Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 06:50 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,628,085 times

Advertisements

I'm watching the news about Northern NM getting snow and ice and also other parts of the country like Minnesota was at minus 40 with the wind chill factor up there earlier today and the Northeast USA which is dealing with an Ice Storm with power still out for 500,000 poor folks up there dealing with the terrible weather.

Here in Southern NM it's was in the high 50's today and mainly sunny and the weatherman out of the local El Paso tv news says we'll be in the 60's all week with possuibly a little bit of rain .

So while our summers usually are hot .....our winters are mild here for you northern states retirees out there looking to relocate so come on down to Southern NM and enjoy the mild winters here (Knock on wood ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 06:53 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,029,479 times
Hey some of us think all the snow in northern New Mexico IS great winter weather!

Old 12-15-2008, 08:04 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I'm watching the news about Northern NM getting snow and ice and also other parts of the country like Minnesota was at minus 40 with the wind chill factor up there earlier today and the Northeast USA which is dealing with an Ice Storm with power still out for 500,000 poor folks up there dealing with the terrible weather.

Here in Southern NM it's was in the high 50's today and mainly sunny and the weatherman out of the local El Paso tv news says we'll be in the 60's all week with possuibly a little bit of rain .

So while our summers usually are hot .....our winters are mild here for you northern states retirees out there looking to relocate so come on down to Southern NM and enjoy the mild winters here (Knock on wood ).
What winter...? I am in the wrong area, LOL!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:18 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
Quote:

Sounds great to me. Here in North Central Texas, it's 25 degrees with freezing rain. I can deal quite well with a hot summer if it isn't humid.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
What winter...? I am in the wrong area, LOL!!!
LOL.....Yeap after 13 years of living up north freezing every winter i'm loving the ''so far so good'' mild winter weather down here as i have only wore a sweatshirt and not a jacket . It's been so nice that i have rarely run my heater (electric bill) and not have had my lips and fingers all dry and cracked....lol....

Although not alot of snow up there for you cathy and i wish they would get more for you the tourism industry up there i did see on the local EP news last nite a report showing people sking at Ski Apache .

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 12-16-2008 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: Corrections/ 6/3

Old 12-16-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Sounds great to me. Here in North Central Texas, it's 25 degrees with freezing rain. I can deal quite well with a hot summer if it isn't humid.
Sorry to hear the cold temps Catman . I was watching the weather on the news last night and they were talking about some places in Minnesota that were ''minus 43 degrees'' with the wind chill as that's just crazy......

Stay safe and warm Catman as they were showing cars that ran off the freeways into ditches in albuquerque yesturday and i know that Oklahoma and North Central Texas can get those ''ice storms''.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:46 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,886 times
Here in MD the temps are o.k. for now. It actually hit the 60's yesterday, although it's supposed to get a lot colder in the days ahead. But we sure are missing the sunshine out there. In the words of EnjoyEP, I would gladly "lop of a finger or two" to spend the rest of this winter in Alamo or LC. Well, almost...maybe I'd give up a fingernail.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:26 AM

185 posts, read 488,879 times
Default Brrrrr....

Actually -14F this morning around St. Paul, with -35 about 3 hours north (Embarrass). Black ice all over the highways, wrecks like crazy. Mostly idiots with 4WD pickups. House making all kinds of bangs and creaks with thermal contraction. Have had 48 hours now below zero and sick of breaking ice out of water buckets, and it's not even Christmas yet! Was reading the Ruidoso news last evening, showed people in shirt sleeves and snow on the SB. Sigh...Someday....

Hey, what is the normal design frost line in Central NM? Something like 24"? We're at 7' here and a common problem (especially if we don't get a lot of snow) is septic systems freezing.

But my kids are coming from San Jose this weekend bringing back their skates for some quality hockey. We'll have a few hot toddies, put another log on the fire, and enjoy an old fashioned Christmas. So I guess balance to everything!

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:29 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
Quote:
LOL.....Yeap after 13 years of living up north freezing every winter i'm loving the ''so far so good'' mild winter weather down here as i have only wore a sweatshirt and not a jacket . It's been so nice that i have rarely run my heater (electric bill) and not have had my lips and fingers all dry and cracked....lol....

Although not alot of snow up there for you cathy and i wish they would get more for you the tourism industry up there i did see on the local EP news last nite a report showing people sking at Ski Apache .
Well....DO enjoy, LOL!! The cam does show people skiing at SkiApache, but there really isn't enough cover for me to make it worthwhile for $50/ticket!

It just isn't cold here. But at least it's not summer, so I count my blessings, even though I've got my tomato crop planned for the season, LOL!!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:52 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,029,479 times
Cahty, I would invite you up here for a few days, but the way the weather goes in NM, all of our snow could be melted in a day or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico