Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 16,969 times

Advertisements

Our dream is to build in Ruidoso someday. We have already purchased approximately 4 acres in pursuit of our eventual dream. It will be a second home (unless my husband has his way ). We absolutely love the look and detailing found with log homes. However, it is our understanding that more and more individuals are building stucco due to the Santa Fe influence, fire protection, and the long-term maintenance of a log cabin.

Any insights or thoughts? Thank you in advance...
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 04:25 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Stucco is usually applied over conventional framing, rather than various other types of siding. Much older homes might be real adobe which is discussed and argued a bit.

A log home? Probably going to be your most costly option. There are various types, standard framing with sliced log segments added as siding to the more expensive real log homes which is the entire wall. Trees are expensive here in New Mexico...

You might read this thread: Building in Ruidoso

Old 01-24-2013, 10:20 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,592,916 times
I'm not much into "style", but I wouldn't pick log for any reason. Stucco is just applied over frame like Poncho said.

If your land has a good view to the south, you should consider passive solar elements. That would be lots of windows on the south side and internal masonry/concrete for thermal mass. If you design it right, you will need very little additional heat and no cooling at all. For fire protection, masonry/concrete on the outside with a metal roof, would be best.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 16,969 times
Thank you both for your comments. I appreciate it!

Old 01-24-2013, 11:24 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,305,887 times
If I were building in an area with possible forest fires, I'd go with CMUs or cast concrete.

You can stucco over the exterior of you like.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 AM

99 posts, read 315,522 times
If your home is in a forest fire it will be severely damaged generally speaking no matter what the construction method. We live in a Hearthstone log home and are very happy with it. The atmosphere of a log home is casual and relaxing. It's like living in a log lodge. However, we know other people have different desires for their homes.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:51 PM

31 posts, read 48,577 times
I have lived in a log home here in the East. My only caution is that they are very high maintenance.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:21 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,065 times
Explain high maintenance. We're considering it. Actually in my home now which is brick the living room is log. We used antique log for that room and I am not sure what the difference in maintenance would be. If we build in Northern NM or Southern Co, we're thinking of all log so your insight would be appreciated.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:32 PM

471 posts, read 977,129 times
I vote for the log style, especially a smaller cabin type. But be sure to check with your home insurance company and see what the rates would be on a real log home there. A regular frame home with stucco applied over it would be cheaper and easier to build, but the best indicator of what is appropriate for that area would be to see what others have built and how their homes are standing the weather, time, and all that. Also, if you plan to sell your home there someday, you may want to check with a local realtor and take that into the equation too. Anyway you build it, that is a nice area that you would probably enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico