Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2022, 08:26 PM

333 posts, read 263,938 times

Advertisements

I remember someone saying they experienced this in another thread and it just happened to me. Has it happened to anyone else? Does anyone know why it's happening? I wouldn't be upset about it, but I'm not in the AMI bracket so I don't understand why I would even be reached out to.

Actually now that I think about it, it might be because I chose that I was interested in re-rentals. Not sure if that's correct but that's what my mind went to.

Last edited by Mevie123; 05-12-2022 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: Added re-rental thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2022, 08:38 PM

58 posts, read 32,641 times
What did the email say? I got reached out to recently to affirm my interest for the waiting list in my current building and I was just asked to submit documents because they have available units in my AMI. I never signed up for the lottery for my building either (it was from like 2010) but I did agree to be contacted about Rerentals which is why I’m assuming they reached out.

Old 05-12-2022, 08:52 PM

2,139 posts, read 1,760,469 times
This resembles a re-rental. You opt in and opt out of re-rentals in your Housing Connect account. It seems like they give potential applicants the benefit of the doubt on AMI% because applicants circumstances change and some don’t update their accounts.

Old 05-13-2022, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimazi View Post
What did the email say? I got reached out to recently to affirm my interest for the waiting list in my current building and I was just asked to submit documents because they have available units in my AMI. I never signed up for the lottery for my building either (it was from like 2010) but I did agree to be contacted about Rerentals which is why I’m assuming they reached out.
One email was from Housing Connect 2.0 and one was from iAfford. Neither mentioned this being a re-rental unit. Only instructions to submit documents before the deadline to view the apartment. Re-rental does seem to make the most sense.

Old 05-13-2022, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
This resembles a re-rental. You opt in and opt out of re-rentals in your Housing Connect account. It seems like they give potential applicants the benefit of the doubt on AMI% because applicants circumstances change and some don’t update their accounts.
That seems to make the most sense. I was very confused for a minute there. I wonder about lower AMI re-rentals though. This one was 130% with the rent of $2k+ for a 2 bedroom.

Old 05-13-2022, 07:24 AM

834 posts, read 807,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
Yes, I get these emails/texts all the time. They are typically single unit re-rentals. I usually decline, but recently received a very attractive one, so I sent in docs.

Old 05-13-2022, 04:19 PM

2,139 posts, read 1,760,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevie123 View Post
One email was from Housing Connect 2.0 and one was from iAfford. Neither mentioned this being a re-rental unit. Only instructions to submit documents before the deadline to view the apartment. Re-rental does seem to make the most sense.
My speculation, if you ever applied to anything at iAfford they kept your email address and send you offers. There might be a box to check to decline new offers, “unsubscribe” or such like, but you might miss out if you do that. I suppose iAfford is not going to put a lot of effort into refining the send-to list, instead they just hit send all and see if anyone responds.

Old 05-17-2022, 10:35 PM

298 posts, read 284,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevie123 View Post
I remember someone saying they experienced this in another thread and it just happened to me. Has it happened to anyone else? Does anyone know why it's happening? I wouldn't be upset about it, but I'm not in the AMI bracket so I don't understand why I would even be reached out to.

Actually now that I think about it, it might be because I chose that I was interested in re-rentals. Not sure if that's correct but that's what my mind went to.

Yes, it's because you're signed up for re-rentals. Which can have a great reward! Some of our best units are re-rentals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery