Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 08:25 PM

520 posts, read 844,382 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this subject already came up. If it did, would love a link. There's been a slew of kids with cardboard signs around the city and some parts of queens. Near ramps or on blvds. There is something different about these panhandlers. They all looks very white, in their early 20s, fit and tanned, often with tattoos, dreads and cut off shorts. In other words they look like pseudo-punk/hipster/artsy/squatter type, possibly with wealthy families here or in the midwest (I'm totally assuming this one). They have a very specific/uniform look and identical signs. I get very annoyed, because they look young and capable, sometimes it's a couple that take turns, sometimes two guys, sometimes one.

People in cars give them money, and that pisses me off. There are people out here without papers, with no money, who are older, have families to support and they are working their asses off to earn a dollar in menial jobs. Yet you have these kids, who have a lot more and don't have the same responsibilities and they are homeless? Really?

Has anyone else noticed? Is this some organized group, lifestyle, movement, philosophy? I need to know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 12:38 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,235 times
They're just a new generation of bums/vagrants/addicts- the crunchy young type with a dog or two in tow? I noticed a huge uptick of them in my neighborhood when OWS started. Some may have come into the city riding the OWS wave and never left, probably looking for freebies or to panhandle at the camps since idiots were throwing free food and money at them. That's my best guess. I've seen the same tactic used in the late 90's, so it's nothing new... But the population explosion has been recent. There's 5 groups of them that roam around my block, one of them had his pit bull shot by the cops when he passed out on the sidewalk (probably an OD) and the dog went postal whenever someone tried to get close enough to help.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:01 AM

5,123 posts, read 4,971,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
They're just a new generation of bums/vagrants/addicts- the crunchy young type with a dog or two in tow? I noticed a huge uptick of them in my neighborhood when OWS started. Some may have come into the city riding the OWS wave and never left, probably looking for freebies or to panhandle at the camps since idiots were throwing free food and money at them. That's my best guess. I've seen the same tactic used in the late 90's, so it's nothing new... But the population explosion has been recent. There's 5 groups of them that roam around my block, one of them had his pit bull shot by the cops when he passed out on the sidewalk (probably an OD) and the dog went postal whenever someone tried to get close enough to help.

That explains partly the rolling deficit in social securty money as projected for ppl retiring after 202x...
The hard-working value is getting lost faster among new Americans. Whom to blame, the retiring generation or the Spoiled generation?

Old 08-20-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
The OWS thing crossed my mind. I don't remember seeing this in the 90s at least not in such large numbers, just as I don't remember seeing so many young women with hiqab. The girls of the 90s seemed more progressive than the women of today. I think the common thread is that younger generations are more obnoxious and less creative. Anyway, that's totally off topic.

I was just really surprised because of their appearance. They were all tall, well fed, tanned, very white and looked like they were really trying to look grunge. They have no shame in walking up the windows of the cars flashing their sign. Some of them would drive up to the ramp, park and start begging, that was just hilarious. And people gave them money!

The only one that threw me for a loop was a young guy, I think of Hispanic descent, who had a sign stating that he lost his job has a wife and kids and needs money to eat. I was torn, because he looked like one of them, but I could have been wrong. He was at that same spot where the rest of the douches were the day before. I really feel like slapping them all.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Whom to blame, the retiring generation or the Spoiled generation?
Definitely a tough call. Probably a combo.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:23 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
The OWS thing crossed my mind. I don't remember seeing this in the 90s at least not in such large numbers, just as I don't remember seeing so many young women with hiqab. The girls of the 90s seemed more progressive than the women of today. I think the common thread is that younger generations are more obnoxious and less creative. Anyway, that's totally off topic.

I was just really surprised because of their appearance. They were all tall, well fed, tanned, very white and looked like they were really trying to look grunge. They have no shame in walking up the windows of the cars flashing their sign. Some of them would drive up to the ramp, park and start begging, that was just hilarious. And people gave them money!

The only one that threw me for a loop was a young guy, I think of Hispanic descent, who had a sign stating that he lost his job has a wife and kids and needs money to eat. I was torn, because he looked like one of them, but I could have been wrong. He was at that same spot where the rest of the douches were the day before. I really feel like slapping them all.
Yeah it wasn't that common in the 90's and 00's I do remember a few young hippie types with those "travelling need money" of signs in my neighborhood. They stood out from the ratty looking bums who appeared old and haggard. They looked healthy and able-bodied, so it stood out as strange that they were begging since it was obvious they were more than physically capable of working a job. The past couple of years (ows) it's like a small army of them have claimed the EV/Union square area, and from what you're telling me it's not the only place they've gravitated to. They go wherever they think they can get a handout. They leave once the freebies dry up, so I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of these peeps were kicked out of Zuccotti park.

If you're torn with who to give money/food to, here's my advice. Never give money. Offer food instead. A drug addict will insist on money, a person who is truly down on their luck and starving will NOT refuse food. If I see someone begging for money on the street and it tugs at my heart string this is what I do: I approach them and say "See that au bon pain (**or insert food store name here**) over there? I will buy any food you'd like in that store, just pick out what you want and I'll buy it for you." If they give you ANY pushback, they're druggies looking for their next hit and not worth your charity. 99% of the time they push back with some excuse "oh I just ate. Can I have money instead?" or "No, I'd feel bad taking food from a stranger." and that's your cue to walk away. You'd be shocked how many will squirm away from an offer of food. If they're hungry they will accept any offer of food while dripping with gratitude, and these are the ones deserving of help- feel free to give them a little cash after they've accepted the food if you want to since they've passed "the test".

There were a few times I offered my groceries in hand to hungry panhandlers who looked genuine after leaving whole foods (there's a lot of beggars around Union Square). So if you see that Hispanic man with the sign that he needs moolah to feed his family, and you happen to have spare groceries with you after a shopping trip, offer him some food and see what happens.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:31 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entangled View Post

I don't think you can really judge "younger generations" based solely on the appearance of a few young panhandlers.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Yeah it wasn't that common in the 90's and 00's I do remember a few young hippie types with those "travelling need money" of signs in my neighborhood. They stood out from the ratty looking bums who appeared old and haggard. They looked healthy and able-bodied, so it stood out as strange that they were begging since it was obvious they were more than physically capable of working a job.

If you're torn with who to give money/food to, here's my advice. Never give money. Offer food instead. A drug addict will insist on money, a person who is truly down on their luck and starving will NOT refuse food. If I see someone begging for money on the street and it tugs at my heart string this is what I do: I approach them and say "See that au bon pain (**or insert food store name here**) over there? I will buy any food you'd like in that store, just pick out what you want and I'll buy it for you." If they give you ANY pushback, they're druggies looking for their next hit and not worth your charity. 99% of the time they push back with some excuse "oh I just ate. Can I have money instead?" or "No, I'd feel bad taking food from a stranger." and that's your cue to walk away. You'd be shocked how many will squirm away from an offer of food. If they're hungry they will accept any offer of food while dripping with gratitude, and these are the ones deserving of help- feel free to give them a little cash after they've accepted the food if you want to since they've passed "the test".

There were a few times I offered my groceries in hand to hungry panhandlers who looked genuine after leaving whole foods (there's a lot of beggars around Union Square). So if you see that Hispanic man with the sign that he needs moolah to feed his family, and you happen to have spare groceries with you after a shopping trip, offer him some food and see what happens.
Good suggestion, and a good barometer. I think those suckers are more clever than that. They often hang out by freeways/cars/ramps, in other words they approach cars knowing that there is a slight chances that these drivers will offer them food since they are on the road and can't stop at a deli, etc. Clever huh?!

I remember when I offered one bum food and said that we can go to the deli and I'll buy him a sandwich instead of giving him money. He said that he has a special place that's very far away where he likes to buy his meals, because he can get the biggest bang for the buck, so he'd rather have the money. Cheeky bum!

Old 08-20-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I don't think you can really judge "younger generations" based solely on the appearance of a few young panhandlers.
You're right, but I don't think I do. There is quite a lot of evidence to support my judgement.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:38 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
they are just trying what they've seen
others do all their lives i guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City