Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2017, 03:29 PM

252 posts, read 349,058 times

Advertisements

so when it comes these "middle" income lotteries. can anyone apply? like is the only prerequisite needed is that you fall into the specified income bracket?

Are there any particular hard ships that you need to have? like for example, being a single mother/father? or have financial hard ship or some sort? what about credit scores?

If all it takes it to fall within a certain income bracket, i'd be a fool not to apply...haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 03:36 PM

31,947 posts, read 27,074,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logix1229 View Post
so when it comes these "middle" income lotteries. can anyone apply? like is the only prerequisite needed is that you fall into the specified income bracket?

Are there any particular hard ships that you need to have? like for example, being a single mother/father? or have financial hard ship or some sort? what about credit scores?

If all it takes it to fall within a certain income bracket, i'd be a fool not to apply...haha.

Mayor de Boob and city council have made these so called "affordable" or "low income" housing lotteries broad as possible. Aside from income requirements there are only a few other absolute strict prerequisites. Furthermore HPD has created various "preference" groups such as; disabled, homeless, municipal workers, homeless veterans, and maybe a few others. These groups have special allotments carved out of total units set aside for a given building.

But give it enough time, and in particular of BdeB wins again in November, in four years there likely will be many new set asides added. Gay parents, trans, homeless trans, ex-convicts, mentally unbalanced.... There is still a whole world of "disenfranchised" persons the city could force developers to accommodate.

Last edited by BugsyPal; 08-17-2017 at 03:54 PM..

Old 08-17-2017, 03:38 PM

994 posts, read 1,058,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsypal View Post
mayor de boob and city council have made these so called "affordable" or "low income" housing lotteries broad as possible. Aside from income requirements there are only a few other absolute strict prerequisites. Furthermore hpd has created various "preference" groups such as; disabled, homeless, municipal workers, homeless veterans, and maybe a few others. These groups have special allotments carved out of total units set aside for a given building.

But give it enough time, and in particular of bdeb wins again in november, in four years there likely will be many new set asides added. Gay parents, trans, homeless trans, ex-convicts, mentally unbalanced.... There is still a whole world of "disenfranchised" persons the city could force developers to accommodate.
:d

Old 08-17-2017, 04:45 PM

4,491 posts, read 3,938,879 times
WOW, and they say the L.A. real estate market sucks.

Good luck to all of you.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:27 PM

Can you apply to multiple lotteries at once? or just pick one and hope for the best?

Old 08-17-2017, 07:29 PM

532 posts, read 787,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logix1229 View Post
Can you apply to multiple lotteries at once? or just pick one and hope for the best?
you can apply for all of them
chance is really not in your favor if you aren't in any CB

Old 08-17-2017, 08:57 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,860,476 times
Looking for people who were shown apartments, signed HPD paperwork, and then put on waiting lists who think they have may have been discriminated against because they are single or gay. If anyone has experienced this please PM me. Class action lawsuit against the city could be a good thing for this to shake it up a bit.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:36 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,247,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Looking for people who were shown apartments, signed HPD paperwork, and then put on waiting lists who think they have may have been discriminated against because they are single or gay. If anyone has experienced this please PM me. Class action lawsuit against the city could be a good thing for this to shake it up a bit.
I know PLENTY of single people and gay people who have gotten apartments. They can only give single people studios or 1 bedrooms.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:28 PM

do they have a preference as to who they give the apartment to? what makes them discriminate against someone? Does the government program say that they have to give it to a single mother or father if they came first? or like someone who was disabled, etc?

I know this part might sound pretty discriminatory but do they try to find people who will "blend in" with the crowd of market rate tenants? I've seen this happen in LA at my friends apartment buildings that have low income housing programs. My friend told me that they would deliberately try to find other people who could blend in with the mix instead of standing out like a sore thumb so that people would have a hard time distinguishing who was market rate and who wasn't...

Old 08-18-2017, 07:47 AM

6,693 posts, read 6,050,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Good idea. But can you kindly explain why you think single people are discriminated against, and also, how they would know people are gay, unless they see some credit card transaction from a gay bar or something while doing your financial paperwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery