Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:21 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,460,038 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are coming to Taos to ski during Spring Break (March 15-19). We live in Austin, TX. She has been to Taos numerous times, however, I have not. She loves to ski, but I have never been (so, this will be interesting). We'll be spending most of the 16th and 17th on the slopes (with me on my back) and checking out the surrounding area on the 18th. We are not staying in a fancy hotel, lodge, or cabin.

I've been waiting for the right moment to ask her, and thought this just might be it. There are tons of pretty places in Austin/Hill Country I could do it, but thought this could be very unexpected/romantic.

So, any suggestions around the area? We are absolutely NOT religious, but can still find beauty in churches like San Francisco de Asis. Plan B could always be at a dirty bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 08:18 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Plan B could always be at a dirty bar.
What's wrong with; while riding a chair lift where you're both trapped in the chair for the duration of the ride while enjoying the breathtaking panoramic views on a bright and sunny spring skiing day?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:37 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
What's wrong with; while riding a chair lift where you're both trapped in the chair for the duration of the ride while enjoying the breathtaking panoramic views on a bright and sunny spring skiing day?

Good idea, then while in the chair lift , pull out a ring then accidently drop it deep down into the snow.
Spoiler
(A fake ring of course).

Old 03-03-2010, 08:46 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
Acuda.... if you've never skied before, your best bet is to take a few lessons on the bunny slope! Taos is a serious ski mountain for a beginner.

How about at one of the fine dining establishments like at La Fonda:
Taos New Mexico Restaurant :: Fine Dining at the La Fonda Hotel

Where are you staying in Taos?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Good idea, then while in the chair lift , pull out a ring then accidently drop it deep down into the snow.
Spoiler
(A fake ring of course).
Cleaver! LOL!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:08 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,460,038 times
Well, thanks to those who responded. I ended up asking her on the mountain, on top of Whitefeather/Porcupine. Of course she said yes, so all is well.

However, Bongo, you were right. I got my a** handed to me on that mountain. Taos was too steep for me to learn on. The bunny slope wasn't much better than Whitefeather. Half of Whitefeather was really a blue. I cannot recall how many times I fell. Having never skiied before, there were times that I looked alright, but I couldn't keep my speed down and would eat it.

I would love to learn. So, Bongo, do you have a suggestion for the best mountain in NM to learn on? I realized I need some slopes that are not too steep so I can "experiment" with how to bend my knees, lean, etc. and learn what works best. At Taos, you pick up speed too quickly to really "learn." My fiancee tried to tell me, but it was difficult to put what she said into action when I was barrelling down Whitefeather, needing to turn to avoid going down a blue.

Red River?
Angel Fire?
Ski Santa Fe?

Thanks

Old 03-19-2010, 05:58 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Congratulations Acuda!

Rich

Old 03-19-2010, 06:05 AM

Congrats! Now you know why they say Taos is vertical slope! You'll have stories to tell your grandkids.

Other options:
New Mexico Ski Resorts

Angel Fire has a slow bunny lift chair:
http://www.condoinangelfire.com/About_Angel_Fire.html

Old 03-19-2010, 07:08 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Red River?
Angel Fire?
Ski Santa Fe?

Thanks
All three of those have more beginner areas than does Taos. Another option and a larger ski area than those three is Ski Apache. It is the only resort in NM with a closed 4-person gondola from the base to the highest point on the mountain. There is a very long switch-back trail that is a green run that most beginners enjoy because it runs from the top of the mountain to a chair lift near the base.

Another great beginner area is Purgatory at Durango, CO - and of course there are many other CO ski areas that cater to novices.

Congratulations on the engagement and may it last until you celebrate your 50th anniv.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:51 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Well, congratulations, Acuda! How romantic, LOL!!

As far as terrain to learn on, I'd pick Colorado. Durango Mountain Resort has an abundance of easier trails and more wide-open places. I very much agree with Jax on this one.

The snow/ski season has been fantastic in NM this year, and I have loved every minute of it, along with the winter in general. I wish every year here could be like this, but it ain't gonna happen.

I have decided to head to CO next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico