Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2007, 08:44 AM

2 posts, read 15,083 times

Advertisements

For those who are familiar with the taos/questa area ..... does the road (NM 522) between Taos and Questa get a lot of snow in the winter or does it close frequently for snow? I'm contemplating just commuting between the two, but I wondered if other people thought it was a logical thing to do?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 02:42 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
My guess is that it gets a lot of snow, but it's not frequently closed due to snow. NM seems to do a fair job of keeping roads open.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,909 times
Roads are maintained in winter, it is a bus route. However, there have been a few storms in which I was forced to turn around in. From Taos to Hondo things are usually fine, its once you pass San Cristobal that it starts to accumulate. The hills (questas) require some speed to get up in the normalist of conditions, and in the snow they can get a bit treachous.

My mom however has survived several winters driving an ancient Volvo. She is a frequent customer with all of the tow companies in town. The jury is out as to whether this is because of her driving abilities, or the weather!

Old 09-25-2007, 06:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Sounds like northern New Hampshire. Why not try to live closer to work?

Old 09-26-2007, 08:54 AM

6 posts, read 36,763 times
Default Christmas

I'll be in Taos for Christmas and wondered about that as well. We have a couple of day trips planned (enchanted circle and high road) so it could be fun. My Jeep group friends say "nothing to worry about" of course we do drive jeepsRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by txag05 View Post
For those who are familiar with the taos/questa area ..... does the road (NM 522) between Taos and Questa get a lot of snow in the winter or does it close frequently for snow? I'm contemplating just commuting between the two, but I wondered if other people thought it was a logical thing to do?

Thanks.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,794 times
I Live In Questa And My Brother Drives To Work In Taos Daily. The Road Is Rarely Almost Never Closed. It Is A Very Excellent Road And A Beautiful Drive. As Long As You Are Not Commuting Before Dawn The Road Is Usually Cleared. It Is Well Traveled And Maintained. Anyone Used To Winter Driving Will Have No Problem What You Do Have To Watch Out For Is Other Drivers And Drunk Drivers. There Are Many Campesantos On The Road. These Are Memorial Crosses. But If You Take Care You Should Be Able To Do It Okay. Many People Here Commute There. Also The County Has Just Started A Bus Which Goes To Taos Espanola And Further. It Only Costs Two Dollars Each Way. Two Buses In The Morning One At Six And One At Nine. If You Want Anymore Info You Can Email Me. Good Luck Jr

Old 11-21-2007, 07:21 PM

105 posts, read 239,413 times
The salt/cinder trucks tend to be more up there but you never know - you can call 800 432-4269 for road conditions - sometimes faster (sometimes NOT) than the web.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:28 AM

6 posts, read 36,763 times
Default Thanks Everyone.. Ron

Many thanks.. Only thirteen days until V-Day.. Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rljsrubicon View Post
I'll be in Taos for Christmas and wondered about that as well. We have a couple of day trips planned (enchanted circle and high road) so it could be fun. My Jeep group friends say "nothing to worry about" of course we do drive jeepsRon

Old 12-07-2007, 12:28 PM

7 posts, read 23,428 times
We really don't get a whole lot of snow in the Taos area, in my experience. An occasional real storm, but the sun is so powerful, it melts fast and first on the asphalt. Taos is a total wonder in winter.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:52 PM

18 posts, read 95,081 times
My FIL lives in Costilla, north of Questa, and commutes to Taos daily and has for five years. I think maybe once he couldn't get to town, every other day he's been at his office in Taos by 7am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico