Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2023, 04:37 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I'm sharing observations, not making an argument.

As the old saying goes: "Poor New Mexico, so far from God, so close to Texas."

But obviously all those Texans visiting are contributing to NM's economy. I don't know any New Mexicans who take vacations in Texas unless they have family there.
When I lived in NM I pondered doing road trips to Texas but I eventually came up short on ideas to merit such long drives. The primary points of interest in Texas are either along I-35 or east of it and that distance requires flying or a whole day's drive. A few weekends in El Paso here or there, but that wore out fast and no point in driving out to Amarillo or Lubbock. When comparing other places in the Southwest or Rockies that were accessible from ABQ by road trip, why make such a long trek out to Dallas or San Antonio? West Texas has some nice desert landscapes but nothing that NM didn't already have or do better. There's a big gulf in between NM and worthwhile attractions in Texas that are worth driving to. And if flying out of ABQ, might as well go beyond Texas to somewhere more interesting.

Now that NM has pot dispensaries, I can only imagine those parking lots being full of tourists from Texas and Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 05:35 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Couldn't pay me to live io Texas, anywhere. Maybe Austin, but it's too crowded and expensive nowadays. .
Too hot! HOT HOT HOT! Even Texans flee in the summer, for NM mountain towns and other cooler climes.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:05 AM

5,028 posts, read 7,409,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
When I lived in NM I pondered doing road trips to Texas but I eventually came up short on ideas to merit such long drives. The primary points of interest in Texas are either along I-35 or east of it and that distance requires flying or a whole day's drive. A few weekends in El Paso here or there, but that wore out fast and no point in driving out to Amarillo or Lubbock. When comparing other places in the Southwest or Rockies that were accessible from ABQ by road trip, why make such a long trek out to Dallas or San Antonio? West Texas has some nice desert landscapes but nothing that NM didn't already have or do better. There's a big gulf in between NM and worthwhile attractions in Texas that are worth driving to. And if flying out of ABQ, might as well go beyond Texas to somewhere more interesting.

Now that NM has pot dispensaries, I can only imagine those parking lots being full of tourists from Texas and Oklahoma.
Fares on Southwest to Texas cities used to be really cheap. The drive through eastern NM and west TX is really trying. I had to take two days each way between Albuquerque and Austin. It feels like you'll never get there and you hope for an alien abduction to rescue you from the monotony of it.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:09 AM

11,023 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Yes, I've done I-10, I-20 and I-40 across Texas from New Mexico. I-20 is extremely rutted in the slow lane, and when I drove it 2-1/2 yrs ago the fast lane had no shoulder, only a concrete divider. Sometimes I think Texans have long bragged because they are compensating. Being from California, to me there is simply no comparison. Californians never needed to brag about their flora, fauna, terrain or weather.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:30 AM

980 posts, read 539,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post

Amarillo is close to some of the best canyons and camping in West Texas off of I-40. There are also a lot of beautiful areas off of I-10 in west Texas between the NM border and Marfa.

Old 06-21-2023, 10:30 AM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
Amarillo is close to some of the best canyons and camping in West Texas off of I-40. There are also a lot of beautiful areas off of I-10 in west Texas between the NM border and Marfa.
On the Texas border south of Carlsbad NM, there are the Guadalupe Mountains (a newer '70s national park) that is adjacent to the Lincoln National Forest in New Mexico. Guadalupe Peak soars a whopping 8749 ft above sea level for the highest point in Texas. It is most impressive from the Texas side but there are some pristine wilderness areas in the high backcountry. This is a part of the ancient Capitan Reef at the edge of an inland sea that is all that flat and boring land you see stretching off to the east. It isn't quite as boring if you think of it as a seabed 265 million years ago. I think it has some geologic interest and some recreational assets, but most people don't seem to know about it. Carlsbad Caverns is located in the same reef formation. This photo was taken from Carlsbad Caverns. The flat terrain represents the ancient seafloor with Guadalupe Mtns in the distance. It is about 65 miles north of I-10 at Van Horn, TX.

Old 06-21-2023, 12:06 PM

980 posts, read 539,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
On the Texas border south of Carlsbad NM, there are the Guadalupe Mountains (a newer '70s national park) that is adjacent to the Lincoln National Forest in New Mexico. Guadalupe Peak soars a whopping 8749 ft above sea level for the highest point in Texas. It is most impressive from the Texas side but there are some pristine wilderness areas in the high backcountry. This is a part of the ancient Capitan Reef at the edge of an inland sea that is all that flat and boring land you see stretching off to the east. It isn't quite as boring if you think of it as a seabed 265 million years ago. I think it has some geologic interest and some recreational assets, but most people don't seem to know about it. Carlsbad Caverns is located in the same reef formation. This photo was taken from Carlsbad Caverns. The flat terrain represents the ancient seafloor with Guadalupe Mtns in the distance. It is about 65 miles north of I-10 at Van Horn, TX.
A lot of people think New Mexico and Texas are boring because they never get off the highway and actually look at the sites.

Old 06-21-2023, 01:04 PM

11,023 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Yes, I've done I-10, I-20 and I-40 across Texas from New Mexico. I-20 is extremely rutted in the slow lane, and when I drove it 2-1/2 yrs ago the fast lane had no shoulder, only a concrete divider. Sometimes I think Texans have long bragged because they are compensating. Being from California, to me there is simply no comparison. Californians never needed to brag about their flora, fauna, terrain or weather.
I'll add to what I said earlier that there are places in Texas I would live now that I think about it. I like San Antonio. I know I would probably like Austin and when I drove through Tyler,Texas I really liked the area. So Texas to me isn't a total wash.

Old 06-28-2023, 11:20 AM

429 posts, read 1,477,283 times
OP - Depends on if you are talking for tourism or jobs... Jobs are not plentiful in NM and NM isn't as business friendly as other states, unfortunately. But oh, the culture and the beauty of the state cannot be rivaled. (if you love high desert and mountains).

Old 08-14-2023, 11:17 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasSoggyInSeattle View Post
OP - Depends on if you are talking for tourism or jobs... Jobs are not plentiful in NM and NM isn't as business friendly as other states, unfortunately. But oh, the culture and the beauty of the state cannot be rivaled. (if you love high desert and mountains).
It does look pretty. Maybe I'll visit someday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico