Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 03:36 AM

4 posts, read 13,186 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have alot of questions lol.

I might be heading there this year, can anyone tell me about it? Is the area around XULA safe? Has it completely recovered from Katrina or is it still damaged? What is there to do around this university, as in night life/shopping/etc. Is it costly? Do other students from nearby uni's (dillard, tulane, etc) interact? How does XULA itself look? Feel free to add whatever else you may know. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 10:09 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,489,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWTBAD View Post
Hello, I have alot of questions lol.

I might be heading there this year, can anyone tell me about it? Is the area around XULA safe? Has it completely recovered from Katrina or is it still damaged? What is there to do around this university, as in night life/shopping/etc. Is it costly? Do other students from nearby uni's (dillard, tulane, etc) interact? How does XULA itself look? Feel free to add whatever else you may know. thanks!
I'd say that they've recovered pretty well, they also have a lot of new construction going on as of late. The University is located minutes from the CBD and French Quarter and isn't that far from the shopping spots in the suburbs. Tuition, you're looking at somewhere under or above $20,000 a year. The Universities in the city usually form they're own communities, but of course if you're a social person or involved in certain activities you'll meet and interact with students from all over the city. The way XU looks and feels depends on what end of campus you're on. You have Xavier North which is the main campus and is a mixture of shiney, new, glass buildings as well as old antiquated buildings. There is a neighborhood bisecting campus and then you have Xavier South which is mainly parking lots and older buildings. The area around the school varies from block to block. One block could be sketchy, the next safe. The entire city more or less follows that pattern.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:34 PM

Any good clubs in the area? Other than the touristy things,(the quarters,etc) what else is there to do on a day to day basis for a resident?

Old 05-10-2011, 09:09 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,489,854 times
Quote:
Any good clubs in the area? Other than the touristy things,(the quarters,etc) what else is there to do on a day to day basis for a resident?
I wasn't talking about anything touristy. I would even mention tourist traps to a potential resident. The are good clubs in the non-tourist part of the quarter as well as other parts of the city. It depends on what you are into. As far as what there is to do on a day to day basis, there's always something to find or get into. That also, depends on what you prefer.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:36 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,341,457 times
Quote:
Look at the music calender:Livewire Music Event Calendar | WWOZ New Orleans 90.7 FM, and that's just a Wednesday!

There is live music every single night to appeal to anyone's taste. Some of these clubs are in Mid-City and Carrollton which are very close to Xavier's campus.

There are over 800 bars and restaurants to choose from, art galleries, theater, festivals, pro and college sports, beautiful park space, Mardi Gras(outside of Bourbon St.) and it's all very close by if you live in the city.

If you're bored here, there's not much hope for you!

Old 05-11-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I wasn't talking about anything touristy. I would even mention tourist traps to a potential resident. The are good clubs in the non-tourist part of the quarter as well as other parts of the city. It depends on what you are into. As far as what there is to do on a day to day basis, there's always something to find or get into. That also, depends on what you prefer.
Oh, I just always heard about the quarters as the place to go (im an OOS) so thats why I thought it was touristy, my bad

Old 05-11-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
Look at the music calender:Livewire Music Event Calendar | WWOZ New Orleans 90.7 FM, and that's just a Wednesday!

There is live music every single night to appeal to anyone's taste. Some of these clubs are in Mid-City and Carrollton which are very close to Xavier's campus.

There are over 800 bars and restaurants to choose from, art galleries, theater, festivals, pro and college sports, beautiful park space, Mardi Gras(outside of Bourbon St.) and it's all very close by if you live in the city.

If you're bored here, there's not much hope for you!
Thanks for the info! Happy to be heading down there just needed some reassurance. Since I know xula isnt really a party school(which is 1 of the main reasons I want to go) I wanted to make sure NO has a lively night life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans