Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 01:45 PM

414 posts, read 1,020,041 times

Advertisements

Well in the next year or so I'm going to graduate from college with a BA in Biology and have an Illinois Teaching Certificate valid for 6-12 science. I'm also planning on getting it reciprocated in NM, because that's where I want to go. I've been looking at the NMPed site's section on reciprocity, and so far I think I'm on the right track. I've got a couple of questions though.

-First, the site says that you need to provide evidence of having satisfactorily taught under whatever state's license you're trying to reciprocate. However, if you don't have any experience in that state, do you just not have to provide evidence or do you actually need teaching experience before you can get your license reciprocated? I emailed the NMPed Licensure department and they seemed to indicate you don't actually need experience, you just need to provide proof of it if you actually do have experience. Anyone have relevant thoughts/experience on this?

-Second, for the most part the program I've taken is pretty much in line with an approved NM program. However, the approved NM program requires that teachers need to take a 3 hour course on reading. Now, this semester I'm taking a course called Content Area Literacy, which is all about reading and comprehension in various content areas, and I'm wondering if this is the type of course NM requires, or if there is something more specific to reading I need to take.

-Third, I'm pretty sure that if I actually have a valid IL license, I don't need to take NM's competency exams. However, pretty much all of the states I have looked at have a problem with IL's competency exams and require you to take their state's exams. Would this be a problem in NM or are they being completely honest when they say you do not have to take NM's competency exams if you already have a valid license?

-Finally, does anyone have experience with trying to find a teaching job in NM while out-of-state with a reciporicated license? Does anyone have any tips on how to go about doing that?

Well I didn't mean to make such a long topic, but that about covers my questions Any answers or responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 08:59 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
I hold double licensure in New Mexico & Alaska.

Regarding your first point, I read the requirements for NM & can see your confusion. Did you get a statement in writing in that e-mail?

The reading course you are taking sounds applicable for teaching reading in your content area.

I believe that the NMTA (NM Teacher Assessment) is now required of all new applicants. There is a basic skills section,an elementary/secondary section & a content knowledge section.
NMPED Licensure

However, I saw under the section on reciprocity where they want you to provide copies of test scores required, so once again, it's a bit confusing. It would be nice if you did not have to bother taking it.

It took me a number of calls to Juneau from NM to get my Alaska certification in order. I have also found it is best to send the application packet registered mail/return receipt. Licensure offices are notorious for misplacing transcripts, etc.

Good luck regarding your job search. I would look on every school district's website for job listings as a starting point. Hey, I notice there is a science opening right now at Valley HS in Albq!

Old 03-09-2010, 09:15 PM

I got an email plainly stating that experience was not required, so it looks like that's just bad wording NMPed has on their website, unless someone who's had troubles with this comes along and tells me otherwise. Glad to hear it about the reading class- 3 hours isn't a whole lot, but I'd like to have all my ducks in a row once I graduate this fall Hopefully the wording on the NMPed site is correct in that I don't have to take the exams if I have a valid teaching license. If not, I guess it's no big deal- just a little bit of a hassle. To be honest the thing I was really worried about was if I was required to have teaching experience.

You can tell I'm already a little bit anxious about finding a job...it's a little under a year until I graduate and I'm already scoping things out. I'm glad to see that even at this point there are jobs out there, though. My biggest worry is that I've heard that some prospective employers look at a resume and see an out-of-state address and just toss it away. I have a feeling I'll have to be very tenacious and diligent just to land an interview.

Anyways, thanks for your comments!

Old 03-10-2010, 04:32 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,887 times
Stay away from the South Valley especially Rio Grade High.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:09 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
The best way IMHO is to come in person. I invested in my future by flying up from NM for the spring teacher jobs fair with Alaska certificate in hand. Everyone there told me I would never get a job in Anchorage without subbing for a year first. We moved up in the spring after my school in which I was teaching let out in NM. I worried all summer LOL. All the schools close down tight for the summer. A week before school started (whew! cutting it close!) I had a job with a principal with whom I had interviewed at the jobs fair. Schools up here don't hire until right before school starts.

Check out the New Mexico educator's job fair in Albq- UAA. My experience is that it is worth the investment to go. It's usually in April. You can even find out what NM schools will be attending & send them your resume/letter ahead to request an interview at the jobs fair.

I notice that many on C-D education forum are panicking about layoffs. However, there is still a bubble of baby boomer teachers like myself retiring right when you get your diploma. So keep the faith!

Old 03-10-2010, 10:33 AM

Awesome, I didn't even know about the job fair. That would be a great way to overcome that out-of-state disadvantage. I'm not quite sure I'd have the funds to move out there with no job, though- us college graduates will be pretty low on money once these tuition hikes catch up to us. Regardless, a job fair would be a great place to at least start making connections.

I'm worried about finding a job, but no more so than I would be if I had another profession. The way I see it, 95% of jobs are being cut, so that's something I'd have to put up with in any profession. I just need to make sure I can wow people with a resume and an interview...

Old 03-14-2010, 06:16 PM

363 posts, read 1,043,381 times
Get some experience first, then apply.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,824 times
Have you had any luck? I don't think I would be much help to you. I had my teaching lic from TX, which is very hard to get, and another one from WA State. I just had to submit them with my official transcripts and the rest was done for me. I went online to look for jobs and that was pretty easy for most places are looking for teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico