Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 10:43 AM

74 posts, read 119,207 times

Advertisements

There is nice homes their no doubt. There is also lots and lots of crime. Look up the stats and you should be able to see for yourself. Murders and shootings are common in Algiers. To be honest, safe areas are hard to come by here unless you have really big bucks. That's why I recommended Belle Chasse. It's safe, good schools and not as expensive as other safe areas close to down town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 11:26 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Isn't it still liable to flood in hurricane?

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:40 AM

74 posts, read 119,207 times
Well of course. We are below sea level so hurricanes are always an issue. Algiers, Saint Bernard, around Lake Ponchartrain are more likely to flood. Oh, and lower Plaquemines Parish. Most of the westbank, south of New Orleans doesn't flood quite as much.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:48 AM
ptt

497 posts, read 637,052 times
Have you look into Isidore Newman School?

Old 07-10-2013, 04:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,935 times
Hi ster74 was wondering if you had any luck with finding anything as far as schools and housing. I'm in a similar situation but we have one son who's 9 and has autism. Can't find any concrete facts about schools or living conditions.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:36 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,370,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Metairie and Kenner are boring , ultraconservative suburbs. Lakeview is nice but can be very pricey. Uptown is hit or miss, from grand old mansions to run-down crack houses. But to many, it's the quintessential New Orleans neighborhood.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Lol! And Lakeview isn't ultraconservative? You know, it may seem boring to you, but some people actually like living in these areas. My mom lives in Kenner and I can tell you that there are MANY "non- conservatives". To the OP. Lakeview is a wonderful place to raise a family. I have family members that send their kids to St. Dominic's and they love it.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,728 times
I am a college student and grew up in new orleans i graduated almost 4 years ago and attended private/catholic schools for the majority of my schooling. However i did go back and forth from private to catholic, to Northshore, Uptown, and Westbank schools.

I can honestly say keep your kids out of public schools if at all possible. The only public schools that I would send my kids to are in the metarie or northshore area. If were talking about schools in the inner city or westbank I would cross them off my list. These schools are run down and highly underfunded. You have a better chance of teaching your kids yourself. Elementary schools are pretty safe as in "crime" but once you get to middle school and high school all the safeness goes out the window. I know this from personal experience.

I know your husband's familes are against anything other than catholic but St. George's is a very top notched school I have 2 cousins that go there and they are plenty smart. However, i went to Catholic school for may years and graduated from one and even though I am not Catholic I still apperciated the moral lessons I learned in school. Most kids in catholic schools arent Catholic and the schools dont try to convert you or anything most of the kids go there because there parents want them to have a good education not to tun them into nuns. The schools know this and are pretty careful about pressing religion down your throat but it will be there. Plus if you didnt know new orleans has the biggest Catholic school system in the country so going to Catholic school is pretty normal around here no matter what your own persnal beliefs are. My baptist pastor's kids go to catholic school and I had practicing muslims at the school I graduated from. So your kids wont be considered weird for not being catholic. There are a few private (not religious) schools around the city mostly uptown I would say these are probably the best schools in the city but they will burn a hole in your pocket. So if you cant afford them I would say Catholic is the way to go, then Charter but you have to be careful with charter because a lot of these schools were once public and then added chater to the end of their name and most of them are just as bad the public.

Here are a list of school I would recommend

Private (non-religious)

Newman
Louis Mcghee (all-girls)
Stuart Hall (all-boys)
Lake Castle Private

Catholic
Ursuline Academy (all girls)
Mount Carmel Academy (all girls)
Sacred Heart (all girls)
St.Georges
Rummel (all-boy)
Jesuit (all-boy)
Academy of Our Lady (all girls)
Archbishop Shaw (all boys)
St. Andrews
St. Rita
Holy Cross
St. Anothony
Holy Rosary

Charter
Lafayette Academy
Audubon Charter

You will find that most private/catholic schools will be all-boy or all-girl and majority white especailly in the high schools thats just how things have always been doubt it will change anytime soon. So you will have to diversify your kids on your own. Hope this helps

Old 07-28-2013, 01:47 AM

310 posts, read 854,691 times
Just had to laugh. Kenner post storm has become less conservative. My neighbors on one side are so conservative, it feels like they're killing my home value with their super religious political signs. On the other hand, an openly gay couple moved in on our other side. My husband and I are independent, but I don't think you'll find Kenner to ultra conservative anymore. Lots of foreign people who came here to work after Katrina are still here. The people that got scared moved to Metairie. That being said, the suburbs are not at all welcoming to transplants regardless of political views. I belong to social groups in the city and just commute. I've given up on fitting in to any social group in Kenner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans