Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 06:43 AM

461 posts, read 2,000,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
The problem with renting to section 8 people is that there is more downside then upside. If you have a bad tenant it can take 6 months to a year to get rid of them. But watch this. If you have a bad tenant on section 8 they can hurt you by causing damage to your apt and cause you not to get your money from the government until it is fixed.
Yes you're right. Then the landlord's section 8 payments will be suspended until ALL the damages (caused by the tenant) are fixed. I'm telling you...it's NOT worth getting section 8 tenants regardless of section 8's portion of the rent always being on time. And that's one of many reasons why section 8 tenants are discriminated against and landlords are refusing to rent to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 02:35 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
We have a rental apartment in our house and our first tenants were section 8--I would never do it again. Blaring music, lots of extra people living there, they brought roaches and wouldn't let the exterminator in, overflowing the bathtub and then not answering the door, complaining about the heat in winter while standing in front of us in shorts and a tank top, I could go on and on...

And it took forever to get them out and when they left they broke every light fixture, made holes in the walls. Walking in there a cockroach fell on my head. I wish I was making this up. This was a totally new apartment when they moved in and it was completely trashed and filthy beyond belief when they left. We had very little security and they owed us back rent (from their portion).

I'm sure there are great section 8 tenants, but I couldn't take the chance after what we went through.
That is a bad story. Once you get cockroaches they are very hard to get rid of. Were you ever able to get the cockroaches out?

Old 08-13-2010, 02:37 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Yes you're right. Then the landlord's section 8 payments will be suspended until ALL the damages (caused by the tenant) are fixed. I'm telling you...it's NOT worth getting section 8 tenants regardless of section 8's portion of the rent always being on time. And that's one of many reasons why section 8 tenants are discriminated against and landlords are refusing to rent to them.
But can you tell me something, is it possible for people who are bad to get kicked out of section 8? Does the government ever look at the damages the tenants cause? What about a security deposit?

Old 08-13-2010, 03:33 PM

461 posts, read 2,000,618 times
Quote:
But can you tell me something, is it possible for people who are bad to get kicked out of section 8? Does the government ever look at the damages the tenants cause? What about a security deposit?
In a free market rental environment, if the section 8 tenant turns out to be a trouble maker, drug dealer or just a plain undesirable tenant, all the landlord has to do is not renew their lease when it expires and the problem is taken care of.

HOWEVER, here in NYC, we have what is called RENT STABILIZATION (created by liberals), where despite the tenant being undesirable, they are ENTITLED to get their lease renewed. Hence, you are STUCK with the tenant techincally for LIFE unless they take it upon themselves to move (highly unlikely) or if they comit some kind of crime in the building that the landlord can PROVE and show documentation it exist to housing court in order to do a holdover eviction.

However, 95% of the times landlords see with their own see drug transaction from his section 8 tenants but are unable to prove it in court other than saying he witness it which won't stick in court. Hence the riff-raff continues.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:59 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
That's a good question.

The government is quick to judge landlords and punish them for "transgressions" against the Section 8 program, but does the government ever take a look at some of the repeat troublemaker tenants and just say, "Enough already! You have caused problems everywhere we have sent you with that Section 8 voucher and we are taking it back!"

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Old 08-13-2010, 04:22 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
I have heard (not verified) that if a section 8 tenant does not comply with the section 8 rules, which means they don't pay their portion or purposely damage the apt, they are kicked off welfare. However, the reality is the city must find housing for these people, so if they do kick them off section 8, the city is ultimately responsible for them and will put them in some other program to sucker another landlord.

So long as the city is mandated by law to house every man/woman/child that says they are homeless, all these programs will exist and sucker Landlords over and over again. I do agree that there are some good tenants, but to me and in my experience, it is not worth all of the trouble at all. I would rather leave my apt vacant for 6 months seeking a working tenant than take a tenant on a government program...I have learned my lesson the hard way...you only get me once.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:34 AM

12 posts, read 107,452 times
Thank you very much for posting. I am sorry so many landlords went through hell with some section 8 clients. However, I cannot understand how they were able to remain on section 8 while doing this. HPD will cancel section 8 when landlords submit paperwork for non-payment or for destroying the apartments (this can happen with non-section 8 tenants as well).

Did anyone call the police and started a paper trail?----tell them that you smell marijuana smoke and that different people are coming into the place at all hours of the day and night. That should get their attention. On top of that, if you do not want to take them to court, simply contact their case worker who will notify them that their payments will cease. That is the best way to get rid of terrible tenants like those.

Section 8 tenants being served with an eviction notice and having their payments cease will not be able to get on any other programs----period------will be blacklisted (check the housing courts archives for their names and social security numbers), and lastly, if they are professional tenants, they will be out on the street without the marshall's help---they know what is coming for them.

My mother rented to a non-section 8 tenant and after they outlived their security, we started our paper trail immediately (keep a log book of infractions with time and date, actions made, and response of tenants: serving of holdover notice with an increase in rent due immediately---slide under their door, sent via postal mail, and posted on their door. They do not want to go to court because you can look them up now. Bad tenants generally do not want to appear in court because they will have to defend themselves and will not be able to do so but cannot afford not appear due to a default judgement against them.

The best way to deal with terrible tenants is to do what you have to do quietly and just have your letters ready to serve them immediately upon default of the residential lease or rental agreement. If they are "tenants at will" with no lease, month-to-month or with an expired lease, you can evict them sooner than you thought. Serve them with paperwork citing NYS law for non-payment and threaten them with legal action. They know that a court date is near and NYS housing law do not look kindly on non-paying tenants period. Do not confront them at all. Do not speak to them.

If they are habitually late on their rents, you can adjust the lease and make an ammendment or addendum increasing the late fees----making them roll over from month-to-month until all past due amounts are paid in full.

If worst comes to worst, tell them you wish to inspect the place in one week. If they refuse, call for police support citing smelling pot, hearing loud banging noises, or call child welfare for their children citing abuse from second-hand pot smoke.

I am a part-time employee / section 8 renter (2 years) who lost her full-time job in 2007 and am finishing up a Master's Degree at John Jay's College of Criminal Justice. My mother owns properties but never rented to Section 8 individuals for fear of everything I have read in the posts. It saddens me to hear that someone could do that to another person's home.

Mom does not have vacancy for 3 bedrooms now (what I need). Most of her properties are studios - 2 bedrooms. I help her rent some of her properties 5 years ago and was given the opportunity to act on her behalf and could not believe how the last tenant left the place.

I do sympathize and empathize with everyone here in the posts. The reason for my addressing the need to find compassionate landlords is because I am planning to move from my current apartment and wish to get some insight for the housing market and the general mindset and opinions of landlords in NYC.

Thank you for sharing and I hope my post was helpful----not every section 8 renter is ghetto, uneducated, have children by different fathers, disrespectful, and have poor hygiene----to date, no one knows I am a section 8 renter.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:38 AM

5 posts, read 21,753 times
Default New Section 8 Question:

If a tenant IS kicked off the program, and Section 8 gives 30 notice that they will no longer be subsidizing the tenant, as a landlord, can we take this as 30 day notice that they are leaving our home, or if not, can we evict based on this.

The problem is, the lease is not tailored to section 8, rather, to the tenant.
However, it seems implied that the condition that we rent to the tenant is because of government funding, so really, we "approved" the government as much as the tenant, and if the gov is pulling out, that changes the conditions of the tenant.

But I'm afraid that we have to wait 30 days until we no longer receive gov rent, and then when the tenant fails to pay them self, 1st begin the eviction process, which really stinks because it means we can't even put up a for rent sign of begin showing the house until then.

Is this the case, or can we as "hoped", take the section 8 30 day notice of no longer paying as a move-out notice?

More: The tenant is being kicked off presumably for causing trouble with neighbors or crimes not permissible by section 8.
There is a neighborhood police patrol that essentially told us we need to get them evicted because they don't want this tenant in the area, or they will find a way. They found a way and that was to talkt o section 8 and get them kicked off the program, and now we need to figure out our end what to do.

I think, if crimes, which weren't disclosed ont he lease app, we can evict them based on that.
The city told us that they would expedite the eviction and this would be the fastest, hand walked through eviction we/ve ever seen.

Still, I'm worried about us being sued by the tenant if we don't do it 100% properly, even if the judge "blindly" rules ont he side of eviction.

Also, the tenant has the right to appeal to section 8 to not be kicjed off.
How does that factor in?
Can we pursue eviction, based on non-rent payment, not knowing if the tenant's appeal is eventually approved or not?

I kind of feel (am afraid) that we need to follow the lease as if section 8 weren't in the picture, and that notcies of them no longer paying are irrelevant, and only become relavent WHEN the money actually stops and the tenant falls behind, and that tenant's appeal to section 8 is not our concern.

Any thoughts appreciated...

Sorry --followup question: If the tenant does damage, possibly intentionally, way beyond the deposit we are holding, does section 8 take any responsibility? --or is there any section 8 dept that we can make a claim to for possible re-reimbursement?
I think Section 8 has rules and limits regarding the lease and security deposit, so it seems that should be a 2 sided sword which also implies some responsibility/liability on their part as well?

Thanks in advance again...

Last edited by leebirnbaum; 10-13-2010 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: additional question

Old 10-22-2010, 11:18 AM

220 posts, read 372,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by each one help one View Post
Where are the good compassionate landlords in NYC? I know that a few still exists. Some had bad experiences but haven't we all? Please don't discriminate against Section 8 voucher holders. There remain many hard-working part-time workers looking for a decent place to live in NYC.

I want to hear from all compassionate landlords willing to try Section 8 as a mean to rent out their apartment to qualified hard-working people. Please reply
Well, I see the CD Section 8 Bashers are trolling and patrolling as usual. My psychiatrist is a very wise man and he says self-pity is the greatest barrier to personal progress. Many people on this Forum prove how right he is, they love to put down anyone who got something easier than they did, and b**** b**** b**** is the their equalizer. I take personal pleasure in warning good people such as you who do not fit the stereotype, the majority of us don't, to play with these wretched, poor, unfortunate souls, and not take to heart anything they say. If they weren't stewing in the self-pity pot, they wouldn't be happy. (And it is so much easier than real action.) I'm usually too busy to come to this website, but I'm in a dastardly mood and I have a little free time, so I couldn't resist my guilty pleasure.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:48 AM

220 posts, read 372,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by each one help one View Post
Where are the good compassionate landlords in NYC? I know that a few still exists. Some had bad experiences but haven't we all? Please don't discriminate against Section 8 voucher holders. There remain many hard-working part-time workers looking for a decent place to live in NYC.

I want to hear from all compassionate landlords willing to try Section 8 as a mean to rent out their apartment to qualified hard-working people. Please reply
I wish I lived in the same state, my goal is to get there as soon as possible. I live in HI and in the house where I live, we are all good Section 8 tenants with the exception of two, one is in the process of eviction (she is delusional and health hazard) and the other has some sort of arrangement w/landlord to get some reduction in rent that frankly makes him(tenant) a pain in the butt as he isn't the smartest guy in the world and not the most hard-working. I believe that landlords and good tenants must work together to improve Section 8. In my house, one lady works so hard, I never see her; my next door neighbor works hard, too, and is ideal tenant; and I work in my community garden to grow my food because the c*** the gov. subsidizes isn't fit for animal, much less human, consumption. I also have PT job and sell crafts when I'm not too wiped out to make some (not as young as I used to be and not in good health). I'm such a good tenant, I keep my food garbage in freezer so no bugs will be attracted to it as I don't like cockroaches, rats, ants in my apartment. I do have a cat (who has charmed her way into my ll's good graces), and her food scraps are in freezer w/ mine. Only the cooperation of good tenants and landlords who don't make "deals", but insist on responsible behavior and are firm on it, no matter if it involves a child that might end up in shelter or on street, will get the low-lifes off Section 8 and make way for the hard-working, responsible tenants such as myself. And I have a college degree, and graduated summa *** laude, so the people out there saying that ALL Section 8 people are an "underclass", until you met each and every person on Section 8 and make a compilation of our situations in life and our educational backgounds, STOP STEREOTYPING!!!!!!!!! If you have poor tenants, YOU are also to blame. Then again, it is so much easier to b**** than to work to improve a system that can benefit both landlords and good tenants alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery