Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,363 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I was offered an internship for this summer in Slidell, LA. I am from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and I have never been to the South in my life. I have absolutely no knowledge of the area. I am 20 years old and I would be living by myself for the summer and I would only accept the internship if I know that I would be living in a safe place. Safety and security are very important to me. I don't want to feel on edge the entire time I am living there and want to feel relaxed and not constantly looking over my shoulder or worrying about getting robbed or burglarized or worse.

With this in mind, could anyone tell me the safest areas to rent near Slidell? Or maybe your recommendations for apartment complexes? I absolutely don't want to live in New Orleans. I don't mind commuting but would prefer it to be less than 30 minutes to my work. Also, I would prefer rent to be less than $800/mo. It would also be nice to live on the water, but I don't know if that would be possible given my other requirements. Thanks so much for your help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 04:08 PM

21 posts, read 90,609 times
Slidell is the suburbs, mostly consists of single family subdivision type neighborhoods, but there are a few areas where apartment complexes can be found. You should be very safe in the majority of Slidell as it is definitely not comparable to New Orleans, or any of the Southshore in general. The area is mostly families and older folks and the younger single scene is not what it is known for, but there are a couple of decent places to have a night out here in Slidell without having to cross the lake and deal with New Orleans.

Most of the complexes South of Slidell (Eden Isles, Oak Harbor, Lakeshore Estates, quite a few complexes off of Ponchartrain Dr.) are perfectly fine from a safety standpoint (and some may be on the water!), but may exceed your price range (particularly some of the newer ones closer to the lake e.g. Harborside). I have friends around your age that live in Pelican Point apartments (near the intersection of Robert Blvd. and Brownswitch Rd.) and they seem to enjoy living there (several pools in this complex, so if you are here in the summer this could be a great idea as the heat and humidity in the area is going to be much more extreme than PGH). Safety should not be of much concern in this area either and they should be around your price range for a 1 bedroom unit. There is a new complex in Fremaux Town Center (Springs at Fremaux TC) where a coworker lives; these are probably some of, if not the only studio type units that can be found in Slidell, and I believe they do shorter term rentals as well. Shopping, eating, a gym, etc are available in FTC so that could be a good option as well. Safety would not be a concern here, but I do think the complex is still a bit under construction at the moment (though this should be complete by next summer). There are a few complexes off of Military Rd. as well as a few off of Airport Rd. that could suit you as well. From a safety standpoint, there are a few areas in Old Town East of Sgt. Alfred that as a single 20yo old you may want to avoid, but aside from that Slidell is a pretty safe place.

Hope this helps and feel free to PM me should you need further info. I have been living in the area for a couple of years now after escaping NOLA.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,363 times
JNOLA,

Thanks so much for your reply! You mentioned a lot of helpful points. I'm going to do some research about some of the places you mentioned and if I have any more questions I will definitely PM you! Again, thanks so much for the help, I really appreciate it!

Old 12-13-2016, 11:44 AM

21 posts, read 90,609 times
Sure thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans