informed enough to know whether or not that would work or save money.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:13 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,685,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
It might save NJ 60% (although I doubt it) but do you really think those savings will be passed on to you, the taxpayer? Never going to happen....

Also I will add that I think it's a terrible idea (from a purely personal point of view). I Love our smallish top school district and safe little town where everybody knows your name. If living here costs me 25k a year in taxes, so be it. I knew that going in (as did most of the people with young families here) and I'll suck it up until my kid's are out of school.
The failing Greece economy is a perfect example of what happens when the government pays out more than it takes in. They have exceptional entitlements for state and government workers and now have to take back their benefits and reduce salaries.

If NJ doesn't become solvent, it will have the same problems. No, the savings won't be passed to the taxpayers, but increased taxes will.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:06 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,944,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
The failing Greece economy is a perfect example of what happens when the government pays out more than it takes in. They have exceptional entitlements for state and government workers and now have to take back their benefits and reduce salaries.

If NJ doesn't become solvent, it will have the same problems. No, the savings won't be passed to the taxpayers, but increased taxes will.
Exactly - the savings won't be passed on. But who would be willing to accept consolidated school districts in order to keep your taxes the same? Sounds like a losing proposition to me. I'll pass on the huge schools that my kids will be bussed to. If I lived in a crappy school district I might think differently I guess.

Last edited by Obrero; 05-03-2010 at 06:14 AM..

Old 05-03-2010, 07:42 AM

577 posts, read 981,020 times
RE:And as a side note you mention 180 days a year off as if that is a huge attractant. Most comparable industry jobs have around 220-235 days working and most teachers work around 190. Not as large a difference as you are making it out to be above. Additionally teachers do not get paid for their time "off" so it completely evens out. In industry/academia (which is where I came from so hence my comparison) no one gets docked pay for sick days.

Well lets be completely honest, teachers are required to show up to work about 180 days per year but as you well know they take sick days, personal leave days, emergency days, snow days etc all paid for by the taxpayer when a substitute teacher has to be called in to replace him/her...So the real number of days a teacher actually comes to work is in the 165 days a year ballpark (Thats about 200 days off per year) And if they're assigned to a High School they actually teach in front of a class for about 3:40 minutes a day. Not a bad gig!

By the way I could care less how many days an employee in private industry works...I'm not paying for it via my tax dollars & if that workers product or service is overpriced I have a choice to to not purchase it or not utilize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey