Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:36 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casperpeyton View Post
We would love to find somewhere laid back, liberal with a sense of community, but that doesnt mind an individual at the same time.
You looking for a small town or something bigger? If small is it, you certainly need to check out Silver City... and while you are at it, Bisbee AZ. Both of these are in the 10,000 pop range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 10:34 PM

203 posts, read 714,308 times
Las Vegas is beautiful: Hermit's Peak, Johnson Mesa, The Creston of the Pecos Wilderness form our western backdrop, to the east is the short-grass plains and canyon lands of the Canadian River Basin. However, the place ain't for everybody... You must be self entertaining for one thing. Though the area offers year-round outdoor recreation, Las Vegas, NM offers very little nightlife or indoor recreation options.

On the plus side, Santa Fe is within easy driving distance. One can live in LV, see the Milky Way at night and live small town low stress but still access the social options of SF.

If you are single and in your 20s, looking for laid-back liberal community in NM, you might look first at Santa Fe and Taos, then look at outlying communities such as Las Vegas. I assume "liberal" is key- if so, stick to North Central NM. Southern and Eastern NM are heavily dependent on extractive industries (petroleum, mineral mining) and large scale agriculture... probably too conservative. The NW and west areas are simply too culturally complex for novices. Silver City might be tough for someone post-college 20s who does not have definite plans and goals, but check it out.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I was checking prices on a website and looked at Las Vegas, NM. Several houses in the $100 to 200 k range. Just for grins I went to the highest price listed. I found an absolutely stunning ranch (ranchette because it was only 135 acres) for sale with a huge western style house and other buildings for a meer $2 million or so in Rociada area. Now to win the lottery.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:27 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Cathy4017, between whining about the heat down South, informed:

> ... Hermit's Peak...and also ... the Sangre de Cristo mts..!

You can see snowcapped peaks all the way South driving from Raton to Las Vegas on I-25.
The Sangre de Cristo Mountains are the Southernmost end of what's considered the Rocky Mountains.

The Central Mountain Chain of the Sandias to the Organs are not part of the Rockies.

I've always wanted to hike Hermit's Peak. It tops 10,000 feet and has a very flat and expansive top that's probably all Aspen forest and open meadow.

GregW needs:

> ... $2 million or so in Rociada area. Now to win the lottery.

Yeah, but you can do math, so are not likely to be contributing to that voluntary tax, I assume.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:47 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Not likely, Mortimer, not likely at all. That is why they call it a lottery.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:53 AM

215 posts, read 840,018 times
Casperpeyton, have you seen this list of hippie havens?

Old 06-11-2008, 12:12 PM

775 posts, read 2,588,192 times
Default New Mexico Tip on Moving here

Rent or Rent to Own in the Center of N.M. and explore the whole state before buying anything permanent. If you like Santa Fe and Albuquerque they are located 300 miles from most of Southwestern N.M. My Preference in N.M. is the East Mountain area i love the small towns in that area and lots of Friendly people and a Country way of Living with lots of places to hike and lots of Activities in the Summer Check out Moriarty. Also check out the two newspapers in that area. The East Mountain Telegraph and the Independent. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 06-11-2008, 05:16 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Greg W and Pintada are right. In the cities 25,000 and up, stay a few days to get a feel for the community. Go through all the New Mexico threads through c-d beginnings. You'll see good and not so good opinions on the towns and cities, but they are just that-opinions. I lived in NM in the early 80's and things have changed a lot, but one4 thing hasn't- friendly people. Take in the National Parks and monuments, they are all over the state and I believe there are more of those in NM than any other state. Like rugged mountain country? Take I-25 south, then 60 west then hwy. 12 to Silver City. Like cave exploration? Carlsbad Caverns is the 2nd Big Cahuna in the National Park System just behind the Grand Canyon. Want to see a cool downtown with old west history? Las Vegas. Like big flea markets? Albuquerque Flea Market will suit you fine-it's huge! Central and Louisiana. Like a lot of people said on this forum from time to time, there's something about this place that makes it, well, enchanting.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,209 times
Ruidoso, hands down. You have the beautiful mountains, low to no humidity, except in the rainy summer monsoon season, but a general all around 4-season climate with absolutely breathtaking scenery. I lived there for six years and absolutely loved it. Good luck with your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico