Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,892 times

Advertisements

I recently experienced a new law in New Mexico.
I was staying at the Hyatt Regency in Albuquerque. I am traveling alone on business, female, in my mid-50s.
I often order a bottle of wine, in states that have corkage laws, where I may have a glass or two then take the bottle to my room to finish later or the next day. New Mexico has a corkage law, plus I was staying at the hotel.

I ordered my usual bottle of wine with a lovely dinner. I was told because I was a single person (I don't know if that meant single woman, or simply a solo diner) that I could not have the bottle of wine. That it was the law in New Mexico.

I've never heard of such a thing. I searched as best I could on-line to see if such a law exists and I can't seem to find where it comes from

Can someone help me understand this law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 05:47 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,475,787 times
See the following. Looks like the restaurant was correct.

- http://www.restaurant.org/pdfs/legal..._recorking.pdf

- A tale of wine woe - Monday, November 03, 2008 - Copyright 2007 Ourtribune.com

- Wiser Waitress : South West (this one says you can recork if the bottle is sealed in a plastic bag, but who knows if the poster is totally correct)

Old 12-15-2012, 09:16 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,831 times
Without looking at those links, I'm guessing it has something to do with the law that says you can't serve more than two drinks to one person at a time.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:02 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Normally, It's actually related to leaving an establishment with an open container.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:32 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishani View Post
I recently experienced a new law in New Mexico.
I was staying at the Hyatt Regency in Albuquerque. I am traveling alone on business, female, in my mid-50s.
I often order a bottle of wine, in states that have corkage laws, where I may have a glass or two then take the bottle to my room to finish later or the next day. New Mexico has a corkage law, plus I was staying at the hotel.

I ordered my usual bottle of wine with a lovely dinner. I was told because I was a single person (I don't know if that meant single woman, or simply a solo diner) that I could not have the bottle of wine. That it was the law in New Mexico.

I've never heard of such a thing. I searched as best I could on-line to see if such a law exists and I can't seem to find where it comes from

Can someone help me understand this law?
From the New Mexico Administrative Code:
15.10.51 NMAC

15.10.51.9 OPEN CONTAINER RESTRICTIONS:

A. No one shall provide a person with an open container of an alcoholic beverage for consumption off the licensed premises or permit removal of an open container from the licensed premises.

B. No person shall remove an open container of an alcoholic beverage from a licensed premise.
But there are some other issues/laws/ordinances which involve two or more people

And there is some other issues/laws/ordinances of re-corking wine. It may be allowed if it is re-corked, placed in a sealed container, with receipt attached. I thought it could not be done if two people were using the wine, it could not be removed.

But some past law suits and drunkenness has gotten some news articles, and some establishments may not wish to expose themselves to possible suits. So, they are a bit restrictive. Even Walmart (and other places) card anyone buying liquor. I got carded a few days ago buying liqueur, I am 60+ years old.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico