Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 12:24 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times

Advertisements

https://local.newsbreak.com/albuquer...5.web2_fromweb

I can understand the reasons for these 3 cities. When I lived in NM I was extremely healthy living in a rural area at 7300 feet. I have severe lung issues that are managed, but living on a homestead without electricity or indoor plumbing was likely to cause illness and it did not. It may have had something to do with not being near a highly agricultural area and pesticides, or not being near a large city like Albuquerque. ABQ has a mountain range to the east, which traps particulates. Having grown up in Southern California east of Los Angeles which is a basin that traps pollution, where the only time it clears out is during the annual Santa Ana winds, I can see why ABQ has a problem.

There is one thing I don't understand: some of it is attributed to dust storms. Huh? Phoenix has multiple dust storms every summer and it's not as high on the list? I was sick quite a bit when I lived there (though I never got Valley Fever).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2023, 03:22 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
I have visited New Mexico a lot, but just once since co-vid. and I can tell you that I-10 from Las Cruces to the Arizona border is nasty in the early spring-just nasty. Do a search On I-10 dust storms, I can assure you you'll run across a lot of different stories of multiple car crashes and fatalities. I remember I was heading to Tucson from Deming, fortunately I was behind a Kenworth tractor trailor hauling boom sections for Manitowoc cranes. and he was going only 30 to 35 m.p.h.

That was just fine with me because the state patrol was cleaning up several multi car crashes in both directions, most of them were a little east and west of Lordsburg. Took me nearly six hours to get to Tucson where normally it would take maybe three and a half hours. When I checked into Motel 6 at I-10 and Ina Rd. there was a 5 minute story on it. Two fatalities in two seperate accidents. Several other multi car accidents as well.

Old 08-02-2023, 07:34 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,409,636 times
What is this "Stacker" news site?

The headline is misleading. These are the three New Mexico cities that placed in their top 100. They don't "have the dirtiest air in the whole country." You're just copying an egregious headline to grab attention.

On the American Lung Association's website, Albuquerque placed 24th for ozone, and didn't place in the top 25 for particle pollution.

When I compare Albuquerque to Denver on the ALA website, it says Albuquerque has an average of 7.8 high ozone days, while Denver has 35.2. It gave Albuquerque a ranking of D for 24-hour particle pollution, and gave Denver an F. Finally, for annual particle pollution it gave both cities a "Pass," although Denver was slightly worse.

Last edited by aries63; 08-02-2023 at 07:43 PM..

Old 08-02-2023, 07:38 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,409,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post

There is one thing I don't understand: some of it is attributed to dust storms. Huh? Phoenix has multiple dust storms every summer and it's not as high on the list? I was sick quite a bit when I lived there (though I never got Valley Fever).
I guess you didn't read it. It placed Phoenix #1 as the most polluted city. That's as high on the list as it goes!

But on the ALA's list, which Stacker claims to be using, Los Angeles ranks #1 for ozone, and Bakersfield ranks #1 for particle pollution. Phoenix is #5 for ozone, and #7 and #13 for particles (year-round and short-term).

Old 08-03-2023, 07:45 AM

Newsbreak is a wonky site. I periodically delete it and redownload, rinse/repeat. I couldn't get to the whole list while in the article. Didn't click the link in the article, just focused on what they were saying about New Mexico.

Every state has some kind of pollution. I was simply pointing out what's being said about NM, not that it's gospel.

Old 08-03-2023, 08:22 AM

979 posts, read 537,988 times
Quote:
https://local.newsbreak.com/albuquer...5.web2_fromweb

I can understand the reasons for these 3 cities. When I lived in NM I was extremely healthy living in a rural area at 7300 feet. I have severe lung issues that are managed, but living on a homestead without electricity or indoor plumbing was likely to cause illness and it did not. It may have had something to do with not being near a highly agricultural area and pesticides, or not being near a large city like Albuquerque. ABQ has a mountain range to the east, which traps particulates. Having grown up in Southern California east of Los Angeles which is a basin that traps pollution, where the only time it clears out is during the annual Santa Ana winds, I can see why ABQ has a problem.

The title of the link is misleading. Albuquerque is 5th, not 1st, Las Cruces is 9th, and Deming is 49th. What is the agenda? That means there are 4 cities in the country with worse air quality than Albuquerque but the title implies it has the worst in the country. Where is the whole list?

Old 08-03-2023, 08:23 AM

979 posts, read 537,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
What is this "Stacker" news site?

The headline is misleading. These are the three New Mexico cities that placed in their top 100. They don't "have the dirtiest air in the whole country." You're just copying an egregious headline to grab attention.

On the American Lung Association's website, Albuquerque placed 24th for ozone, and didn't place in the top 25 for particle pollution.

When I compare Albuquerque to Denver on the ALA website, it says Albuquerque has an average of 7.8 high ozone days, while Denver has 35.2. It gave Albuquerque a ranking of D for 24-hour particle pollution, and gave Denver an F. Finally, for annual particle pollution it gave both cities a "Pass," although Denver was slightly worse.
Thanks. For some reasom I could not click the thumbs up on your post. I am always late to the party.

Old 08-03-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
The title of the link is misleading. Albuquerque is 5th, not 1st, Las Cruces is 9th, and Deming is 49th. What is the agenda? That means there are 4 cities in the country with worse air quality than Albuquerque but the title implies it has the worst in the country. Where is the whole list?
If it keeps people from flooding into New Mexico for the wrong reasons, I'm all for it! The wrong reasons being it's cheap and then prices are driven up. Ask me how I know all this. California, Oregon, Arizona, Alabama... I hope it never happens to New Mexico.

Peeps, just because I post something doesn't mean I agree with it. It was meant for discussion.

Old 08-03-2023, 09:21 AM

4,863 posts, read 4,801,062 times
Quote:
Peeps, just because I post something doesn't mean I agree with it. It was meant for discussion.

These are peeps.
Attached Thumbnails
Three New Mexico Cities Have The Dirtiest Air In The Whole Country-peeps.jpg  

Old 08-03-2023, 09:24 AM

OK everybody, pile on. Lord knows I can take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico