Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 04:41 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times

Advertisements

Anyone else had a problem with this?
I've been to the clinic in Cloudcroft twice to get blood taken for cholestorol check and they cannot get blood from me.
The first time, I was told that I probably didn't drink enough liquids and I'm too dehydrated to get a vein. My reply was that I've had my blood taken before and have never had a problem and that I'm not dehydrated.
Today, same thing, they couldn't get a vein from me.
The reasons today was because it's hard to get blood from someone in high altitude and also because I'm a redhead. I laughed at the redhead one but apparently, if one has fair skin, it makes it even more difficult.
I'm just wondering out of curiousity if any of you all have had problems getting your blood taken being in high altitude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 04:44 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
I can let you know in a couple of months when its time for me to have bloodwork done.
Do you drink water while you are fasting? I always drink a glass of water as soon as I get up to help keep the veins "open", so to speak.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:56 PM

Yep, I usually drink plenty of water and liquids.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:34 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,779 times
Exclamation BS on the can't draw u....

I was a Paramedic and Phlebotimist for over 25 years.
I have had some tough "sticks" but that is crap...sure if you are dehydrated it makes it a little harder , but I have had major trauma pt's and got a line in every time...

Better go to Alamorgordo or? where someone knows what the H...they are doing.

My wife was told she was a "tough" stick and I go in with her each time and show them how to draw her...

HW...retired FF/Paramedic.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:15 AM

Hunter Wold, they need you in Cloudcroft. Nobody has ever had problems getting blood from me.
I was told to go to Alamogordo to the hospital next time I'm down there and get it done.
Like I'm supposed to know exactly when I'm going so I can make an appt. It takes an hour and a half to get there and I'm not allowed to eat or drink the liquids of my choice. Only water and black coffee. I don't do black coffee and I want something other than water. I get grumpy if I miss my smoothie in the mornings.
I just thought it was strange about the redhead comment and I wouldn't think high altitude would make a difference.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:28 PM

Oh and another thing you all might find interesting.
The main reason I went to Cloudcroft other than having bloodwork done was to have my annual womans exam and they ask all kinds of questions.
One of the questions was, 'have you lost or gained weight recently?' and my answer was that I have lost some weight.
I was told that being in high altitude raises metabolism and people seem to lose weight.
Hope that's true. Yea!!! for high altitude. I've lost about 20 pounds in the 4 months I've been here. Another ton, and I'll be at my ideal weight.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:31 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
I haven't donated at 8800 feet, like you have in Cloudcroft, but in LC I donate every 2 months, at 3900 feet, and feel no different than I did when I donated at sea level (New Jersey).

Old 10-16-2008, 04:01 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I was told that being in high altitude raises metabolism and people seem to lose weight.
Hope that's true. Yea!!! for high altitude. I've lost about 20 pounds in the 4 months I've been here. Another ton, and I'll be at my ideal weight.
Hmmm, wish I would lose some! Must be all the good food I am finding to eat out here.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:49 PM

Fortunately, Timberon has only a lounge and the food isn't really all that great so I'm lucky in that respect. When I lived in Texas, that's another story. I put on extra weight just staying with my brother for 2 months.
I'm happy just to cook my own food. I'll mention Chilegal is a really good cook.
Anyway, I'm happy that I have lost weight.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:11 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,779 times
Talking re the high altitude (atitide) re blood draw/weight loss...

Hell yes...I have lost 30 lbs since Feb at 7100 ft here in Fence Lake...
However..I have been working my a...off....building a log home...and all the work that goes with it..working 12 hr. days etc.

I guess that is why at this high altitude I have lost weight.
Hmm...wonder what I would weigh if we were building at about 500 ft or soo..

Again...I am not one to brag etc...but...I was very good at blood draws etc.

I remember one where the pt. was a diabetic and "no one" could draw her..I got a nice 20ga IV started in her Thumb...I believe that a 20 ga. is a ok needle to work with, anything smaller can "lyce(sp)" the blood...

Oh, Hot packs work great on some folks also...ask for a "hot pak"...

and of course you do need to be resonably hydrated.

Ok for now..

Hunter Wold...retired FF/Paramedic/+++ and Happy trails..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico