Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 09:36 AM

263 posts, read 230,853 times

Advertisements

Hey, City-Data, you've been good to me over the years. I needed to make an account to type up my thoughts on this complex matter and more importantly to get perspective from any of you great people out there reading this.

My goal here is to make CLEAR my opinionated perspective or whatever you'd like to see it as on here...I've visited NOLA a couple of times in different seasons and have done some reading and comparing perspectives 'research' if you wanna call it that since having last visited. On the other hand, I haven't been in Colorado long, but there are some distinguished benefits here.

I am a 25 year old, single white cisgendered heterosexual male, if this sways your decision at all.

THE GOOD or why I am considering moving with my roommates

- Really stellar live music-based culture..busking in the French Quarter etc....see I haven't been in Colorado long enough (no summertime experience) to compare, but I doubt someone on Pearl St. in Boulder can get it poppin like some of the musicians I've heard on street and in bar alike in NOLA (not just the French Quarter) AND it's just not as normal up here...correct me if you see it otherwise.

- Great food...oyster poboy is not something I'd order up here near the Wyoming border.. ..& I think it's a fair assumption there is a lot I have yet to discover in the city. The food in Colorado is not amazing. I have had good hispanic style foods here but they're good everywhere I've been. I haven't even been able to find any elk yet what's up with that?

These two points form the greater part of what I think of as the 'European' touch that so many describe NOLA having (having been to the Mediterranean only once and in one location) I'm talking 'what is truly markedly different'

sidenotes: cool architecture is kinda nice...drinking in parks is cool. Also the massive oaks along Carrollton for example...NOLA has beautiful nature....turtles & butterflies +

- 'subtropical climate' i enjoy not putting on a ton of clothing and having the freedom to walk barefoot. Water is also cool, although I'm not huge on swimming, boating is sometimes fun although expensive/hassle etc...much more into hot springs and hiking to them....NOLA is far from those opportunities, but I'm also not crazy about -25 to 25 degree weather which we've been experiencing some of so far this autumn.

- PEOPLE......people are cool, I've got friends here and I've got friends there. It'll be sad watching my roommates go, especially with their dogs, but I'm open to keeping my friends who are staying here as well. I like ethnic diversity...sometimes people from different cultures do cool stuff that's different and I like that, ya know?......I don't care what my friends races are, but I somehow feel more comfortable when there's a mix of white, black & brown folk for example. Might have to do with being from the mid-atlantic? This is something I haven't cared for in Colorado and the PNW...everyone is white...but in a way this is superficial.

So overall there's a little bit of a looser-freer feeling kind of society where I can be in gym shorts drinkin a nice craft beer in the park legally when i'm off of work 300 days out of the year AT LEAST! Free music, positive energy, ye! & closer to the east coast for a drive to NYC, appalachia, etc.

THE BAD or why I am considering staying in Colorado

- Crime. It's not hard to understand that very direct & violent crime is more easily carried out efficiently and frequently in a warmer climate. NOLA is known for this.

I've gotten around various cities on foot at night including this one and been around scary people and never had a problem, but I'm not really trying to get shot or stabbed or have stuff taken out of my place while I'm gone. I've only been uncomfortable face to face with somebody strange in the depths of a city twice in my life but I did not like that feeling. I'm not a fighter.

On the other hand, stuff goes on here especially in Denver, and I know there are hard drugs here like anywhere else, but I doubt it compares at all to even the nicer parts of NOLA. Really, tell me otherwise, I wanna know.

- Homeless folk - warmer climate problems. I've got no illusions about the different homeless cultures in the US. I have friends from all different backgrounds, but it's not exactly a winning point for a city. See also young & dumb schwilly oogles who think they rule the world. Not to say there are no homeless folk in CO.

- Lack of medical and recreational cannabis. This might not be an issue for you but I've got health problems that this stuff quells. From what I understand Louisiana is a very cruel place toward cannabis people. I hear NOLA has decriminalized it or whatever, but it just doesn't compare to the situation in Colorado. Maybe you can tell me otherwise from experience?

Are there really no state-legal medical cannabis/ THC products in Louisiana at all?

So this is what I'm getting at...alcohol does terrible things to people.....& there is less of an outlet without the mountains there especially if you're not a true musician...ocean's nice to see & hear & in some cases smell but are you going to go down to the Gulf for a swim?

- ECONOMY....from what I understand it's all about the service industry in NOLA. Woo, that is NOT exciting for someone with two bachelor's degrees who is fluent in Spanish. I have worked in restaurants and whatnot and I am trying to do something different right now and basically 'through my five year plan' (bout to make one of those...)...

& to be frank, it may be that one day I'd want to manage a nice microbrew or 'ethnic cuisine' type establishment? - NOLA is probably a more fun place for that than Chi/PDX/etc. but I doubt it's less competitive AND I doubt it's as lucrative! OUCH...I feel like even though 'the Boulder area' is CRAZY expensive, NOLA is going to hurt my wallet just as heartily! Tell me otherwise, this is what the thread is for.

Are there any economic benefits between the two states that I'm missing? I am renting currently but I am a potential homebuyer as well.

- SCHOOLING I'm not a family man so don't get it twisted... but I'm probably going to go to grad school and it just SEEMS like there's a lot more better opportunities here than in NOLA...it seems JUST as expensive for 'quality' schooling anyway!

What would be better for a graduate going into teaching Spanish as a second language to native English speakers? Tulane/Loyola? CU Boulder? I KNOW IT DEPENDS ON THE PROFESSOR I WORK WITH.....Please give me your opinionated perspectives!!!!

- Hurricanes/etc..the area we're in now has flooding problems, but I'd hate to lose my vehicle/clothes/life to another Katrina situation. & if history repeats itself 'the man' may not be so helpful if the levees break again

So on the other hand, staying here and forging my own way poses challenges, but as long as the geyser in Yellowstone doesn't go off, it seems relatively safer in all aspects...including my health and the area is more financially stable and climbing. Farther from home and family but closer to the best coast/inland empire for great road trips....11 hrs to the grand canyon and 20 hrs to olympia. Cold, have to pay for heating costs and there is the risk of pipes breaking. Bummer, but.

Seems like my money will go just AS far here, maybe a bit father than in Louisiana? I am curious as to what you can tell me.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration. All responses are strongly appreciated, and if you have any questions about the front range area, you can contact me

Last edited by DelmarvaNative; 12-11-2015 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: redundant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 01:40 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
As someone who lived for a time in New Orleans while in school, and who just recently moved away from Denver, I'll take a crack at this. First, let me say this is a tough decision. Boulder is a really great place to live. If you can currently afford to live in Boulder with a lifestyle you are comfortable with, you'd be hard pressed to leave.

Boulder Pros

1. Amazingly beautiful. Tons of outdoor activities.
2. Economy is booming right now. Highly educated and high income workforce.
3. Very low violent crime rate.
4. Close proximity to Denver for activities and access to a large International airport.
5. Very liberal and religion has a negligible influence on most people's lives (maybe too liberal, though??)

New Orleans Pros

1. Unique city with a flavor that cannot be replicated elsewhere. Recent influx of young, idealistic professionals.
2. Very ethnically and racially diverse.
3. Much less expensive cost of living (more specifically, housing).

I don't know. If it were me, I would stay in Boulder. However, some of the things I listed as pros for Boulder could arguably be cons. In a way, it's almost so desirable, that is practically tapped out in terms of potential in some areas.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:13 PM

860 posts, read 1,193,945 times
I had to Google schwilly oogles. I must be getting old.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:57 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Is the main reason you are considering NOLA because your friends are moving there? That doesn't sound like a good reason. It sounds like you don't want to be without your friends in Boulder but don't really want to move to NOLA.

NOLA is more like the East Coast than out West. To answer some of your questions...

Beaches vs. mountains: The beaches starting on the Alabama coast to Florida which isn't that far away driving are some of the best in the country, better than the mid Atlantic where you're from and yes you can go swimming from about April until October. The mountains west of Denver are some of the best ski resorts - WASH.

Climate costs:
Heating costs in Colorado versus cooling costs in New Orleans - WASH. However, the dryness of Colorado always bugged me, I would get eczema and other skin conditions there. Humidity is great for the skin.

Tolerance:
New Orleans better for alcohol tolerance, CO better for cannabis tolerance. WASH.

Crime:
Boulder much much better in this regard. Crime has been escalating and is a very big problem in NOLA. Boulder.

Economy:
CO is booming because of legalization of cannabis. Boulder is a booming college town. New Orleans has a burgeoning film industry and a robust restaurant and hospitality industry but you are more likely to get a good job in Boulder. Boulder.

Natural disasters:
CO has water problems like most of the west and unsustainable population growth. NOLA has hurricane risks, but honestly the latest levee improvements "Great Wall of Louisiana" have in my opinion mitigated most of the risk. WASH

Homeless folk:
My understanding is homeless folks follow the season. I remember several homeless begging for money in Denver while waiting at a stop light. New Orleans has a bad homeless problem as well, as bad as SF. Boulder.

Food:
This is no contest, NOLA wins by a mile. I haven't found edible food in the front range in all my years. They even messed up Rudy's BBQ from TX. New Orleans

Microbrews:
You mentioned this. CO has fat tire and some other ales, New Orleans has Abitas and a burgeoning micro/nano brewery scene. More creative stuff is being done down here. New Orleans

Scores:
New Orleans 2
Boulder 3

So with your options Boulder wins.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
I had to Google schwilly oogles. I must be getting old.
I'm sure we can agree they've always existed under other names

Old 12-13-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
As someone who lived for a time in New Orleans while in school, and who just recently moved away from Denver, I'll take a crack at this. First, let me say this is a tough decision. Boulder is a really great place to live. If you can currently afford to live in Boulder with a lifestyle you are comfortable with, you'd be hard pressed to leave.

Boulder Pros

1. Amazingly beautiful. Tons of outdoor activities.
2. Economy is booming right now. Highly educated and high income workforce.
3. Very low violent crime rate.
4. Close proximity to Denver for activities and access to a large International airport.
5. Very liberal and religion has a negligible influence on most people's lives (maybe too liberal, though??)

New Orleans Pros

1. Unique city with a flavor that cannot be replicated elsewhere. Recent influx of young, idealistic professionals.
2. Very ethnically and racially diverse.
3. Much less expensive cost of living (more specifically, housing).

I don't know. If it were me, I would stay in Boulder. However, some of the things I listed as pros for Boulder could arguably be cons. In a way, it's almost so desirable, that is practically tapped out in terms of potential in some areas.
I appreciate the context and everything. I don't actually live in Boulder. I am nearby in a more affordable area.

+ the mountain access is stellar here...I have found a lot of job ops too..no crime issues so far..like Denver and the airport there is definitely a welcome asset for me. As for politics I'm not passionate about religion but the cannabis situation here, while still not perfect, is a good thing.

+ yeah, NOLA has a lot going for it too. Definitely a tough decision, I am glad you can appreciate that. I'm thinking like some advantages might be less competition for better work, and the housing - I'm glad you mentioned that - while I'm unwilling to live in Boulder for now though - I'd like to live in a nicer part of Carrollton or somewhere in NOLA to be honest...not certain it's going to add up compared to the town i'm currently in.

Yeah Boulder is kinda too crazy for me in the wrong ways....everybody is trying too hard....like some bigger population areas are more chill than Boulder....

Anyway thanks a lot for the response!

Old 12-13-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Is the main reason you are considering NOLA because your friends are moving there? That doesn't sound like a good reason. It sounds like you don't want to be without your friends in Boulder but don't really want to move to NOLA.

NOLA is more like the East Coast than out West. To answer some of your questions...

Beaches vs. mountains: The beaches starting on the Alabama coast to Florida which isn't that far away driving are some of the best in the country, better than the mid Atlantic where you're from and yes you can go swimming from about April until October. The mountains west of Denver are some of the best ski resorts - WASH.

Climate costs:
Heating costs in Colorado versus cooling costs in New Orleans - WASH. However, the dryness of Colorado always bugged me, I would get eczema and other skin conditions there. Humidity is great for the skin.

Tolerance:
New Orleans better for alcohol tolerance, CO better for cannabis tolerance. WASH.

Crime:
Boulder much much better in this regard. Crime has been escalating and is a very big problem in NOLA. Boulder.

Economy:
CO is booming because of legalization of cannabis. Boulder is a booming college town. New Orleans has a burgeoning film industry and a robust restaurant and hospitality industry but you are more likely to get a good job in Boulder. Boulder.

Natural disasters:
CO has water problems like most of the west and unsustainable population growth. NOLA has hurricane risks, but honestly the latest levee improvements "Great Wall of Louisiana" have in my opinion mitigated most of the risk. WASH

Homeless folk:
My understanding is homeless folks follow the season. I remember several homeless begging for money in Denver while waiting at a stop light. New Orleans has a bad homeless problem as well, as bad as SF. Boulder.

Food:
This is no contest, NOLA wins by a mile. I haven't found edible food in the front range in all my years. They even messed up Rudy's BBQ from TX. New Orleans

Microbrews:
You mentioned this. CO has fat tire and some other ales, New Orleans has Abitas and a burgeoning micro/nano brewery scene. More creative stuff is being done down here. New Orleans

Scores:
New Orleans 2
Boulder 3

So with your options Boulder wins.

Thanks a whole lot for the response, & I have realized how absurd my notion of moving 'to stay with my roommates' is I guess after having eh roommates mostly for many years it's too nice having 'better' ones. I'm not totally co-dependant but I appreciate the present situation, maybe a bit too much.

Definitely agree NOLA's got much more in common with the east than west.

Interesting what you say about the beaches. Humidity IS great for the skin...didn't consider that. I like the dry air but the chapped lips and whatnot aren't great. Yeah food on the front range is unexceptional, I found more exciting and innovative stuff basically anywhere else

Interesting about "The Great Wall of Louisiana".

Old 12-14-2015, 09:38 AM

974 posts, read 2,185,792 times
There are two things I tell people about New Orleans: Perception and Reality.
NOLA has a romantic, nostalgic vibe with all its music, food, history and cultural diversity. It has a vibrance that makes it close to being an American version of a European-type city. It's a fun place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

It still has too many negatives IMHO, crime being a major problem. While some will argue that the more violent criminal stats are zip-code based, still you have to be careful no matter where you go. And there are places in NOLA that I wouldn't drive around asking for directions. My lady-friend and I were looking at Bed & Breakfast's in NOLA proper and we were amazed at some warnings to "not walk the neighborhood at night" on some travel forums.

Boulder, CO area is rated super-high on all best places to live / work lists that I've come across. So I'd be hard pressed to advise someone to bail on that in favor of NOLA.

What I'd suggest is let your friends relocate and why not go visit them in 6 months? Heck that sounds like a better deal in the long run.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
NOLA has a romantic, nostalgic vibe with all its music, food, history and cultural diversity. It has a vibrance that makes it close to being an American version of a European-type city. It's a fun place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

It still has too many negatives IMHO, crime being a major problem. While some will argue that the more violent criminal stats are zip-code based, still you have to be careful no matter where you go. And there are places in NOLA that I wouldn't drive around asking for directions. My lady-friend and I were looking at Bed & Breakfast's in NOLA proper and we were amazed at some warnings to "not walk the neighborhood at night" on some travel forums.

Boulder, CO area is rated super-high on all best places to live / work lists that I've come across. So I'd be hard pressed to advise someone to bail on that in favor of NOLA.

What I'd suggest is let your friends relocate and why not go visit them in 6 months? Heck that sounds like a better deal in the long run.
Thanks for the reply & I see what you're saying.

I've always enjoyed visiting there. I even agree with the 'Euro-feel' in some areas.

Negatives - yeah, I'm not a huge homebody - I don't own a lot but I like not being as concerned about my place being broken into - & I'm not going to 'just stay home where it's safe' that's like 'living on your knees'.

& right like criminals can't travel across zipcode borders. lol.

Thanks again for the non-egoic & empathetic reply.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:43 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post

To be fair, those B&D's were probably in Treme or the Marigny, any area like that would be potentially dangerous at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans