Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:33 PM

5 posts, read 5,585 times

Advertisements

Hey!
I'm a recent college graduate who is trying to pursue photography. I have previously lived in northern Louisiana but never actually lived in New Orleans. However I love it and I know it wouldn't disappoint me. My question is do you think that New Orleans is still a great city for artists. I want to know if it would be a good move for me in terms of opportunities for me to begin establishing myself as a photographer.

I have a friend in Portland Oregon who has been pulling for me to move there, and I'm just confused! I want to do whats best for me career-wise and not what's necessarily easiest.

Thanks = )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 09:42 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Depends on where you want to take your career. Will you be doing only freelance, or are you wanting to locate a contract job? New Orleans has an immense art scene, although that doesn't warrant success. If you are just breaking into the field, a city won't make or break you, it depends on how you perform, and market your skill.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:47 PM

I agree with everything you're saying. I just mean in terms of how welcoming they are to new artists; if I can network easily, does the city have any special events geared directly towards showcasing new artwork, is the art scene booming, stuff like that. What would I be looking at.

I'm very driven, I know it ultimately comes down to me how far I get. Yet if there is an easier way to get my name out there, such as a supportive art community, then I suppose I would be pulled to go that way.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:49 PM

and I would begin at the very bottom doing freelance.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:51 PM

432 posts, read 1,086,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user102 View Post
and I would begin at the very bottom doing freelance.
Good advice.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:07 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Well if you enjoy working with people (I hated shooting people!), you should at least be able to get some work for portraits, and eventually events. Are you comfortable charging for your work? If so, you shouldn't have a problem. Also the city and area provides hundreds of opportunities to practice landscape, and cityscape shots. Doesn't cost anything to hone your skills.

I cannot name any specific event or showcase, but with the many galleries uptown and downtown, and an emerging visual arts scene, I'm sure there are many convienices to exposing yourself in the industry.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:00 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
A friend went to NOLA last year, with an artisit friend of his. She found work almost immediately in a gallery and is selling her art as well. So if that means anything, the city is welcoming to artists. YMMV.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:42 AM

11 posts, read 19,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user102 View Post
Hey!
I'm a recent college graduate who is trying to pursue photography. I have previously lived in northern Louisiana but never actually lived in New Orleans. However I love it and I know it wouldn't disappoint me. My question is do you think that New Orleans is still a great city for artists. I want to know if it would be a good move for me in terms of opportunities for me to begin establishing myself as a photographer.

I have a friend in Portland Oregon who has been pulling for me to move there, and I'm just confused! I want to do whats best for me career-wise and not what's necessarily easiest.

Thanks = )
Why would you even consider moving down here? Just for the artistry? Yes. They do have great ART down here. But wouldnt you rather live in an better LOOKING city?

Old 08-19-2011, 09:24 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoplePerson6 View Post
Why would you even consider moving down here? Just for the artistry? Yes. They do have great ART down here. But wouldnt you rather live in an better LOOKING city?
We get that you hate N.O. but you are getting VERY repetitive.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:23 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,341,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoplePerson6 View Post
Like where? Tell me where you live so I can go to that forum and post ugly comments.

New Orleans has great art because we have great artists. This is a great place to be creative as the community is very supportive of new talent and new ideas. If you're going to give it a shot, this is the place to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans