Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2024, 01:22 AM

3 posts, read 1,110 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if East Midtown Plaza still prohibits all dogs, even Service & Medical Alert Dogs?

I used to live there (the place was mine originally -- then I added a live-in partner's name to the shares like an idiot, which the management said was required to upgrade to a 1BR from a studio).

Anyhow, because of a super-messy breakup situation not of my own making (he moved a new lover in while I was away working), I left.

It's been more than ten years now -- but I might be able to move back there in future (if my ex- moves in with yet another new GF). Except I'd given up on ever getting back in again and adopted a dog.

He's a registered service dog and I could conceivably get medical alert certification (I have a seizure disorder) ... maybe ... the pup wasn't young when I adopted him and now he's 16 and needs care himself. .

Anyhow, is the "no dogs" rule as strict as ever? I'd love to move back in to EMP if I can (I retired due to disability and am low-income), but I'd live in my car with the dog rather than leave him behind.

(I did ask my ex- to ask EMP management this question a couple of months ago and he said he would but he never does).

Thanks for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 12:46 PM

76 posts, read 40,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasssy View Post
Does anyone know if East Midtown Plaza still prohibits all dogs, even Service & Medical Alert Dogs?
They cannot legally ban trained service dogs. Reminder for others: they are not to be confused with "emotional support" or "therapy" dogs. Fwiw, PTSD dogs for veterans tend to fall under non-service since they aren't trained to perform a service.

If your dog still provides their trained service, he should be protected. If he's too old to perform his tasks at 100% (e.g. everywhere you go) but not replaced with a new service animal, it may also be fine or, at least, a gray area. This overview of basic rights includes help lines for further information. Reach out.

https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/file...ls-english.pdf

Most important takeaway: Protections for valid service animals trump building no-pet policies. Federal ADA trumps city and state laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery