Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 11:16 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
No, they are all pretty similar sunbelt type cities that lack a lot of what I like about certain cities (it has nothing to do with economies). I understand those cities have their differences as well (though you are the one that grouped Dallas in their when I did not mention it).
But that can't really happen to New Orleans. Dallas is always grouped with Atlanta and Houston.

Quote:
I just meant that if it were to grow into that big of a city with that much growth, that it would turn into something similar to those types of cities. I would not want New Orleans to became something like that. Off course this seems to be some of yall's pipe dream anyway, I doubt it will happen. I just want some steady and moderate growth for New Orleans.
Do you mean New Orleans will become a sprawly city? All metro areas sprawl so that part is a given. I just don't know what you mean.

I want smart growth. Which seems to be happening, I don't see much of a problem with how those cities grew, I just see a problem with how they handled the population. New Orleans is far different physically so I don't see how it applies here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 11:33 PM

814 posts, read 1,476,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
But that can't really happen to New Orleans. Dallas is always grouped with Atlanta and Houston.

Do you mean New Orleans will become a sprawly city? All metro areas sprawl so that part is a given. I just don't know what you mean.

I want smart growth. Which seems to be happening, I don't see much of a problem with how those cities grew, I just see a problem with how they handled the population. New Orleans is far different physically so I don't see how it applies here.
I just was trying not to go on some rant sounding like I hate all of those cities. I mean they comparatively lack things like a strong local culture, history, urbanity, and large amounts of historic architecture but do have a lot of sprawl. If New Orleans were to grow into a metro area of 6 million the city will be changed and diluted. There would be a ton of transplants and new housing. I don't mind these type of things in reasonable portions but the amount it would take for New Orleans to grow that big and seeing how many are in those other large Southern cities, it would suck, even if the physical differences and limitations are taken into account. I would have much rathered for New Orleans to grow into a metro like Philly, Chicago, Boston, or San Francisco than an Atlanta, Houston, or Dallas. The former have the qualities I like in metro areas while the latter don't, even if they are all some-what similar sizes. But that period in history is over.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 03-06-2014 at 11:44 PM..

Old 03-07-2014, 12:48 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
But didn't cities like Boston and Chicago once grow like Houston and Atlanta? Isn't that exactly how they got to that point? You can throw Detroit in there too. They all had boom decades like the big three, the others are just more mature.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:14 AM

639 posts, read 821,123 times
Quote:
I just was trying not to go on some rant sounding like I hate all of those cities. I mean they comparatively lack things like a strong local culture, history, urbanity, and large amounts of historic architecture but do have a lot of sprawl. If New Orleans were to grow into a metro area of 6 million the city will be changed and diluted. There would be a ton of transplants and new housing. I don't mind these type of things in reasonable portions but the amount it would take for New Orleans to grow that big and seeing how many are in those other large Southern cities, it would suck, even if the physical differences and limitations are taken into account. I would have much rathered for New Orleans to grow into a metro like Philly, Chicago, Boston, or San Francisco than an Atlanta, Houston, or Dallas. The former have the qualities I like in metro areas while the latter don't, even if they are all some-what similar sizes. But that period in history is over.
Yes Indeed I agree I would rather N.O. grow into a Philly,Boston,Chi-Town or San Fran rather than Atlanta, Houston or Dallas but I only mentioned the latter cities b/c they are Southern cities like us BUT they have a strong economy. Outside that I would definitely pefer growth of the 1st group of cities I mentioned.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:26 AM

Personally I think the metro as a whole can hold 3million comfortably and New Orleans itself could hold 500,000 - 600,000 alone.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:51 AM

643 posts, read 978,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
Personally I think the metro as a whole can hold 3million comfortably and New Orleans itself could hold 500,000 - 600,000 alone.
Easily. San fran is like 50 square miles and has over 700,000+ within the city limits...new orleans is 180sq. miles

Old 03-07-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
But didn't cities like Boston and Chicago once grow like Houston and Atlanta? Isn't that exactly how they got to that point? You can throw Detroit in there too. They all had boom decades like the big three, the others are just more mature.
They grew very differently since they saw their major growth in different time periods. That and the fact they are more mature, is the point I am trying to make.

Quote:
Yes Indeed I agree I would rather N.O. grow into a Philly,Boston,Chi-Town or San Fran rather than Atlanta, Houston or Dallas but I only mentioned the latter cities b/c they are Southern cities like us BUT they have a strong economy. Outside that I would definitely pefer growth of the 1st group of cities I mentioned.
But that can't happen. The time period is over for New Orleans to grow like Philly, Boston, etc. I'm saying I would have rathered for New Orleans to grow that large back in the day (early 20th century and before like those cities) than for it to grow that big right now.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 03-07-2014 at 11:16 AM..

Old 03-07-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconley9922 View Post
Easily. San fran is like 50 square miles and has over 700,000+ within the city limits...new orleans is 180sq. miles
WOW!! Never knew New Orleans square miles was more tha San Francisco. Especially by that much. My goodness.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
They grew very differently since they saw their major growth in different time periods. That and the fact they are more mature, is the point I am trying to make.

But that can't happen. The time period is over for New Orleans to grow like Philly, Boston, etc. I'm saying I would have rathered for New Orleans to grow that large back in the day (early 20th century and before like those cities) than for it to grow that big right now.
But is it too late to grow like Atlanta,Dallas,H-Town?

Old 03-07-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
WOW!! Never knew New Orleans square miles was more tha San Francisco. Especially by that much. My goodness.
Only about 70-80 square miles are developed. The rest is swamps, marshes, and wetlands.

Quote:
But is it too late to grow like Atlanta,Dallas,H-Town?
I guess it's not too late, even though New Orleans' growth would be in a slightly different time period (since those other cities grew a little earlier). But I'm saying I would not want New Orleans to grow like those cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans