Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 02:50 PM

4 posts, read 4,755 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am headed back to New Orleans and plan on doing a dry run of local living.

I am unsure if I want to move there because, well, you all don't have the best reputation for "quality of life", let's be honest. However, knowing about the crime, health system, corruption, etc, still, for some reason, doesn't shake my yearning to move to your glorious city. I am from LA, CA btw and lemme tell you, life ain't all great out here. Oh yea, we can live to 100 out here easy, but our soul is dead by 20.

ANYWAY, I say that to say this, I will be there for a solid week in the Fall.

I would like to do this trip the local way.

Can someone please tell me where do the locals eat (Don't you dare fix your mouth to say Commander's Palace, either) ?

Shop?

Hang out?

Let's say within a 30 minute radius of the city.

I am a young professional btw, so I would like to hangout where I can network perhaps, but I am open to most any crowd.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 09:51 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,341,457 times
Locals do eat at Commanders (higher income ones at least). It's not some tourist trap. Old school fine dining and they do the important creole dishes very well.

Check out the Young Leadership Council of New Orleans. It's the largest young professional organization in the city. They have multiple ongoing volunteer projects and events every month.

See:
Going to New Orleans in April and I would like some food and nightlife recommendations

Old 07-26-2018, 12:20 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,941,362 times
Locals do laundry, go grocery shopping, run errands, work, and sleep, just like locals everywhere.

When we eat at a restaurant, many of us choose a small, family run Italian/Creole neighborhood restaurant in our neighborhood. These places are all over town and you really can't go wrong with a place like that. Or at least most of them have good food and don't cost much.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:27 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,307,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
Locals do eat at Commanders (higher income ones at least). It's not some tourist trap. Old school fine dining and they do the important creole dishes very well.

Check out the Young Leadership Council of New Orleans. It's the largest young professional organization in the city. They have multiple ongoing volunteer projects and events every month.

See:
Going to New Orleans in April and I would like some food and nightlife recommendations
Have lived in the New Orleans area most of our adult lives. While some locals do eat at Commanders, it is very touristy. It is not one of our 'go to' places.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:40 AM

636 posts, read 612,463 times
Go to a live show outside the quarter.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:23 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times
Take 2-3 hours to eat brunch at Galatoire's or Commander's Palace.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:42 PM

234 posts, read 288,999 times
I recommend these restaurants as well as any little hole in the wall restaurant you can find where you may have to eat standing up. People do not do that unless the food is fantastic.

K-Paul's (superb food but be prepared to wait a LONG time for a table)

Antoine's (a classic)

Camellia Grill (great for breakfast/brunch)

Joey K's (simple, classic New Orleans Po-Boys, seafood, Creole dishes)

I am sure it is no longer there (little is there anymore since Katrina), but once upon a time, you could have had the best fried chicken known to humankind at Jim Dandy's down in the Ninth Ward. A few years ago I heard there was one lone Jim Dandy's left in a really, really bad part of Los Angeles. Something to think about if you are brave enough to go into that neighbourhood some day. I heard the restaurant is covered in bullet proof glass. No kidding. (LOL)

ETA: How could I forget these?

St. Roch Market (the eternal venue for some of the freshest most delicious seafood around)

Café du Monde (for coffee and beignets)

Central Grocery and Deli (a favourite for muffuletta lovers--of which I am not one)

Old timers are often found belly up to the bar in their neighbourhood pubs where it is cold and fairly dark inside and where "everybody knows their names." Seriously, if you really want to rub shoulders with the average, working class New Orleanian, that is where you will find them. Most of these pubs have a small menu of sandwiches and fresh seafoods, e.g. crabs, oysters, etc., and many will have a small area at one end of the bar with a window that opens up onto the banquette outside. This is where neighbourhood kids come to buy pop, chips, and candy because as minors they are not allowed to walk into the pubs. I have never seen this any place else I have visited.

I doubt they are still there, but two of the oldest fine clothing stores on Canal Street that are worth a peek if they are still there are Maison Blanche and D.H. Holmes. Visit Maison Blanche at Christmas time to enjoy their window display featuring Mr. Bingle.

Many tourists come for Madi Gras, of course, and whilst it is nice, once you have been to one, you have been to all of them. Go in February for Mardi Gras, but make your reservations about 4 years in advance.

A big event each year for both locals and tourists alike is the Jazz Fest in the Spring. Another fun fest is the Strawberry Festival in Ponchatoula.

Last edited by the_little_truth_writer; 08-07-2018 at 08:38 PM..

Old 08-09-2018, 09:36 AM

636 posts, read 612,463 times
If you need to drink around the quarter hit up cosimo's.

go to wing snack for wings, cajun fries, and ghetto punch.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:55 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
If I ever get to take a trip to New Orleans there are two places I want to see. One is Villalobos dog rescue in the 9th Ward (Pitbulls and Parolees) and the other is Tahyo Tavern in the French Quarter. Read a lot of good reviews on their food and the money from Tahyo helps support Villalobos. We watch Pit Bulls and Parolees all the time and would like to see it in person and be one of the volunteers to help walk the dogs.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:09 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,141,526 times
I'm sure that tourists know about these places, but I don't think they're tourist-y.

Mona's (if you like Greek food)

Angelo Brocato's (for some of the best sweets in town, IMO)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans