Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 04:06 PM

585 posts, read 585,073 times

Advertisements

Nyc just passed a bill that increased the amount of the city feps housing voucher to market rate...in nyc its better to be poor now...I might as well quit my job and get on city feps...the cityfeps voucher is paying 1900 a month for a one bedroom now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 04:15 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Hasn't passed yet, but is "expected" on Thursday.

OTOH it's giving away more taxpayer money from those that earn, to those that well, don't.

But since city is giving out these vouchers anyway expecting people to find apartments for the sort max money they were worth was a bit stupid.

Landlords OTOH who once used argument that city vouchers didn't cover full rent will now have that rug pulled out from under them. Thus they will either have to raise asking rents across the board, or start accepting these people.

Old 05-26-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Hasn't passed yet, but is "expected" on Thursday.

OTOH it's giving away more taxpayer money from those that earn, to those that well, don't.

But since city is giving out these vouchers anyway expecting people to find apartments for the sort max money they were worth was a bit stupid.

Landlords OTOH who once used argument that city vouchers didn't cover full rent will now have that rug pulled out from under them. Thus they will either have to raise asking rents across the board, or start accepting these people.
It's insane ...Im for people helping themselves but most of them are just gonna use the system get a apartment in a building and destroy it ...I seen it happen to many times people on housing vouchers move into a nice building and turn it into the nycha projects

Old 05-26-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku23 View Post
It's insane ...Im for people helping themselves but most of them are just gonna use the system get a apartment in a building and destroy it ...I seen it happen to many times people on housing vouchers move into a nice building and turn it into the nycha projects
IIRC these vouchers aren't like Section 8, a permanent lifelong subsidy. Rather they only last a definite period (five years) after which holders are supposed to be on their own.

https://www.landlordsny.com/blog/wha...d-to-know-feps

Other than that will agree terms are generous and about to become more so. But you also have to remember NYS is only one in union where "caring for the poor" is mandated by constitution. That has turned housing into a *right* in NYS and NYC.

Old 05-26-2021, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
IIRC these vouchers aren't like Section 8, a permanent lifelong subsidy. Rather they only last a definite period (five years) after which holders are supposed to be on their own.

https://www.landlordsny.com/blog/wha...d-to-know-feps

Other than that will agree terms are generous and about to become more so. But you also have to remember NYS is only one in union where "caring for the poor" is mandated by constitution. That has turned housing into a *right* in NYS and NYC.
I understand that but I think the homeless from other states are gonna come to nyc just to get the voucher and if I'm paying 2000 for a apartment it isn't fair that these people are gonna come and destroy the property alot of these people don't work or anything they not gonna value anything because they don't have to pay for it

Old 05-26-2021, 05:51 PM

248 posts, read 402,602 times
I am heartened that my tax money goes to support keeping over 15,000 children out of shelters and hotels. Not to mention that housing a homeless family in a hotel costs the city more than 3 times what the new maximum voucher will be every month.

I personally believe that housing should be a guaranteed right, and I do not believe the myth that poor people don't value what they have. The system in this country is stacked against anyone who finds themselves experiencing homelessness. You can't get a job if you don't have a place to sleep, bathe, and eat. You can't get a place to live if you don't have a job. You can't concentrate on school if you haven't eaten or slept. You don't want to go to school when you're bullied for not having a place to live or clean clothes.

There are a lot of struggling families in this very wealthy city who deserve a stable and safe place to live.

Old 05-26-2021, 07:30 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,731,547 times
I grew up in a low-income building. We ran it ourselves and kept it clean (no janitor; we mopped and scrubbed ourselves). Safe and peaceful. Most people kvetching about how they don't want their rental building "ruined" by poor people would never dream of getting down on their knees to scrub their own entryway.

Old 05-28-2021, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxietyBiscuits View Post
I am heartened that my tax money goes to support keeping over 15,000 children out of shelters and hotels. Not to mention that housing a homeless family in a hotel costs the city more than 3 times what the new maximum voucher will be every month.

I personally believe that housing should be a guaranteed right, and I do not believe the myth that poor people don't value what they have. The system in this country is stacked against anyone who finds themselves experiencing homelessness. You can't get a job if you don't have a place to sleep, bathe, and eat. You can't get a place to live if you don't have a job. You can't concentrate on school if you haven't eaten or slept. You don't want to go to school when you're bullied for not having a place to live or clean clothes.

There are a lot of struggling families in this very wealthy city who deserve a stable and safe place to live.
Listen to Mrs. Vanderbilt!

Old 05-30-2021, 09:40 PM

6 posts, read 6,469 times
Quote:
It hurts to hear comments like this. I have s8 and I am not one to turn a nice building into the NYCHA projects. Just so you know... I don't do drugs or even drink. I stay to myself, go to work, go to grad school and take care of my family. I am not a bum. I work. I am working towards getting off the voucher because it is not something I want to pass down to my kids. I want to pass down a house, investments, bonds, etc... I can't do that on a housing voucher. I don't fit that mold. But, people love to think that we are all destructive and we all smoke weed, drink and act crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxietyBiscuits View Post

True. It cost a family of three 5k a month paid by the city. 5k! 1/3 of it can be used to actual fund housing units. Homelessness is big business. NYC invest more into homelessness services than actual housing opportunities.

Old 05-30-2021, 11:55 PM

15 posts, read 18,079 times
Quote:
I understand that but I think the homeless from other states are gonna come to nyc just to get the voucher and if I'm paying 2000 for a apartment it isn't fair that these people are gonna come and destroy the property alot of these people don't work or anything they not gonna value anything because they don't have to pay for it
Goku, this comment is absolutely disgusting. First of all, the process to obtain a voucher is arduous. It is exhausting and something that only those truly desperate are willing to go through because it is incredibly demeaning and soul crushing. No one is coming to NYC to take vouchers. It doesn't work that way. They don't hand them out like hotcakes. Oftentimes, you have to be living in a shelter for over 1 year before you are offered a voucher. Oftentimes the voucher holder is a victim of domestic violence or has a disability (both of which need to be documented and are heavily screened).

The idea that you associate people living in poverty with destruction of property is absolutely disgusting. I've known plenty of rich artists and spoiled kids who've destroyed their apartments. It's because they're so privileged they just don't care. I had a roommate many years back who made 6 figures who left me to paint and repair the apartment we shared because they just didn't care, either. And I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but voucher tenants are held liable for destruction of property just like everyone else. The fact that you think people don't value things just because they aren't able to afford it without assistance shows your privilege. Stop judging people until you've walked in their shoes. I'm disabled and I was taught to always leave a place better than I found it. And when I'm given the gift of a home to call my own, I will take care of it and keep it spotless because it means more to me than you'll ever know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery