Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,528 times

Advertisements

Ho, I'll be moving in July to NM. I am moving for work as a border patrol agent and will be stationed out of lordsburg. I've done a little research already, and found that agents seem to live out of Deming or Silver City. Out of the three areas which one is the best in terms of supermarkets, clothing stores, restaurants, bars, that sort of stuff? Im from Boston, so I know there will be major differences. I'm 24 and will be comming alone, I don't mind commuting either. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 06:57 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,232 times
This is a no brainer for me...SILVER CITY! Not because it's any more cosmopolitan than either Deming or Lordsburg, but rather for it's quality of life - and great year around weather is just one quality feature.

Wherever you end up, WELCOME TO THE LAND OF ENCHANTMENT!

Old 04-26-2010, 02:21 PM

61 posts, read 129,265 times
Boston to NM is a mind-blowing relocation - you'll love the weather, and find that no one is ever on time... but you get used to it after a while. I spent 20+ years in Beantown and just LOVE it here, particularly the lack of humidity. Summer is actually pleasant here, and not sticky-hot all the time, a real blessing.

Welcome to New Mexico!

SVG

Old 04-26-2010, 04:23 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,049 times
I'd go with Silver City.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Damn. Moving to New Mexico and getting paid for it. You are a fortunate man.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Valley Gal View Post
- you'll love the weather... Summer is actually pleasant here, and not sticky-hot all the time, a real blessing.
CAVEAT!!! This person is coming to southern NM to work for the border patrol. I seriously doubt that those actually out in the weather in uniform would agree that "summer is actually pleasant here." It's just downright hot in that region, and on days when the wind blows hard enough to whip up the desert sands, it can be downright .... um.... abrasive!

In that region, I would agree that fall/winter can "actually be pleasant."

Old 04-27-2010, 04:06 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
People go on about how the dry-heat of the southwest beats the humid hot of the northeast. They don't mention that the dry-heat last six times longer than the northeast's heat-waves.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
People go on about how the dry-heat of the southwest beats the humid hot of the northeast. They don't mention that the dry-heat last six times longer than the northeast's heat-waves.
I forgot to mention those body armor vests that are probably now worn by those patrolling in the heat. To say nothing of all the weight they carry in terms of hardware/sidearms. I am old enough to remember when most Border Patrol agents in the field were unarmed and wore light weight khakis in summer. Innocent days, those.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:23 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
CAVEAT!!! This person is coming to southern NM to work for the border patrol. I seriously doubt that those actually out in the weather in uniform would agree that "summer is actually pleasant here." It's just downright hot in that region, and on days when the wind blows hard enough to whip up the desert sands, it can be downright .... um.... abrasive!

In that region, I would agree that fall/winter can "actually be pleasant."
All the more reason to live in Silver City!

Seriously... I think they have AC in those trucks... plus think of the poor guys working the borders in AZ and TX... yuck!

Old 04-28-2010, 11:01 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
Would Cruces be too far south for him to live? If he's that young, he might enjoy it more here..

hmm..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico