Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 03:04 PM

8 posts, read 28,149 times

Advertisements

I found this webiste all on scorpion conservation, thought I would show it to you all since New Mexico is very rich in scorpion species.

Interesting stuff...also has useful information in regards to venom and stings Hope you all enjoy!

Scorpion Conservation 101 - Home (http://scorpionconservation101.weebly.com - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 03:23 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
nice. i like it.

i'm going to repost your link, though.

Scorpion Conservation 101 - Home (http://scorpionconservation101.weebly.com/ - broken link)

Old 04-23-2009, 03:28 PM

Thanks I was not sure how to do the links properly. HTML can be confusing at times.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:54 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,748,790 times
I got stung by one two years ago at a B&B in Panama. Like a total freaking idjit
I walked barefoot out on the balcony at 3am in the dark. WHACK!! I got smacked
on top of the next-to-last toe on my right foot. I knew instantly what had happened
and bolted inside and turned on the light.

There was a small hole on the top of the toe that oozed a small amount of blood
but no major damage. Over the next hour it became a bit swollen and started
to feel "odd". Not really numb, not really painful, but something that kind of
sensation you get when you've had novocaine at the dentist and it's almost
worn off.

The small amount of swelling went down by morning, it felt odd for another day,
and the puncture wound healed normally.

Aside from a strange desire to prowl after midnight and drink blood, there were
no lasting effects..

Old 04-23-2009, 06:24 PM

54 posts, read 200,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reasontobe View Post
Thanks I was not sure how to do the links properly. HTML can be confusing at times.
I know! I was doing it the hard way until I realized that you can just copy/paste the actual URL from the website address (the actual "http://etc.." part in your browser) and it makes that neat link with the keywords already in it, like uggabugga posted.

From the website under the "exploitation" section:

Quote:
Vodka, containing dead scorpions, is a popular drink throughout the world and this market represents another sector in which scorpions are killed and exploitated for monetary value.
I've never seen this! I've heard of the worm in the tequila, but never the scorpion in the Vodka.

I also was pretty appalled at the "scorpion on a stick", being stalked while still live.

My scorpion story:

I was about 8 years old and found a scorpion under my rocking chair in my bedroom! I stared at it for a long time, wondering if it was alive. Then it moved. I tore out of my room screaming and told my dad, who was watching football, that there was a scorpion in my room! He didn't believe me.

I went back to my room. I stared for a little longer. Then I went back out and insisted as scorpion was under my rocking chair! I don't remember how many back and forths we had, but eventually he got up out of his chair, none-too-happy, and comes back to my room. Yup, it's a scorpion! I'll never forget his reaction: totally shocked I was right and told me "good girl"!

Old 04-23-2009, 06:47 PM

I agree that the scorpion on a stick that are stalked while still alive is pretty appalling!

Old 04-23-2009, 08:36 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
... the puncture wound healed normally.

Aside from a strange desire to prowl after midnight and drink blood, there were no lasting effects..
And a compulsion to make weird posts at C-D?

I'm glad your experience wasn't too painful.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reasontobe View Post
I agree that the scorpion on a stick that are stalked while still alive is pretty appalling!
That gives the SOS a whole new meaning. (Referring to an army breakfast, I think, although I never served in the military.)

SOS is **** on a shingle.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:10 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
Lovehound mentioned:

> Originally Posted by Mike Horrell

> > ... strange desire to prowl after midnight and drink blood, ...

> And a compulsion to make weird posts at C-D?

I don't see what's so weird about that.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
I don't see what's so weird about that.
(Making weird posts at C-D.)

Now that you mention it, you're right!

In fact a non-weird post at C-D is pretty weird in itself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico