Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 08:22 PM

15 posts, read 25,283 times

Advertisements

Ok I love New Orleans its my favorite place in the world. However I have a little sister I have to take care of so I don't think New Orleans would be in her best interest due to the flooding, hurricane and crime. So is there a list of places in Louisiana closet to New Orleans were there is no flooding, hurricanes, and less crime? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 08:37 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,256,541 times
I can't help you with places but good for you to step up and take care of your little sister at such a young age yourself . You are an inspiration.

Cost could also be a deterring factor in NOLA.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:38 PM

16,514 posts, read 26,420,450 times
Are you worried about her because of her age? There are safe places in New Orleans and the metro area with less crime, no flooding, and hurricanes can hit any city on the coast.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:04 PM

I am just worried for her safety not only crime wise but flooding. She is the only family I have and I just don't know if I want to risk something happening to her. What is the metro area in new Orleans and has if flooded in the metro area? I tried to find out what area the metro area is but I could not find anything on it. I cant afford to replace everything I have if flooded. What is the area code or streets for the metro area and the areas where the flooding has never hit? Thank you for helping me. Please give me all you know. I love New Orleans and if I can find a safe area where it wont flood our home I would love to there. But if you have kids then you will understand I have to know that if I move to no metro area my little sister I am not putting her in danger. Thank you [SIZE=5]adventuregurl[/SIZE] for such a sweet comment. Thanks to everyone helping me again thank y'all

Old 12-17-2013, 09:17 PM

I don't know why you think flooding is such an issue there. Decent areas generally don't flood at all. The metro area of New Orleans is New Orleans and everything around it, and the suburbs north of Lake Pontchartrain.
You are putting her in no more danger than moving to any other city, other than maybe Boise.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:54 PM

Well hurricane Katrina is why I am a little paranoid about it. So it does not flood anymore? People keep saying it is dangerous.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:52 PM

When was the last time a Katrina storm happened? It was a once in a lifetime storm. Please leave all your preconceptions about New Orleans where you are and don't listen to people who don't have extended experience there.

Every city floods. The Army Corps built a top-notch levee system that has proven to keep the city dry these past storms.

New Orleans violent crime rate is below that of the national average. You are just as safe there as you are in an average American city. There are bad areas though, with violent crime, but that is in any city and these areas are easily avoidable. Seems you would prefer to live in the suburbs though, where it's even safer.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:15 PM

Ok thank you so much for helping me. It really helped me out.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:00 AM

643 posts, read 981,198 times
Like annie said, the levee system has been upgraded and it is wayyy better than it was in past years. There are plenty of places within the city where you can have a high quality of life, ex lakeview/lakefront, gentilly , parts of Eastern New Orleans, broadmoor, garden district, etc...but if you want to be away from the city but still close you'd have to look more to the northshore area slidell, covington , lacombe mandeville areas....

Old 12-18-2013, 10:16 AM

ok thank you guys I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans