Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:36 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
New Jersey has the same exact set of laws, stemmed from a paternalistic, 'big brother can wipe your ass better than you know how' mentality. It seems, however, that most in New Jersey are very happy with full service mandated only gas, which tells me that above all else, the human species resists changes, and adheres to habit, irrespective of locale. I've lived in New Jersey, and have family in Oregon, and having been to both places, New Jersey is even less logical, because there are more people, and they are mostly in a bigger hurry than in Oregon, yet what would seem to be logical, most resist in that state. It's never made any sense to me.
NJ is probably happy 'cause it doesn't cost anything extra. Gas in NJ continues to be less expensive than almost anywhere in the US, even with full-service gas stations. And, let's face it, people in certain parts of NJ expect to be waited on. Gas (fumes) on the Kenneth Coles and Via Spigas?
I don't think so.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:59 AM

5,038 posts, read 7,417,088 times
I wonder if there is any difference in crime at full-service gas stations in NJ and OR, versus self-serve NM gas stations with single-employee convenience stores. Late-night hold-ups are common in Albuquerque. The place where I often gas up (Chevron on Lead near Washington) once had the dubious distinction of being "the most frequently robbed gas station" in... I forget where, the city, the state, the country... who knows. They even closed the convenience store for a while last year and made it pay-at-the-pump-only, nobody worked there. Probably nobody wanted to. Maybe if there were more eyes around it would serve as a deterrent.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:35 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Wow I guess I never considered that people like the full service stations. I can't get it into my head that those in Oregon have the attendant pump the gas. Do they have the pay at the pump option their? I for one love my car and like to check everything myself. I like the ability to pay at the pump. Can you do that in New Mexico? I also like the self help checkout at retail locations. Seems that many either don't like them or can't figure out how to use them leaving the self help check out areas empty and available for me. In our area so few people used the Wal-Mart self check out that they got rid of them to make room for the traditional check out lines, not that they staffed them.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:41 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I can't get it into my head that those in Oregon have the attendant pump the gas. Do they have the pay at the pump option their?
It is the Oregon state law, you have no option....

Old 03-20-2010, 11:54 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It is the Oregon state law, you have no option....
Sorry about that Poncho_NM, I should have mentioned that I know that it is state law in Oregon. So sorry i did not make that more clear. For someone who is so used to managing that aspect of my automotive use it is just hard to imagine the need, all state laws aside. lol

Old 03-22-2010, 10:35 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,949 times
If someone pumps my gas for me, I also want them to clean my windows and check my engine oil and belt/belts for the extra $$$ I might pay. Back to FULL SERVICE.

The state of New Jersey is the same, illegal to pump your own, but that is not full service, it's a state law. But, the fuel prices everywhere in NJ were about the same, just about even everywhere.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:49 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
I use to pump gas, clean windshields, check oil and water in the 70's. It was a standard service provided by most stations at the time. This was in Florida but what I saw of the country it was pretty much the same. We also did mechanical work, sold tires, batteries etc. Fixed tires "you roll it in, $3.00 plus 12 cent's tax.". For a while we also sold milk. It was a larger privately owned gas station which had a long line of old customers, long time friends of the owner, and you treated them politely or you got fired. For whatever reason, economics and franchised owners started to decline. Service stations became a different type of business, most of the times you don't even know who the owner is today. In the past, the owners name was proudly displayed over the office door.

Rich

Old 03-22-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I use to pump gas, clean windshields, check oil and water in the 70's. It was a standard service provided by most stations at the time. This was in Florida but what I saw of the country it was pretty much the same. We also did mechanical work, sold tires, batteries etc. Fixed tires "you roll it in, $3.00 plus 12 cent's tax.". For a while we also sold milk. It was a larger privately owned gas station which had a long line of old customers, long time friends of the owner, and you treated them politely or you got fired. For whatever reason, economics and franchised owners started to decline. Service stations became a different type of business, most of the times you don't even know who the owner is today. In the past, the owners name was proudly displayed over the office door.

Rich
Those were the good old days.

I think part of being a service attendant was the art of salemanship too. If you spotted a dry and cracked belt, the chance of selling the gas purchaser was great, and in turn, you made money and the station made money from your keen observations and the ability of you to sell someone something.

Also, a tune up or other services is just what a person pays for, nothing more, and sometimes even less.
Yeah rich, those really were the good old days, gone forever.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:58 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,232 times
The "good ole days" weren't so good if you take into consideration the short life of car parts "back then." The decline of the need for "service" at service stations as vehicles became ever more reliable effectively killed the "under the hood" sales.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
The "good ole days" weren't so good if you take into consideration the short life of car parts "back then." The decline of the need for "service" at service stations as vehicles became ever more reliable effectively killed the "under the hood" sales.

Probably. A set of ignition points never seemed to last too long, especially if one forgot to turn the ignition switch to off when parking, etc..

I sure hope our state doesn't go to what was suggested, to have attendants pump the fuel. As long as I'm able-bodied to remove the cap and the filler, I'd prefer to serve meself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico