Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 11:12 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Of the places that you are considering in Texas, Lubbock seems the most appealing with more things to do. I have family in Abilene and San Angelo. Abilene is very conservative and religious but also very stodgy and a better fit for older people although there are several Christian colleges - many of the families have lived there for a few generations so it may not be that inviting to newcomers. My niece grew up in Abilene but now lives in San Angelo and likes it better. But her interests are her family and local theater. I've never been there but get the impression it is more youthful and open than Abilene.

I spent two weeks in Carlsbad and although it had some attractive areas, I thought it very boring with few amenities except the Caverns and nearby Guadalupes. Most of the night life focused on rowdy oil field workers who swarmed the town at night. But I have not been there since the oil bust. Roswell seems to be the hub of that area.

Alamogordo is not particularly Texan although there are a good number of Texans living up on the hill in Cloudcroft (and an hour away in Ruidoso). Las Cruces is not Texan either but has somewhat of a western feel and friendly people - the university was originally the aggie college. I consider Las Cruces conservative but not as much so as Little Texas - others on this forum consider it moderate. There will be a Church of Christ in all these towns - I found three listed on the internet for Las Cruces. If you want a change from Texas but not a drastic change and want hot weather, Las Cruces might be a good fit. It is about an hour to Alamogordo and it may be a good intermediate step prior to deciding whether to move to Albuquerque or Phoenix.
Hi ABQ 2015, thanks for your long and detailed response.I agree that Lubbock seems like a good fit.I am not really a night life type of person so that aspect of Carlsbad does not really affect me.Yes, it looks like Las Cruces might work.Thanks for looking at churches of Christ in Las Cruces on the internet.I did that as well.....I guess it would be just be a question of finding the right one.Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
-WT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 09:09 PM

163 posts, read 171,600 times
I've been to Alamogordo twice... LONG story short, my fiance's parents have a house in La Luz (which is basically right there) and they've offered it to us to live in since they moved to WA state. I have lived in the Norfolk/Hampton Roads, Virginia area my whole life and it's getting WAY too overcrowded, crime is getting horrible here, it's humid as heck and it's just time for us to go. When I've visited, I make it a point to visit Cloudcroft which is right up the road from Alamo. It's heaven. Living by the beach all your life will give you a new appreciation for the mountains to be sure.

My point is if you're looking for a smaller town with enough shopping, etc to keep you sustained, Alamogordo is good. There's a nicely renovated/newer grocery store there called Lowe's that was really cool (nice bakery, nice deli, etc). They also have a cool little coffee shop there called Plateau Espresso which was awesome. I do not know how to compare it to Texas, but I do enjoy the smaller size (36K people compared to 2 million where I live? I'll take it!) and people seem generally pretty friendly. I also went to Sante Fe and fell in LOVE, but there's no way I could afford to live there. I would say if you like a slow pace, Otero County/Alamogordo seems to be a nice choice. My main problems is that they don't have a Target (I Know, city girl problems!) So you'd have to drive the hour to Las Cruces which seems nice too, just a lot more packed. I prefer the slow pace. Good luck whatever you decide and I also fell in love with the beautiful state of New Mexico! Keep us posted on your decision!

Oh, also..I like that White Sands is also right next to Alamogordo, it's a beautiful place.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeshee1 View Post
I've been to Alamogordo twice... LONG story short, my fiance's parents have a house in La Luz (which is basically right there) and they've offered it to us to live in since they moved to WA state. I have lived in the Norfolk/Hampton Roads, Virginia area my whole life and it's getting WAY too overcrowded, crime is getting horrible here, it's humid as heck and it's just time for us to go. When I've visited, I make it a point to visit Cloudcroft which is right up the road from Alamo. It's heaven. Living by the beach all your life will give you a new appreciation for the mountains to be sure.

My point is if you're looking for a smaller town with enough shopping, etc to keep you sustained, Alamogordo is good. There's a nicely renovated/newer grocery store there called Lowe's that was really cool (nice bakery, nice deli, etc). They also have a cool little coffee shop there called Plateau Espresso which was awesome. I do not know how to compare it to Texas, but I do enjoy the smaller size (36K people compared to 2 million where I live? I'll take it!) and people seem generally pretty friendly. I also went to Sante Fe and fell in LOVE, but there's no way I could afford to live there. I would say if you like a slow pace, Otero County/Alamogordo seems to be a nice choice. My main problems is that they don't have a Target (I Know, city girl problems!) So you'd have to drive the hour to Las Cruces which seems nice too, just a lot more packed. I prefer the slow pace. Good luck whatever you decide and I also fell in love with the beautiful state of New Mexico! Keep us posted on your decision!

Oh, also..I like that White Sands is also right next to Alamogordo, it's a beautiful place.
Thanks very much meeshee.Will do.I also like the White Sands.I really appreciate it

Old 10-16-2016, 05:14 PM

Following your thread to see where you decide. Wishing you the best!

Old 10-16-2016, 05:51 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
I've been to Alamogordo twice... LONG story short, my fiance's parents have a house in La Luz (which is basically right there) and they've offered it to us to live in since they moved to WA state.
Mind sharing why the in-laws chose to move? Wondering if they conveyed anything of the character of the community to you?

I've always heard that La Luz is a very close-knit community that isn't very accommodating to outsiders/newcomers. Hope you'll keep posting here as your move becomes reality. Wishing the best of experiences for you!

Old 10-16-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Mind sharing why the in-laws chose to move? Wondering if they conveyed anything of the character of the community to you?

I've always heard that La Luz is a very close-knit community that isn't very accommodating to outsiders/newcomers. Hope you'll keep posting here as your move becomes reality. Wishing the best of experiences for you!
His father got older and had two strokes, he is diabetic, and has a few hip issues. It became too much for his mother to handle on her own, so they moved in with his sister and her husband (he works for Microsoft and they have a big house) in Seattle. They LOVED living there, and still miss it a lot. They'd rather be in NM than in WA state. But alas, his father is just too frail to be out there now. They decided the house was special to the family and my fiance loves it there, so they'd rather pass it down to him than sell it. We are grateful for that!

La Luz is very small but I am not sure about how accommodating they are. The thing is, most shopping, etc is in Alamogordo anyway. The neighbor in La Luz is a Vietnam Veteran and a very nice guy. He is happy to have us move there, so I think we will be OK I did stop at the post office before we left in La Luz and the clerk was very nice. I know La Luz is tiny so I can imagine they're a little weird about newcomers. We will see!

Old 10-17-2016, 08:17 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
La Luz is very small but I am not sure about how accommodating they are.
Thank you for the explanation. I'm happy to hear that the in-laws have positive memories of La Luz. I used the word "accommodating" when it might have been better to use "accepting." I hasten to mention that I can't recall having ever met someone who actually lives within the village of La Luz. My information is based on m-a-n-y years of personal familiarity with the area and things have, of course, changed a lot over time. Biggest change for La Luz is the encroachment of surrounding neighborhoods to the point where it is now almost a suburb of Alamogordo. The village itself hasn't changed that much and still invokes traditional small village New Mexico. I think of Tularosa in similarly.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:01 PM

1,951 posts, read 2,298,854 times
How do you start an oli company ?

Old 10-17-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Thank you for the explanation. I'm happy to hear that the in-laws have positive memories of La Luz. I used the word "accommodating" when it might have been better to use "accepting." I hasten to mention that I can't recall having ever met someone who actually lives within the village of La Luz. My information is based on m-a-n-y years of personal familiarity with the area and things have, of course, changed a lot over time. Biggest change for La Luz is the encroachment of surrounding neighborhoods to the point where it is now almost a suburb of Alamogordo. The village itself hasn't changed that much and still invokes traditional small village New Mexico. I think of Tularosa in similarly.
Their house is in La Luz Canyon, which is at the top of one of the mountains, it's a long winding road to the top at about 5,000 feet elevation. When I go through La Luz it feels like it only lasts about two minutes, and I have a hard time distinguishing between La Luz and Alamo! hahah they definitely blend together. The house was built in the late 80's or maybe early 90's? I love the little section with the old Spanish church and their itty bitty park, it's a charming New Mexican town

Old 10-18-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
How do you start an oli company ?
Get a landman who leases some land from a farmer or rancher with a sightdraft.Once the lease is signed you have 90-180 days to flip the lease to a exploration and production company for more than it was leased from the rancher for.Additionally, the exploration and and production company would give me up to 12.5 percent of every well on that lease.Thats my business plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico