Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:35 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,010,592 times

Advertisements

This would provide many jobs. Not sure how much this would impact the cost of gas, but probably not that much.

Seems to work for Oregon and they like it up there.

Helps some folks who have trouble pumping their own gas.

HW

Old 03-16-2010, 09:36 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,190,015 times
There are still some full service stations in NM, but not usually in Albuquerque.

I like self service, personally.. not worth 10c/gallon to me to wait for someone to pump gas for me.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:38 AM

9,379 posts, read 20,819,404 times
In Las Cruces, we have one full-serve optional gas station, and the prices for an attendant to pump it for you are 50 cents a gallon more.

I have no problem with full serve gasoline, as long as the consumer is given the option to pump it him or herself. In Oregon, it's against the law to pump your own gas, and that really sucks. It's kind of like self-serve counters at Albertson's: you have a choice. I am all for the consumer being given more options.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:50 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,802,877 times
In Oregon attendants are required by law to pump gas. The Oregon statute banning self-service gasoline lists seventeen different justifications, including the inflammability of gas, the risk of crime from customers leaving their car, the toxic fumes emitted by gasoline, and the jobs created by requiring mini service.

The consumer pays extra for this service.

It is not voluntary on your part.

It's a you pay as you go.... Some people complain of too much intervention? Well...

If you want verify the above you can start here:
Filling station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And then you can find it in the State of Oregon Legislature:
Oregon State Legislature

So to the question in the original title: "Would it be good for NM to have gas station attendents similiar to Oregon.."

My answer would be no....
Rich

Old 03-16-2010, 11:25 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,223,257 times
No.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:15 PM

741 posts, read 2,924,141 times
I have first hand experience with this as I used to live there. Oregon consistently has among the highest gas prices in the country, and I imagine part of that is attributable to prohibition of self-serve. And the "jobs" maintained by those laws are little more than state-imposed "make work" type positions.

So my answer would be NO. A thousand times no!

Chap

Old 03-16-2010, 01:28 PM

5,046 posts, read 7,430,564 times
Is there ANY gas station in ABQ where full service is offered? I'm not aware of any. I too would like more choices.

I would pay more for this service because I am lazy and it would remind me of growing up in the 60's when it was the norm. There should be more places where it's an option. Sometimes I pay extra at the pump for a car wash when I could do that myself, too. It shouldn't be either/or... either you make it a law like Oregon, or you de facto have to pump your own gas every time.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:05 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,920,401 times
Having had the experience of having to wait for an attendant in Oregon - to say nothing of the higher gas prices - I vote a resounding NO!

I recall how, when there is more than one car getting gas, the attendant stuck the nozzle in the gas filler and left it there as he/she went off to attend to others. Then when the nozzle shut off, I was scolded for attempting to remove it myself because I tired of waiting for the attendant to return. It is NOT a good system, and the fact that it's mandated by law makes it all the more aggravating, IMO.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:42 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,035,440 times
that is a stupid law and not a good idea, let Oregon have the higher gas prices, I dont want them, and I dont want someone to pump my gas when I can do it myself, Im not that lazy. I dont rely on people to do things for me.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:35 PM

5,046 posts, read 7,430,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Im not that lazy. I dont rely on people to do things for me.
So, you always use the self-check-out at the supermarket? I lament whenever customer service falls by the wayside and businesses provide less and less help and expect customers to do everything themselves. Courtesy is a thing of the past. For one, gas pumping service would be a great help for the elderly and handicapped. After a time my mom could not pump her own gas and it was a pain that I always had to do it for her. I'm not saying it should be the law as in Oregon, but pumping service should be widely available as an option.

According to AAA's Daily Fuel Gauge Report, an average gallon of regular gas in Oregon today is higher than in New Mexico by 10 cents, but cheaper than in California or Washington.

New Mexico: $2.783
Oregon: $2.882
Washington: $2.991
California: $3.081

Now, I don't know if there's another charge associated with the Oregon pumping law that's not part of the above figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico