Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 697 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I’m in desperate need of advice, assistance and or a prayer.

So like most I applied for The Astra on Housing Connect when it was listed in February of last year on the site. In May of this year I was contacted by them notifying me they had placed my application within their 1bdrm 130% AMI population and had reached my log number. I of course in desperate need of housing viewed their available 1bdrm units and actually really found one I liked. Immediately upon leaving the viewing of the unit I notified them I wanted to proceed with the application process and emailed them my landlord packet. Fast forward to the last week of July they approved my application and return my landlord packet to me to submit to section 8. Immediately upon reviewing the packet I noticed they listed the “proposed rent“ as $2,218 which immediately shocked me being as the highest asked rent listed on the application on HC for a 1bdrm 130% AMI was $1,900. Is this legal? A friend of mines said since the closure of The Astra housing Lottery the city has granted landlords the ability to increase their rent by 2%…ummm $2,218 isn’t 2% lol.

What do y’all think I should do or can do? Any and all advice and or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2022, 10:28 AM

77 posts, read 64,887 times
Default Geez

This is always my concern with building that don’t clearly state rent stabilized. I believe not all lottery buildings are rent stabilized. Someone previously posted that their rent after a year or two is nearly market rate.

Old 08-12-2022, 10:47 AM

4,766 posts, read 6,555,721 times
You should ask them directly about the discrepancy. Will your Section 8 cover the higher amount?

Amounts are subject to change. It’s possible that when you applied, the 2021 AMIs were still in force, and now the 2022 AMIs are being used. Someone told me that the increase from 2021 to 2022 is 14%.

As far as future rent increases, there are two different situations. Most lottery buildings are rent stabilized. That means that rents go up by a certain amount, determined by a city board, each year.

A small number of lottery buildings are NOT rent stabilized. They use a formula based on the AMI. If the AMI goes up, your rent goes up. (I do know know what the exact formula is.) But if the AMI goes down, your rent will go down.

It’s important to ask if you will be give on a rent stabilized lease or not.

Old 08-12-2022, 05:17 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Don't believe this has anything to do with RS, that would only affect future increases, not initial base rent.

New AMI were released by HUD in April 2022, so maybe that is reason behind increase.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...7-new-ami.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...-april-11.html

Last edited by BugsyPal; 08-12-2022 at 05:30 PM..

Old 08-12-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Clear View Post
This is always my concern with building that don’t clearly state rent stabilized. I believe not all lottery buildings are rent stabilized. Someone previously posted that their rent after a year or two is nearly market rate.
RS affects future increases, not initial number offered at time of new lease.

Old 08-12-2022, 06:05 PM

2,005 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Clear View Post
(A building is not rent stabilized, it is the units within a building that are RS. It might be that all units are RS, or just a portion of the units. This is true of new construction and older buildings.)

If I understand correctly, this issue is not a rent increase for a tenant with a renewal. If that is so, I am not sure how much of rent stabilization is in effect in these circumstances. It seems more that is the initial rent the correct amount being offered.

Certainly, the original poster should be asking questions. Perhaps the first figure reflects a rent at the time of publication, then a year later new HUD AMI% data might have enable an increase over that Has the possible tenant changed what AMI% group the fit into? Is the offer for the optimum AMI% or a higher one?

Seek help, nyc.gov, 311, the offices of elected representatives.

Old 08-12-2022, 06:08 PM

77 posts, read 64,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
RS affects future increases, not initial number offered at time of new lease.
Copy. The last part gave me the impression this person already moved in. I see now they didn’t

Old 08-12-2022, 06:13 PM

FYI, The Astra Lottery ended April 12,2021. It took applications in early March, perhaps earlier. It possible the published figures were 2020 from HUD.
https://housingconnect.nyc.gov/PublicWeb/details/1988

Old 08-12-2022, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
(A building is not rent stabilized, it is the units within a building that are RS. It might be that all units are RS, or just a portion of the units. This is true of new construction and older buildings.)

If I understand correctly, this issue is not a rent increase for a tenant with a renewal. If that is so, I am not sure how much of rent stabilization is in effect in these circumstances. It seems more that is the initial rent the correct amount being offered.

Certainly, the original poster should be asking questions. Perhaps the first figure reflects a rent at the time of publication, then a year later new HUD AMI% data might have enable an increase over that Has the possible tenant changed what AMI% group the fit into? Is the offer for the optimum AMI% or a higher one?

Seek help, nyc.gov, 311, the offices of elected representatives.
As discussed at great length in linked threads adjusted AMI numbers released in April (or whenever HUD gets around to it), hit everyone except those really far along in lottery process. We're talking about leases already drawn up or something.

Those just starting out or otherwise not so far along usually will get hit with any change to AMI that affects their particular situation.

OP viewed unit in May, didn't receive a lease offer until end of July; both dates are past when HUD issued new AMI for 2022.

There could be other reasons for increase in initial rent such as that poster who got hit with $500. But IIRC that was a Mitchell-Lama building, the Astra is new construction (formerly a parking lot).

Astra lottery ended on 12 April 2022 just a few weeks before HUD finally released new AMI for this year. City still has not changed page on Housing Connect's website to show what if any changes were made to AMI numbers. But since lottery is closed guess they figure don't have to bother.

Old 08-12-2022, 07:42 PM

Default The Astra lottery ended April 12, 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Astra lottery ended on 12 April 2022 just a few weeks before HUD finally released new AMI for this year. City still has not changed page on Housing Connect's website to show what if any changes were made to AMI numbers. But since lottery is closed guess they figure don't have to bother.
The link I posted says the lottery ended April 12, 2021. Just to be clear. So, it might be that two increases have occurred since then first for 2021 and second for 2022.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery