Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 11:32 PM

13 posts, read 54,119 times

Advertisements

Looking for a large piece of land with beautiful mountain views. We'll be completely new to nm, coming from "humidity haven, over populated,
over rated florida"!

We want small town but close enough to big city for shopping & schools then head back home to our country living! Any suggestions? We've been looking at Questa so far. We want to stay in the Taos area. Anyone out there living the country life, with the same idea!

Help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 12:03 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Taos is hardly a 'big city', but it certainly thrives on shopping, by tourists at least.

I haven't been there for several years, but moving to Questa isn't such a bad idea for what you want. You just might be ahead of the curve. There wasn't much to it last time I was there, except a fabulous place to eat (I wish I could remember its name). It does have real winters.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:24 AM

hi catman,
By "ahead of the curve" you mean I would be moving there just it time, before the big boom in the area? That doen't sound that bad. Someone told me that the locals are a tough bunch. They have a hard time getting ajusted to new comers.
Do you know if that's true. We are a hispanic family and that might help us fit in better, maybe. So are the winters cruel up there?

Old 07-15-2007, 02:48 PM

150 posts, read 792,378 times
Default Big City Schools & Shopping in the Taos Area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM-Bound View Post
Looking for a large piece of land with beautiful mountain views. We'll be completely new to nm, coming from "humidity haven, over populated,
over rated florida"!

We want small town but close enough to big city for shopping & schools then head back home to our country living! Any suggestions? We've been looking at Questa so far. We want to stay in the Taos area. Anyone out there living the country life, with the same idea!

Help!!!
First of all, Taos,NM is one of our most beautiful areas in the state. But, it is tiny itself (pop. 5,000+)! The entire Taos County is only a bit over 25,000. Questa has always been a small town, formerly totally dependent on the mine there (which hasn't helped the ground water.) You say you want to stay in the Taos area, but the nearest "big city" is Santa Fe, about 100 miles southwest. Taos Pueblo has been around as it stands now since the 15th Century, and Taos (the town) was a sleepy little Spanish village in the 18th Century. If they haven't "boomed" by now, I don't think they are going to...even more so for poor Questa.

If you can tear yourselves away from the Taos area. I'd advise you take a look at acreages SE of Santa Fe, in the Lamy area...or South of Santa Fe, off NM14. Also, the Edgewood/Moriarty area, east of Albuquerque has many homesites w/acreages quickly expanding. Albuquerque is only 30-45 minutes from these communities via the interstate. They also (like Taos) get plenty of snow in the winter. The areas south of I-40, between Tijeras (15 miles east of Albuquerque), and Edgewood, are especially nice, with rolling hills of pinon trees.

Being Hispanic, you would probably be more easily accepted in the more traditional, rural Hispanic areas of Northern New Mexico than Anglos, but that varies from community to community. If you want big city shopping and especially schools, there is nothing in the Taos area. School busing in the areas I've mentioned above would probably not be more than 30 minutes, there are new elementary and mid-schools in the Edgewood area...but High Schoolers still have to be bused either to SE Albuquerque (Manzano High School), or Moriarty High School to the east.

Don't want to rain on your parade, but your criteria, and the Taos area do not seem to be "simpatico" mi amigos. I know how hard it is to have our dreams and realities come together. :-)

I too escaped the humidity 23 years ago to move to Albuquerque, and have loved every moment, especially it's mild winters, and summers.

My very best wishes in your hunt for a new home!

Old 07-15-2007, 02:54 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
nm_photojournalist:

I have been enjoying your informative posts about various places in New Mexico.

Thanks!

Old 07-17-2007, 06:39 PM

Smile Thanks NMPJ

Your advise has helped us spread our search area. We are taking a trip to NM mid August, and I'm officially scared to death not knowing a specific area to dedicate our search time. We will have about 4 days to look around.

I do know I REALLY don't want to live near to a busy city. I want to be at least a 30 minute drive to one. I want to leave Florida due to the hype and busy life. I'm wanting true open land and quiet environment. I'm a Graphic Designer and I also work at my local library, so I definetly want to be close to possible work. I will check out those places you mentioned and also pass them over to our realtor.

Thanks again for you help!

Old 07-23-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Thanks back

Thank you for you kind comment Towanda. (Were you in "Fried Green Tomatoes?") LOL.

Now, NM-Bound. If you want "space," but also a 30-minute drive to the city, I again recommend the area north and south of I-40, between Tijeras (15 miles east of Albuquerque...where NM14 goes north to Santa Fe), and the Edgewood and Moriarty areas. Lots of room to grow out there, some with pinon covered hills, some with flat-plains. I enjoyed another Sunday drive this weekend out through this area, specifically so that I may "get out of town to the country too," without having to drive over a 50-mile round trip!
:-) Plains, pinons, and cool pines, all within 25 miles of Albuquerque!

Check out these websites NM-bound, I think they will help y'all out.

www.homes&land.com (try a search for "Edgewood" and you'll see many listings)
www.homesillustratedalb.com (this is the immediate Albuquerque area, but the website will allow you to spread out to surrounding towns).

Have a good week. Keep dreaming, keep looking, keep hoping above all!

Your "special place" is out there somewhere! You just haven't found it yet!

I hope this helps a bit in your search.

P.S. If you come to the Albuquerque area...and east of the Sandias/Monzanos off I-40...especially drive NM217 (north and south from I-40)...but you'll need to be on old U.S.66 to do so. Going east from Albuquerque on I-40...just take the Tijeras Exit, then "stay" on that frontage road on to the east. Better yet, when you get in: pick up a copy of a "New Mexico Road & Recreation Atlas" at a Walgreens or Walmart (auto dept. usually). They have much more detailed maps of all New Mexico (each is about 100 miles x 100 miles), which you'll be able to use over and over in your search.

Last edited by nm_photojournalist; 07-23-2007 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: additional P.S.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:39 PM

40 posts, read 157,038 times
Default Nice Weather

Don't forget to look souhwest toward Silver City. The weather is about as good as you can find. Not too hot, or not too cold. Small University of about 2000 students and 50 mile north of I-10

Old 07-23-2007, 03:47 PM

NM Bound! Sorry!

correct E-mails:
Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Land, New Homes and Real Estate Agents - HomesAndLand

Homesillustrated Online

Old 07-23-2007, 09:58 PM

Smile NMPJ your a genius!

Thanks once more NMPJ!

I will definetly put that on my search mission. This has been quite an adventure already. I'm learning so much about NM now, that soon I'll be giving out the advise! You have been great help. By the way, do you know someone looking for a Graphic Designer? Don't mean to toot my own horn, but I make awesome advertising materials. Just a thought, if you know of anyone looking.

Again thanks a lot for info, I will let you know what I find.

Take care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico