Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:03 PM

261 posts, read 935,878 times

Advertisements

Well, it's been a week since the Democratic primary in New Mexico and we apparently do not yet know who won. (This is the state where the A-Bombs are built. We're the smart ones.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 11:10 PM

102 posts, read 586,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbasin View Post
Well, it's been a week since the Democratic primary in New Mexico and we apparently do not yet know who won. (This is the state where the A-Bombs are built. We're the smart ones.)
Good strategy! Keep your options open New Mexico. Maybe you can work that to your advantage later.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:10 PM

382 posts, read 1,227,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbasin View Post
I dropped a few F-bombs to my State rep. about this. It is more than pathetic. Maybe Bill was still planning on being in the race and they had already "counted" the ballots. When he dropped out, the Dems had to scramble and really count them?

Old 02-13-2008, 12:04 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,185 times
Probably drag up enough ballots lost in a warehouse in Socorro to match up with Bills selection of the NM primary winner.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Last I heard they still haven't located the county commissioner or his office due to the horrendous snowstorms. I'm not kidding. Nothing political, just really bad weather

Old 02-13-2008, 01:36 PM

507 posts, read 2,061,106 times
Just sad. Can't they figure this out? If my home state were not so politically insigificant, this story might warrant more national attention.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:05 PM

946 posts, read 3,264,802 times
It looks like two problems did us in and embarrassed before the world. The snow delayed the ballots from one county, but apparently they were under lock and key and are long since counted.

So the two bigs one are:

1. Unprepared for the numbers -- we consolidated too many polling places, the lines got too long in some areas, and some people finally just gave up.
2. The voting lists apparently were not that accurate -- so many people were given provisional ballots -- too many people. These all had to be set aside and then each has to be verified. You have to establish that (a) the person is entitled to vote and (b) has not also voted in another precinct -- a laborious time consuming process all done by volunteers.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:42 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Remember the 2000 presidential election? For all the chaos that occurred in Florida, let's not forget what happened here. The state was originally called for Bush, by 134 votes, then out of no where, I forget what county's Sec of State 'found' 500 votes hidden under some binder for Gore. Gore wound up winning by 366 votes.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:52 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW3 View Post
Last I heard they still haven't located the county commissioner or his office due to the horrendous snowstorms. I'm not kidding. Nothing political, just really bad weather
This might be a little more feasible if it hadn't happened with startling regularity. Remember, it took incredibly much longer in New Mexico than in other similarly close states (with incredibly higher populations) in BOTH the 2000 and 2004 presidential elections (in '00 NM eventually went for Gore but in '04 it eventually went for Bush) AND a local-yet-statewide-significant race, the 2006 Heather Wilson v. Patricia Madrid District 1 Congressional race.

In the presidential instances, it was a nationwide embarrassment for New Mexico. And while both Bush v. Gore and Bush v. Kerry were razor thin, thankfully neither race boiled down to New Mexico. However, '00 boiled down to Florida and '04 boiled down to Ohio, so it wasn't out of the question that in such close races, New Mexico's 5 electoral votes could've helped decide things. Thank goodness that wasn't the case, or it would've been beyond embarrassment for the state and the real incompetency would've been demonstrated.

The '06 Congressional race between Wilson and Madrid was equally appalling, even though granted it wasn't a statewide thing (but easily the biggest and most populated district of the 3 in New Mexico) and with Congressional representation on the line, was so crucial to the whole state (and was so especially disgusting since we'd just seen a similar incompetent delay only two years earlier in the presidential election).

The bottom line is that the Secretary of States are the ultimate authorities on these matters, and the job isn't getting done. Enough of the excuses. Such incompetence pooh pooh'd off by every excuse in the world would never be tolerated whatsoever in the private sector...why does NM allow it for its critical elections? I realize that this is a vast, large, state that in many places is rural, however, there are tons of states like that in this nation who don't struggle anywhere near to this level anywhere near this consistently. There are 2 million people in the state only - it isn't rocket science (considering the amount of time that the Sec of States have to prep for these elections and their ensuing countings).

Rebecca Vigil-Giron was the Secretary of State for the State of New Mexico for both the '00 and '04 presidential elections, so both failures in expedient countings fell squarely on her lap. No excuses.

Then, the '06 Congressional race was governed by the local Secretary of State for that district - Mary Herrera - who was even more incompetent. So what did the voters do? They elected Herrera to replace Vigil-Giron to the State Secretary of State! Arrrrghhh!!!

That position is really a very non-political one. It isn't related to policy setting like many / most other political issues. Thus, I didn't get why that alone wouldn't have caused us all to vote for Herrera's opponent in that election. Just to punish her (not reward her) for that fiasco and try to get someone competent into that job who could oversee votes being counted actually somewhat on time.

Now...this, the Democratic thing. Golly. Just amazing.

The scary thing is that again, in '08, with there always being a large Democratic base in the state, and with the GOP running McCain (popular in NM due to his southwestern association as being from neighboring Arizona), I could easily see the presidential race being very close again in New Mexico. Tell anyone why we should expect any quicker / more competent vote counting this time around?

I don't care if you are a Democrat, Republican, Independent, conservative, moderate, or liberal...I would say that if I were a voting New Mexican citizen as I recently was, for ANY Secretary of State election, I would vigorously vote the incumbent out of their role and get some new blood in those posts. Stop rewarding incompetence / patronizing excuses and get people in who will do good, competent jobs.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:53 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Remember the 2000 presidential election? For all the chaos that occurred in Florida, let's not forget what happened here. The state was originally called for Bush, by 134 votes, then out of no where, I forget what county's Sec of State 'found' 500 votes hidden under some binder for Gore. Gore wound up winning by 366 votes.
Mike - Great call...see my post right after yours...you are exactly right. It was a fiasco in '00, and don't forget that '04, New Mexico wasn't called seriously for well over a month!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico