Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 06:51 PM

57 posts, read 143,989 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about attending college here, mainly because I want to get away from things at home, and also because my family thinks they can control what I do with my future, and they WILL NOT! (They want me to stay at home and be miserable with the rest of them)

Sorry for the rant, but what are some good colleges in NM? I was looking at attending a junior college first. I saw one in Hobbs that interested me, but is it safe in Hobbs? I was looking through the forum and some people had some not so nice things to say about the city.

I'm 18, male, and not much of a social person.

I'll add more info if required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 05:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
Moving away from home adds a lot to the cost of college. I recommend you stay at home for the first two years and attend a local state supported Jr. College. You can effectively ignore you family by studying. Families become less depressing if you are studying instead of whining along with them. In fact how to study and compose essays and reports will be the most important things you learn in Jr. College. I strongly suggest working hard to develop these skills. In the real world if you cannot tell your employer in comprehensible English what you have been doing they stop paying you.

After the first two years you will know more about what you want to study and can transfer (make certain the jr college course credits are transferable) to some other school away from the family.

AFAK - The University of New Mexico in Albuquerque is an excellent school. Find a website that discusses the school and read skeptically. New Mexico Tech in Socorro is one of the best technical and environmental schools on the planet.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 8,117 times
Well, what would you like to go to college for?

Old 12-19-2009, 05:44 PM

57 posts, read 143,989 times
Something in either the medical field, or educational field.

I'll be happy enough just working in an ambulance, or a playground instuctor

Old 12-20-2009, 12:06 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,087,584 times
If you are only 18, just move and live frugally.
If it's not for you, move again.

One of the things that going to college and living frugally
can teach you is how to live frugally. That's much more
valuable than the degree in some cases.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:37 PM

331 posts, read 499,013 times
Which school in Hobbs, USW (formerly CSW), or NMJC? Both are alright schools; CSW is in a state of growth and change right now. Hobbs is a pretty good town, although some could see it as rather overpriced as far as rent and real estate goes right now. You might check out Lovington or maybe Eunice, NM, as cheaper alternatives in the area (both are between 15-20 minutes away). Don't get me wrong, it's a nice area, but the real estate and rent are just overblown right now.

Good luck!

Old 12-22-2009, 07:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpurpleblack View Post
I'm thinking about attending college here, mainly because I want to get away from things at home, and also because my family thinks they can control what I do with my future, and they WILL NOT! (They want me to stay at home and be miserable with the rest of them)

Sorry for the rant, but what are some good colleges in NM? I was looking at attending a junior college first. I saw one in Hobbs that interested me, but is it safe in Hobbs? I was looking through the forum and some people had some not so nice things to say about the city.

I'm 18, male, and not much of a social person.

I'll add more info if required.
Who will be paying for your education? Remember, if you move out of the state you will have out of state fees as well as everything else related to college. I don't know what type of enviorment you are thinking of, but Hobbs is a very small town. Is this what you want? It is perfect for some, not so for others. What about weather, do you like sunshine or are you a skiier? You need to think about all the things that do and do not make you happy.

I know living at home can to a pain at 18. But you may want to, at least, spend one year in community college and live at home. Then make a move.

Nita

Old 12-22-2009, 07:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpurpleblack View Post
Something in either the medical field, or educational field.

I'll be happy enough just working in an ambulance, or a playground instuctor
Those are 2 very different fields. I think you might be better off taking a couple of classes in career planning as well as just getting some of your basic requirements out of the way, then maybe you will have a better idea what is best for you.

Nita

Old 12-25-2009, 11:51 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,477,189 times
If you want to start out at a community college, I would recommend Las Cruces. Dona Ana Community College is on the same campus as New Mexico State and a lot of people transfer. They make it easy to transfer from what I've heard, but I wouldn't know because I went straight to NMSU.

I know what you mean about getting away from home. I went to high school in Massachusetts and there was no way I was staying for college. My parents tried to get me to stay at first but eventually accepted the fact that it wouldn't happen (maybe your family will be the same way?).

Old 12-29-2009, 03:31 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,099,246 times
Eastern New Mexico University in Portales is pretty affordable as far as 4 year schools go... It's not a junior college, but it's still small enough that you don't get completely swamped or what not. Although, it's in Eastern New Mexico, which is lonely and isolated in a way. There's Highlands University in Las Vegas, I think. University of New Mexico in Albuquerque and New Mexico State in Las Cruces are the two big schools. There's community colleges in most of the larger towns... Albuquerque has Central New Mexico, Clovis has Clovis Community, Farmington has San Juan Community I think... Mesalands in Tucumcari. Get online and look up all the colleges in the state you can and see if any appeal to you. Apply quick, though. Deadlines are approaching!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico