Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:25 PM

24 posts, read 77,612 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I am new here. I reside in Pakistan and will attending New Mexico Highlands Univeristy starting this fall. I'll be flying to SFO first where I'll be spending a couple of weeks. I want to that how should I get to Las Vegas, NM from there ? Should I fly to ABQ and then take a train to LV. I don't know anyone in ABQ so I will like to go to LV directly from the airport.
How long does it take to get to LV from ABQ via train ? Or should I hire a cab ? Which option is more convinient or cheaper ? Please help me out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 12:39 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,338 times
Check the Amtrak website. It takes about 3 hours to get to Las Vegas from Albuquerque. Cost is $28 right now. That is way cheaper than a cab would be, if you could get one to take you. Train leaves Albuquerque daily at 12:55 pm.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:46 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink A few ideas

Amtrak's web site gave me nothing but grief, but you may have better luck. You may have to talk with one of them on the phone.

Seems like Amtrak would be a good choice to reach Las Vegas, NM from Albuquerque, NM. Probably nicer than a bus, and a lot less expensive than any taxi. You will discover however that American trains are nowhere as fine as those of Europe.

I was trying to check because I believe they still offer passenger service from the west coast to such destinations as Denver, CO and Albuquerque. Not sure about prices, and if you acquire cheap airfare flying to Albuquerque from SFO might even be less costly. But if new to this country a journey across the American West might be interesting. From SFO Amtrak might bus you across the bay to depart on a train from Oakland, CA. One possible route might be south to Los Angeles, CA and thence east paralleling I-40 to Albuquerque and then Las Vegas. Another possible route, which in some respects more scenic, would be more or less due east from Oakland to cross the Sierra Nevada mountains of California, paralleling I-80 across Nevada into Utah. From Salt Lake City, UT the route might continue due east into Colorado to cross the Rocky Mountains into Denver, CO. And then from there south towards Albuquerque. But I don't know what Amtrak is up to these days, so best check carefully to determine exactly what they do offer.

In you have the means and are adventurous enough you might wish to drive to Las Vegas, NM from the west coast instead. Check ahead for required documents to rent a car, and if the price anything you can afford. It could be, possibly, a good rate from SFO to Albuquerque one way, but prohibitive into Las Vegas, so maybe the train from ABQ, but I don't know. For certain though that such an option will give you a lot more flexibility in time and sight seeing than any airplane, bus or train ever will. You might visit all sorts of great places on such a trip. Among quite a few, you might, for instance, drive to the incredibly beautiful Lake Tahoe, CA/NV, thence across the unique emptiness of US 50 across Nevada into Utah. If creative you might include such places in your itinerary as Zion National Park in the southwest corner of Utah. Absolutely spectacular. Something you would never forget. And if a bit of an adventurer you might swing past such places as the Grand Canyon. Anyway, if the slightest interest and means you might seriously wish to consider such a option.

You may find your way there anyway, but while in Las Vegas, NM you're very close to Montezuma, NM and the fascinating campus of The United World College:
United World College-USA

The setting and some of the buildings vaguely remind me of Hogwarts College of Harry Potter fame. Not what they practice there, I'm sure. But it seems an interesting curriculum and very progressive place.

And very close to there, very close to the road, is a natural hot spring that the locals favor. Not at all sure if you are in to such things, but should you venture up towards Montezuma the world may open up to you in new and interesting ways.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:54 PM

212 posts, read 689,241 times
Hiya,

Since you're a student, I think your best bet would be one of two options:

Fly in to Albuquerque then take the Amtrak from Albuquerque straight to Las Vegas.

OR

Cut out Albuquerque altogether and just take the Amtrak from San Fran straight to Las Vegas.

Whatever you do, I hope it all works out for you. Maybe I'll see you around campus.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallit View Post
Hiya,

Since you're a student, I think your best bet would be one of two options:

Fly in to Albuquerque then take the Amtrak from Albuquerque straight to Las Vegas.

OR

Cut out Albuquerque altogether and just take the Amtrak from San Fran straight to Las Vegas.

Whatever you do, I hope it all works out for you. Maybe I'll see you around campus.
And how long is that gonna take ?

The thing is that I've never been to New Mexico. Sure I've visited USA a few time before but most of my time has spent on the east coast. I've only briefly visited Calif & Nevada once.

Also I heard that there is no cab service in Las Vegas ? Is that rite ? So how am I supposed to get to the campus from the train station ?

Old 07-18-2008, 05:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Las Vegas New Mexico is small enough that you could walk from the train station to the college. I don't believe that there are no taxis in Las Vegas but there might be only a couple. I suggest looking up this small city on this website to get an idea of what you have gotten your self into.

If I had the time I would take AMTRAK all the way from San Francisco to New Mexico. It would be a spectacular trip and give you the chance to meet some of us on the way.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:46 AM

382 posts, read 1,227,732 times
Amtrak does not have a direct route from SF to LVNM. Nor is there easy access from SFO to SJC, the closest Amtrak link. If he chooses to take the train all the way to NM, he needs to catch the Caltrain shuttle at SFO. Take the Caltrain south to SJC. From SJC, take the Amtrak Coast Starlight to LAX (Union Station.) Transfer to the Southwest Chief. Take it to LVNM. Plan on two days. Depending on the amount of baggage, this might be a pain. On the other hand, the Coast Starlight is a great trip; sit on the right side of the train going south to get the best ocean views.

Easier, spend the same dollars on a SWA flight from SFO to ABQ, and then catch the Amtrak to LVNM. The train station is not quite in walking distance to Highlands, but there was a taxi last time I took it. It was about $7 to the Plaza Hotel where we stayed, which is just around the corner from Highlands.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedinNM View Post
Amtrak does not have a direct route from SF to LVNM. Nor is there easy access from SFO to SJC, the closest Amtrak link. If he chooses to take the train all the way to NM, he needs to catch the Caltrain shuttle at SFO. Take the Caltrain south to SJC. From SJC, take the Amtrak Coast Starlight to LAX (Union Station.) Transfer to the Southwest Chief. Take it to LVNM. Plan on two days. Depending on the amount of baggage, this might be a pain. On the other hand, the Coast Starlight is a great trip; sit on the right side of the train going south to get the best ocean views.

Easier, spend the same dollars on a SWA flight from SFO to ABQ, and then catch the Amtrak to LVNM. The train station is not quite in walking distance to Highlands, but there was a taxi last time I took it. It was about $7 to the Plaza Hotel where we stayed, which is just around the corner from Highlands.
Yeah that's what I would ideally do but the thing is that there is only one train slot at 12.55 p.m. daily for LVNM from ABQ. And none of the flights would get me there in time for the train. This is causing real problems now with regards to planning the journey. I can stay at a hotel for the nite.. but am only 18.. and have never been in ABQ before and hear that the crime rate there is really high. Any suggestions people ?

Old 07-19-2008, 09:06 AM

212 posts, read 689,241 times
I was born and raised in ABQ, lived in various areas of the city, and never once had any problems with crime. I'm not going to say there isn't any crime at all (every place has its criminals), but I think you should be fine. As far as suggestions, just the typical common sense things: Be aware of your surroundings, don't go wandering aimlessly at night, so on and so forth.

Also, you probably already know this, but be sure to leave your family the complete details of your itinerary, i.e. times of arrivals/departures, the name and number of the hotel you will be in, and all that good stuff.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:22 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
My advice:

Avoid the SFO airport for interstate travel, and take BART to Oakland airport.

Not only do you get numerous more choices for flight times, but you can also get nonstop flights. Personally, I'd rather spend an extra hour sightseeing on a train on the ground than in an airport terminal. Of course, Oakland airport's security lines are about the worst (in terms of wait time and layout) I've ever experienced or heard of, but provided you're not going through at rush hour, should be fine.

Southwest flight 1952 is a nonstop from Oakland to ABQ and drops you in about 1020am. Should be plenty of time to make your Amtrak train that way, if you choose.

I've always thought that the Greyhound bus system was far better than Amtrak in terms of value. I was shocked to discover that Greyhound doesn't stop in Las Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico